Doncaster sales

Aldaniti

At the Start
I see a few are leaving Manor farm today!

Oumeyade, goes to Mc Cain

Montevideo, sold to S marriage, who if I'm not mistaken is Simon & that means he will be running as a pointer next season locally!

Natal, Richard Venn bloodstock

Mr Pointment, P murphy

Tricky Trickster goes to Manor farm for 320,000

Montevideo was never a Nicholls horse, was he? Trained by Jonjo and then Pat Haslam for JP I believe.

I see the confusion ~ Manor House is Pat Haslam, Manor Farm is Paul Nicholls

Last edited:
I was most surprised at Oumeyade out of them, to be honest. I guess they just thought he was at the top of his mark and there was nothing more to come from him.

Will be interesting to see who he bought Tricky Trickster for.

He bought Tricky Trickster for Esher based owner Chris Giles,who has a few with Nicholls at present,Red Harbour being one.

I'm gutted that Tricky has left Twiston-Davies, love him and think he would have been better staying there, but The Million In Mind always sell. It's not that I don't like Nicholls, I do, but Tricky is a National horse and Nigel does better with that sort than Paul does.

Why do they always sell their Horses?

Because it gives them the chance to buy again and actually not cost the members anything. If you think about it, Mysilv, Garde Champetre and Tricky Trickster gave them some great days out and in their sales have probably paid for every other horse they've had. It's not a bad model.

They always buy decent horses and almost always sell at a profit. It's a very well-run syndicate. I remember them winning at Huntgingdon on the same day as Penzance - with Voy Por Ustedes! What a shame they sold him LOL

The members don't make a profit, but Mr Bromley certainly does.

I'm surprised people get involved then at all. If they get involved to win races you'd think they'd hold onto the horses for a second year. The only reason to sell after one is to make a profit. If the members see none of this, then I wouldn't join it. What exactly do the members get out of it?? Does Bromley just buy to sell and get people to pay the training fees in return for some sort of feeling that they are actually involved??

Here's a long-winded (sorry, I've forgotten how to compress them!) link to some stuff about Bromley: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ho...tenham-Penzance-thrives-in-elite-company.html It's ancient, but it does roughly set out MIM's ethos. (I love the remark wondering how VOY POR USTEDES will work out for them!)

Million in Minders now cough up £4000 to belong, and there can only be 180 of them (they did kick off with 200 originally for £1500 each), and they sell off their horses, as the article says, regardless of how well or how badly they've done. Not quite sure what the pay-out is on those sales, though. Bromley is, of course, a bloodstock agent who bought KAUTO STAR (for £400K) and MASTER MINDED for Clive Smith, and has raided France very succcessfully for some years, having discovered the desirability of French hurdlers and chasers to buy, readymade, before anyone else did, it seems. His top customers are Nicholls and King, so it's hardly surprising that their yards should sport so many French imports.

He has to make a living out of what he does and it's no good breaking even, so of course he'd have to make a profit in order to pay himself a salary. What the deal is for members of MIM is, regarding profits on the horses that he's bought for less and sold for lots more, I don't know. Maybe the members don't get any more than the prize monies their horses win, shared out evenly among members at the end of each season? I couldn't find a website for MIM, tbh, so if anyone can - congratulations!

Last edited:
The Million In Mind is run on behalf of the British Bloodstock Agency, and only managed by Highflyer Bloodstock / Bromley. See
http://www.directoryoftheturf.com/profile.cfm/searchid/7824

It's not a huge syndicate - only 180/200 shares per annum - and the members do OWN the horses, see:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4161/is_20021027/ai_n12856793/
They are always sold as then everyone knows exactly where they are

Simon some of us know from FF how young you are, but people are less forgiving on this board - as I warned you when you joined - and you'd be wise to do your research before sounding off (esp about anything to do with Nicholls and his agents)

I always though MIM were shrewd operators and assumed the members owned the horses and got their share of the sales price, or as I said above, why would you sell.

It's £4,000 * 180 = £720k. Do we know what the current batch cost?

I don't know if that info is available anywhere - presumably in the MIM accounts, which may be accessible via the BBA. The point is, because Bromley is such a good purchasing agent they have done very well and usually manage to buy a better class of horse, so giving themselves a higher chance of success.

The members do get the profit on the sale, and presumably most re-invest the following year. I assume Bromley is paid his bloodstock agent's fees in the usual manner, and a management fee on top.

I expect there are forum members with far more info than I have, Cantoris. VOY POR USTEDES was bought for 106,000 gns 4 years ago, TRICKY TRICKSTER was bought for 40,000 13 months ago and sold at DBS for 320,000, GIORGIO QUERCUS also sold at DBS for 112,000 gns. I'd say that Bromley is a very shrewd eye in the NH business and I'd imagine that whatever profit he personally makes, the MIM members must get some sort of return on their investment. You surely don't knock out £4K for the lottery of free owners' badges, and a bun in the owners' bar?

I said what I said because Minton & Bromley own the bloodstock and then sell it on. As far as I'm aware, the MIM members don't anything, Minton & Bromley own the bloodstock and lease it to the partnership for the year.

Headstrong touched on this earlier, but how is selling a horse for £100k who then goes on to win almost £1m "shrewd"?

Back