Ellen Macarthur

I find the crabbing of Ellen Macarthur's achievement rather extraordinary, to be honest. I understand, appreciate and agree with the view that breaking the record for sailing round the world is of no outstanding value to mankind as a whole - and it should be seen in that context. Nevertheless, have people become so wrapped up in themselves that they are no longer able to appreciate the aspirations, achievements and abilities of others?

I have not knocked her as such!! I was the first to add to this thread with congratulations... oh and second with a bit of nostalgic music words that I found as very fitting at the time :D

But when people start saying that she will pocket £3-1/2 million pounds it somewhat takes the gloss off the achievement and it was monies that they were after as well....that’s why people are now feeling a little bit aggrieved nothing more?….. :o :rolleyes:

But the achievement goes without saying it was brilliant .......

and espeically for a lady ? I know a lot who can't read a map to go 10 miles by road....... :D :D :D

only joking MUTTS & DIM I might have a hit man trying to do me in... if it was not a joke.........

Originally posted by Muttley@Feb 8 2005, 08:44 PM
I find the crabbing of Ellen Macarthur's achievement rather extraordinary, to be honest. I understand, appreciate and agree with the view that breaking the record for sailing round the world is of no outstanding value to mankind as a whole - and it should be seen in that context.  Nevertheless, have people become so wrapped up in themselves that they are no longer able to appreciate the aspirations, achievements and abilities of others?
Muttley,

I don't think it has anything to do with people being ''wrapped up in themselves.''

As a ''human achievement,'' it's worthless IMO, as a ''sporting achievement'' well, how many people care about sailing compared to more popular sports like football (or even horse racing? :lol:)

I beat my personal best playing the spider solitaire card game on my pc the other night - where's the BBC camera crew? Don't they ''appreciate the aspirations, achievements and abilities of others?'' :lol:

I think that anybody crabbing Ellen's remarkable achievement should really go away and read her book. I was given this as a pretty mcuh unwnted birthday present a couple of years ago by my brother & thought in a pretty ungrateful way "whathe hell do I want a book on boats for?" I had zero interest in sailing r her. But she is a truly amazing lady. She's 5ft2 and yet she manages a boat (yes ok it was specially designed for her) that is vast - on sleeps lasting no more than 20 mins at time - she's gone 71 days with no human contact.

And this isn't just a one off - 4 years ago she became the youngest person to complete the Vendee Globe and also the fastest woman to circumnavigate teh globe - no other Briton had sailed solo around the wolrd faster. And she wasn't some spoilt kid who happened to decide she wanted to sail one day - she has grafted incredibly hard all her life to achieve her dream - she even saved up her school dinner money to buy a boat.

The book is remarkable and she is remarkable - to have such passion for something from such a young age and to achieve it so consistently in what must have been a male-orientated environment. I say she thoroughly deserves her damehood, supposedly it was the Queen who insisted on this not Tony.

JinnyJ, I have read that book, it's an amazing story.
Can't wait for her diary to be made into another programme.

I beat my personal best playing the spider solitaire card game on my pc the other night - where's the BBC camera crew? Don't they ''appreciate the aspirations, achievements and abilities of others?''

In the words of Ian Davies....' who gives a flying **CK!'

Ian, you just can't leave it alone can you?

While you're about it, perhaps you could tell us why we should also sneer at the England World Cup-winning rugby team, Steve Redgrave and Kelly Holmes?

As for England winning the football World Cup in 2006, no doubt you'll be first in the queue to rubbish them if they do.

Sport is hardly the be-all-and-end-all of life, but can't we recognise and applaud sporting greatness when it's served up to us?

Venusian, old chap,

I think you've misunderstood my point by a country mile. :lol:

I don't suffer from any alleged ''British disease'' - if you actually bothered your bottom to read postings before blundering in you'd see I said I'd be in raptures if England won the 2006 World Cup.

Which I would.

Because I'm interested in football and find it compelling to watch (though, actually, I'm not jingoistic, I appreciate non-British sportsmen and women just as much as I appreciate British ones, and the main reason why I like the England football team right now is that they have some world-class players. B)

And it was also compelling viewing, watching Kelly Holmes at the Olympics (though those blokes you alluded to constantly handling an egg-shaped ball and splashing about in boats didn't do much for me, frankly :lol:).

And this extended, self-indulgent, nautical jaunt from Ellen wotshername is neither a good spectator sport nor a staggering feat of mankind-enriching human endeavour, IMO. :lol:

Oh, for Christ's sake, leave it off, you two! Who the feck cares if she isn't saving lives in Outer Bronchospasmania - are YOU, Ian? Is Tony Bloody McCoy, every time he drives himself like an introspected, unsmiling, miserable sonofabitch towards yet another entirely boring, pointless, useless-to-humanity, non-fund-raising Championship?

