Doncaster meeting.

I like Larchmont Lad in that 7f conditions race. Impressive winner of a maiden the form of which has worked out reasonably well and he's available at 6/1 or thereabouts. Compare and contrast with Rivet, impressive winner of a maiden which hasn't worked out at all to date, but odds-on in some places for the Group Two Champagne Stakes tomorrow.
Good to hear. I have backed him as well.

Perhaps it is the serial after timers they are attacking DO, rather than people claiming they had a good win many, many years ago! I think I put up enough losers on here for people to know I'm genuine!

Really looking forward to the conditions race, could be 2,3 or 4 really, really good horses in that race. Ones to watch next year. I do like Senator though at that price. Fancy it to battle right to the line, it is just whether there is a real hot one in the race that has shown it's true colours yet. Should be a truly run race. I'd have never backed 2 year olds but it was Colin's thread that got me looking into them a bit more deeply.

Battersea ran 2nd in last season's Mallard, despite sweating up and racing with the choke out early. Carries 7lb more today, but apparently ran the race of his life in last month's Ebor.
Well supported in the market, too.

Battersea ran 2nd in last season's Mallard, despite sweating up and racing with the choke out early. Carries 7lb more today, but apparently ran the race of his life in last month's Ebor.
Well supported in the market, too.

Yes, he's one of my short list of four possible winners and the list doesn't include the favourite or Fabricate. He's the shortest price of the four so I let him go on value grounds. I backed the two at the longest prices.
.... I’ll be surprised and disappointed if the winner isn’t one of Elidor, Oriental Fox, First Mohican and Battersea. I’m going to stay with Oriental Fox as the main bet. He only lost out to St Michel last week and the latter is allowed to take his chance off a very unfavourable mark in the Cup in the next race. It may well be that Oriental Fox was up against a well-handicapped rival. The down side is that he hasn’t had a lot of recovery time so a saver is required. I’m very scared of First Mohican but I think Elidor and Battersea have a bit of class so prefer them, with Elidor getting the vote on value grounds.

Back on to the thread, Senator today is a bet for me. Frankel two year old, I've backed it both times so far after hearing Fahey's manager behing really bullish about it and how much it would improve for the first run. It has been really keen/green both times doing it's best work in the final furlong. I honestly can see it winning today with the extra furlong and then upped to a mile next year or further.

I also like Ardad today dropped back to 5f at a decent each way price for a Gosden/Dettori horse. Didn't seem to see out 6f last two times.

Finally - Polarisation is worth a chance. Bombed in this last year off 4lb lower but end of a long season. Note only had two races this year and whilst not looked in good form this will have been the target and confident kept fresh.

Good luck all.

Well that is a great start, couldn't believe the price this morning. Seriously good week if one of the other two come in. Impressive over 5f in those conditions, can see why they tried Ardad over 6f. Strong.

Not so much you or PTP, Gus. More an attempt to highlight that certain usual suspects on here tend to pick and choose whom they attack.

The racing section of the forum has been refreshingly civil for a while now so I don't think you should have any more worries on that front Dessie.

Well I have to say there was plenty unsatisfactory about that race. I'm not sure the pace was as "pedestrian" as Nick Luck was making out since the pacemaker ended up out the back and a couple of the pressers faded late. If it was a slow pace then it makes Elidor's tactics all the more puzzling, being dropped out sharply at the start. Maybe De Sousa thought he only had the favourite to beat. I'll need to see the race again but I reckon he made as much ground in the last three furlongs as the winner. Wall Of Fire looks a very big improver indeed.

Battersea's run has to go down as disappointing but maybe being re-shod at the start was a factor. Oriental Fox, as I feared, was probably feeling the effects of his most recent race and is maybe also being trained for the Cesarewitch. I won't be giving up on him just yet.

First Mohican probably ran up to his best but I thought the difference in riding style between his rider and the winner's was very noticeable. You'd never have known the winning rider was a claimer let alone a girl. Hollie Doyle looked amateurish by comparison but she at least got her horse to run his race.

I need Quest For More to minimise losses on the day :(

Oh dear DO I thought Baker got about a neck in front with a quarter of a furlong to go amd relaxed, then panicked as he suddenly realised he was back in a race.

What a slag of a day.

Nemoralia and Tis Marvellous ran like drains, couldn't decide between Wall of Fire and Battersea in the Mallard but had come down on the side of the 3 year old, that is until Varian's won the opener so backed Battersea instead for the red-hot trainer.

Then was heavily reliant on Quest For More.

I'm unhappier about his going too fast in the first mile. I thought he was holding the winner right up until the last stride.

Such is life. I don't mind getting beat if I get a run for my money (which I don't feel I got from Oriental Fox or Elidor).

Mukhaynis has a shout in the Portland off his effort in 4th when impeded at a vital time in the Epsom dash.
Stays 6f so a fast 5 1/2f should pose no problems ,Will appreciate a flat track, stall 22 and the forecast ease in the ground.

Pleased with St.Michel's run in the Cup, have 16s about him for the Ces.

Not pleased however with the weather forecast as I think the Portland is the ideal race for Shamshon but soft ground would put me off. I also hope Cumani pulls my Cambs fancy Banksea out of the 4.50 if it gets too deep. Although in saying that Bronze Angel ran in this the year he won his second.

Richard Pankhurst (3.10) looks the business, and it's significant that Wm Buick hangs around for the ride before flying to Leopardstown.
Harbourmaster (4.20) won as he liked latest, and a 7lb rise shouldn't be enough to stall a repeat.

I'm seriously sweet on the chances of Shamshon in the Portland. Rated as high as 106 a couple of years back prior to injury he is absolutely capable of winning off 95.

5.5f will be perfect, he's been unlucky in his last three outings (draw, impeded...) and a repeat of his Sandown run two starts back from a 1lb higher mark than today, when he should have won with something in hand, would make him incredibly hard to keep out of the frame with his good draw.

The booking of James Doyle is a bonus and Jamie Osbourne no stranger in picking up this type of race.

14s 5 places with 365 happily taken.

Well that sums up this ******* meeting.

Hope Seamie is okay and congratulations to winning connections.

Back