Eating horses

With the amnesty cull of horses in Ireland being touted, where exactly does everyone think the carcasses are going to end up ? It's going to need funding somehow, considering the economic state of the country, so I'd guess the pet food industry will certainly be buying.

I have no beef (couldn't resist it) with folk who don't want their beloved horse entering into the food chain after it's had to be destroyed for whatever reason - their horse, their choice and, if they are prepared to pay the extra for cremation or whatever, of course it's their right.

But they don't have the right to criticise any one who chooses a different path for their horse's end, as long as it's done humanely. Personally, I would far rather any of mine had a 'useful' death when it happens, rather than wasting fuel unnecessarily on cremations or burial (if it's permitted). If by 'useful' that means they are eaten by either humans or their pets, that's great. Gets my vote everytime.

I would guess jockeys would be far more pragmatic about it than most - they make their living, after all, from riding horses and so horses become the tools of their trade. If you are endlessly getting on and off them all day, I guess you would become slightly detached from them in a personal sense (although hopefully not literally because they keep falling off:cool:).

I am extremely fond of my pedigree Blues that I work with every day, most of whom won't enter the food chain until they reach an age where they can no longer breed but it doesn't stop me eating beef!

I imagine there are people in China who have beautiful pet cats, but who might still eat one of the poorly-despatched thousands which are eaten as a matter of course in one of the provinces. If PETA's ghastly video is right, they're just stunned by a smash to the head with a rock, then skinned mostly still alive, if not sentient. Chinese, Koreans and Phillipinos have for eons hurled trussed live dogs into boiling water to scald and drown to death - they say it makes them easier to skin - prior to hacking them up for their dog stews. I think the Vietnamese might also do the same to man's best friend. I haven't eaten cat, dog, or knowingly eaten horse, but if I were from cultures where such methods of despatch and dining were the norm, I'd be surprised by cultures which didn't eat them, and quite happy to have the non-eating breeds as my pets. Horse-eating jockeys probably feel the same way - they ride a particular type which they don't eat, but they have no qualms about eating those bred to be served at table.

With the amnesty cull of horses in Ireland being touted, where exactly does everyone think the carcasses are going to end up ? It's going to need funding somehow, considering the economic state of the country, so I'd guess the pet food industry will certainly be buying.

I have no beef (couldn't resist it) with folk who don't want their beloved horse entering into the food chain after it's had to be destroyed for whatever reason - their horse, their choice and, if they are prepared to pay the extra for cremation or whatever, of course it's their right.

But they don't have the right to criticise any one who chooses a different path for their horse's end, as long as it's done humanely. Personally, I would far rather any of mine had a 'useful' death when it happens, rather than wasting fuel unnecessarily on cremations or burial (if it's permitted). If by 'useful' that means they are eaten by either humans or their pets, that's great. Gets my vote everytime.

I would guess jockeys would be far more pragmatic about it than most - they make their living, after all, from riding horses and so horses become the tools of their trade. If you are endlessly getting on and off them all day, I guess you would become slightly detached from them in a personal sense (although hopefully not literally because they keep falling off:cool:).

I am extremely fond of my pedigree Blues that I work with every day, most of whom won't enter the food chain until they reach an age where they can no longer breed but it doesn't stop me eating beef!

All fair points.

Can anyone tell me where all the Maktoum horses not kept in training en up at the end of every season?

Loads of fillies and mares go through the bloodstock sale rings and the classier colts - Tatts, Donny and Ascot. They also run a rehoming where you can purchase a cast off for very little money - I believe they do check to make sure you're kosher (!) though and the passports are endorsed.

Back