Doncaster sales

Headstrong touched on this earlier, but how is selling a horse for £100k who then goes on to win almost £1m "shrewd"?

Or selling a horse for £550k that goes on to win a few cross country races not "shrewd"??

Overall, they consistently turn a profit from their approach and regardless of what they think of a horse, they sell them all after one year. You must remember, MIM was set up originally to buy flat horses for the Irish Million, similarly to Kennet Valley. They sold the horses after their two year old careers as that was what they were bought for.

It's a philosophy they have stood by and the members should have done very well as a result. Over the years I'd hazard a guess they have made more than they spent on the horse purchse. You can't get them all right but plenty of trainers have given away horses that do well for other stables. just look at Silver Birch.

Yes, like FAIR ALONG! :D And JOE JO STAR, claimed out of a selling hurdle last winter for £6,000 and now rated 40lb higher after landing the Swinton Hurdle earlier this month... there are a few horses which go on and punch well above their perceived weight, particularly once they've changed yards.

I said what I said because Minton & Bromley own the bloodstock and then sell it on. As far as I'm aware, the MIM members don't anything, Minton & Bromley own the bloodstock and lease it to the partnership for the year.

Everything I've been able to find on MIM online - and it's not much - says that the members are in an ownership syndicate, and at that price, surely they would have to be. You don't pay 4K without full ownership perks (ie prize money and sale profits) esp if there are 180/200 of you!

Bigger syndicates - I can't remember the exact number of members, but it's over 8 iirc, where you are a syndicate rather than a partnership - have to be registered with one or two names as the 'owner'; but this doesn't mean the syndicate doesn't have proper ownership shares.

Bigger syndicates - I can't remember the exact number of members, but it's over 8 iirc, where you are a syndicate rather than a partnership - have to be registered with one or two names as the 'owner'; but this doesn't mean the syndicate doesn't have proper ownership shares.

These are the ways that you can own and race a thoroughbred in this country:
Sole ownership one person.
Co-ownership:
Joint Ownership is between two and 12 people.
Racing Partnership is between two and 20, with two nominated named partners.
Racing Club (or syndicate) – Members receive benefits associated with ownership such as race entry badges and involvement with the stable and sometimes a share of prize money, but do not necessarily own part of the horse.
Company ownership
Business partnership
Leasing – i.e. for a set period of time.

Back