Down Royal

• Thread starter Thread starter Gearoid
  • Start date Start date
Nice one Cantoris, took some 9/4 this morning based on your confidence....:)

I didn't see the race. God I'm just thinking of the bet I had on her for the Supreme!! now I won't cry in my cup too much as had a nice bet on her at Crimbo when she won but I thought last season she had supreme written all over her and spent most of Jan trying to convince Colm to go for the Deloitte. Then she picked up a niggle. We were only chatting over a coffee the week before last and he was in two minds whether to take on the big boys or not. I thought the Hattons was her race....thinking of Solerina and how good mares can catch the big boys on the hop in that race. He clearly can place them better than me. He has a tremendous reckon with mares. but as he says himself, he doesn't care whether they are mares or geldings. A nice change of luck for Colm too. He hit the crossbar copious amounts of times during the Summer but has a nice squad for the winter. Roll on Big Zeba and Kimberlite King.

Nice one, Cantoris.

Can't say I'm surprised that she was gambled today. She had a clear form chance, and was 3lb better than handicap terms at the weights.

Well done Cantoris.

The only surprise for me was how Go Native was anything close to evens.

I think Go native prefers better ground. I'm not saying he would have beat the mare she was impressive but it might explain the price. Also he went out like a light, we'll see is he scoped or what do they come up with.

Nice one, Cantoris.

Can't say I'm surprised that she was gambled today. She had a clear form chance, and was 3lb better than handicap terms at the weights.

Were you on the Murphy steamer at Hexham, Grassy?

Go Native certainly stopped as if something was amiss.

Can't say I'm surprised that she was gambled today.

Well the stable is known to have a few bob on although Colm doesn't back himself. They are rarely far off.

I'm not sure Voler wouldn't be as good on better ground. She just goes through soft ground well. What is different about her this year is she settles. Ruby got off her at Fairyhouse and said to drop her in trip to settle better. I've never seen a horse pull from the start of a race to the home turn at Fairyhouse and still only be beaten 5 lengths.

Glad some of you had a few bob on. not often I say much about Colm's here.

trainer Colm Murphy revealed the David Nicholson Mares' Hurdle is her main target.
He said: "We'll put her away for a little while. It was a big ask to win today and there are no immeadiate plans.
"She'll runat Christmas and the big plan is the David Nicholson at Cheltenham."

There's a mares race at crimbo i think. An unusual condition in the Nicholson is that you can't have won a grade 1

Worn out watching these races...ground looks very testing.

Yup Majestic Oak who needs goodish ground also went out like a light. he had been withdrawn from Cork and they needed to get a run into him. I think he could be smart, well bred.

trainer Colm Murphy revealed the David Nicholson Mares' Hurdle is her main target.
He said: "We'll put her away for a little while. It was a big ask to win today and there are no immeadiate plans.
"She'll runat Christmas and the big plan is the David Nicholson at Cheltenham."

There's a mares race at crimbo i think. An unusual condition in the Nicholson is that you can't have won a grade 1

Great stuff Cantoris - good to see VLV win again :)

Rather a bizarre condition to be fair - nearly as bad as the Triumph only being open to Novices :lol:

Shame Channel4 didn't bother and show a replay of Notre Pere's fall there. Looked (though hard to see) like the jockey asked for a big jump off the wrong stride. Disappointing as the race was just getting going.

Andrew Lynch looked seriously upset after the fall. Its not easy to get a big ride in the best races so you would have to feel sorry for him if it was his error. Andrew Mc on the other hand gave The Listener an ABC ride.

I think THE LISTENER gave Andrew Mac a schoolmasterly ride - just check out the dear horse, approaching the earlier jumps with his ears pricked, measuring himself up for his take-off. Grand display. As for NOTRE PERE - good luck seeing anything, with the feckin camera distance! Can't Down Royal afford one more cameraman for its better meetings, for God's sake? The horses were the size of beetles on the horizon - ridiculous. Overall, the filming was well below par, well below the quality of the card, the horses' performances and the jockeys' riding skills. It didn't do the meeting justice.

I understand the point you are making Kri and maybe you are spot on but Andrew Mc is a hell of a jockey and does not need the best horse to win a race.

Last edited:
Great to see The Listener winning with such style - his jumping was superb; as it was in te old days before he started making mistakes for a season or so.

Andrew Lynch looked seriously upset after the fall. Its not easy to get a big ride in the best races so you would have to feel sorry for him if it was his error. Andrew Mc on the other hand gave The Listener an ABC ride.

Why would you feel sorry for him if it was him who made the mistake?

Hamm, you seem to be an expert on everything on the forum especially with hindsight. If you knew the first thing about Irish racing, which you dont you would know Lynch is an honest potentially top class rider. That mistake today might cost him the ride.

Gearoid,
You seem to have popped up again lately.

Please point out these expert and hindsight examples?

If he made the mistake, then why shouldnt him losing the ride be up for discussion

The answer to your first part of your post is all over the forum. Im not bored enough to point it out until you question my post.

Back