Dobbin

Originally posted by Pawan@Apr 11 2008, 06:56 PM
I haven't seen the "episode"? did hear a bit on tv today but what about the punters in the betting shops, they couldn't care less about Dobbin, they wanna win some dosh. :rolleyes:
Yes - which is why they all backed Dobbo :rolleyes:

They'd have been the first to lynch McAllister, let alone the Weighing Room

Pawan

An - Awful - Lot - Of - People - have - to - back - a - Horse

To get it to ODDS ON!!!

They sure as hell weren't backing anything else!!

No they don't; if a bookmaker doesn't want to lay it he'll just stick it in at prohibitive odds.

In this case, the horse opened at 1/4 and actually drifted out to 4/11.

I don't remember the figures, but I was watching it in play on Betfair and so far as I remember there was plenty bet on the race - almost all of it on Ballyvoge.

As I understand it, bookies now make their price primarily from the Betfair odds...

Slightly as I remember, but not that much - I wasn't watching that closely as I didn't bet on the race
I tend to follow it all on BF radio so have the page open.
They were quite funny after the race -
"Well would you say you've seen those jockeys riding more vigourously?"
"I bet the [BF] forum will start going crazy any minute!"

It's true to say that the vast majority of bets in a race with a 1/3 jolly are on the favourite, but it's also true that the vast majority of bets laid are also on the jolly. That's not said in relation to this case, but just to point out the mathematics of betting.

Let's clarify one or two things here. This was not strictly a fixed race, merely one in which everyone expected a certain result (Ballyvoge was a genuine 2/5 chance on form, it's not like Dobbs has gone and won on a 50/1 rag!), and where the way the opposition were ridden was governed by their expectations. Michael McAlister didn't expect his mount to get anywhere near Ballyvoge, so he didn't plan in advance how to stop it. He merely found himself unexpectedly challenging an unwilling favourite in the closing stages. At this point, he's probably in a quandary ~ his horse isn't "expected" and everyone is cheering for Tony Dobbin so what does he do? In the end he panics somewhat and makes it look rather farcical.

This wasn't some race fixing scandal in any way and no-one was landing a coup. It doesn't really bring racing into disrepute, it's just a little silly. It does need to be addressed though, while the stewards should be wise to it in advance and give the jocks a talking to pre race "I know you'd all like to see Dobbin win, etc etc but this is a proper race and there's no place for sentimentality; if I think you haven't tried, I'll have your guts for garters..."

An excellent post Rory, you have put your finger on the nub of it
- this was c*ck up not conspiracy :P

Back