And, if jockeys weren't such self-indulgent, suicidal, vainglorious idiots, the vital, life-saving, humanitarian ambulance, paramedic, AND the St John Ambulance services wouldn't need to divert services needed by the really ill to attend every single lousy horse race, every meeting, every day, in this entirely money-oriented BUSINESS of horse-racing, in which you, Ian, expect to do rather well, I believe?

This is her JOB - she's a professional sailor. David Beckham doesn't play football because he thinks the shirts are cute - it's his JOB. Muhammad Ali wasn't expected to save the lives of little black babies in Africa every time one of its' many countries had a civil war - he was a professional boxer, for God's sake. And, along with loads and loads of people all over the world, who are the best at their chosen job, they make plenty of money, they achieve often extreme goals, and they feel good about themselves for doing it.

As a matter of FACT, for the couple of you carping about how she should be doing good deeds with her life, she DOES. Perhaps you don't actually bother to find out about these things, because, as you've already said, she doesn't interest you. Well, David Beckham's game doesn't interest me at all, but I believe he has donated rather a fair amount of his time, and money, to working with poor kids. Oh, additionally, of course, her endeavour has given a wodge of work to the building and fitting of the trimaran, to its systems and operators, and ground staff - thus providing incomes for others.

If what she's done and what she does for her income doesn't interest you - so what? Leave it at that. She doesn't have to become Mother Theresa and Save The World, any more than YOU, in your work, and with your income, do, Ian.

No mum, I'm not saving lives in ''Outer Bronchospasmania'' - but then I'm not having the BBC waste licence-payers money by flying out to me (and rightly so :lol:).

I'm simply making the point that her ''JOB'' is a ''JOB'' most people - to be honest - aren't interested in, whereas they are interested in Tony McCoy, David Beckham et al.

Making comparisons with me, is feeble - Mum, I'm not in the limelight (and rightly so) and IMO this pointless act of aquatic bonkersness shouldn't be either. :lol:

PS: Where's my fucking pressie? :lol:

Tony McCoy is INTERESTING? To non-racing people? No, wait, I got it right first time: Tony McCoy is INTERESTING? Ian, get back on the anti-delusion pills. :)

Well, happy birthday, dear boy. But I suppose it's only fair, on your 35th or 38th birthday, to let you into a little family secret. You were, in fact, born a poor black boy in Alabama, with only your sixth brother's shoes to shuffle in, every second Monday. Now, I know this will come as a bit of a shock to you, especially after those first ten years wearing your older sister's outgrown dress, being your folks were so poor. But you just looked so cute and smily, as you pranced about on the porch to 'Old Zip Coon' on your uncle's ukelele. I just couldn't resist picking you up and taking you away with me (Heaven knows, with fifteen kids, your Momma didn't know you were missing until five years later).

I was so proud of the way you so quickly learned to eat with a knife and fork - why, within three years, I could even put you up to table, and take you off the kitchen floor. Remember the fun we had, trying to get you into trousers for the first time? Let me see - yes, I think we finally managed to get you into them for your 18th birthday, which was a nice surprise for your 'Auntie Mabel', who'd fainted at your 17th. I remember her quite clearly saying what a big boy you were.

So, dearest, now that you've finally learned all your times tables, can manage joined-up writing, and have (your darling wife has told me just this week) taken the training wheels off your bikey-wikey, let me send you all the love that a real Mummy would send, and much, much more. And here's a little cheque for £50,000 to put into Mr. Piggly-wiggly...

Your adoring 'Mummy' xxxxx

B&Q do you know their plants went up 20p a tray on Sunday some one has got to pay for it(their sponsership) nothing is for free........... :o and the decking £5 .............

Originally posted by simmo@Feb 9 2005, 01:34 PM
I understand that she broke the law by sleeping on her boat. Now what if she'd caused an accident?
and she was seen eating an apple while driving it ( sorry sailing it)

A number of Primary Schools were doing a project on "The Sea." Kids were asked to draw pictures or write about their experiences. Teachers got together to compare the results and put together some of the comments that were funny and some that were sad. Here are some of them. The kids were all aged between 5 and 8 years.

This is a picture of an octopus. It has eight testicles.
(Kelly age 6)

Oysters' balls are called pearls.
(James age 6)

If you are surrounded by sea you are an Island. If you don't have sea all round you, you are in continent.
(Wayne age 7)

I think sharks are ugly and mean, and have big teeth, just like Emily Richardson. She's not my friend no more.
(Kylie age 6)

A dolphin breaths through an asshole on the top of it's head.
(Billy age 8)•

My uncle goes out in his boat with pots, and comes back with crabs.
(Millie age 6)

When ships had sails, they used to use the trade winds to cross the ocean. Sometimes, when the wind didn't blow, the sailors would whistle to make the wind come. My brother said they would be better off eating beans.
(William age 7)

I like mermaids. They are beautiful, and I like their shiny tails. How do mermaids get pregnant?
(Helen age 6)

I'm not going to write about the sea. My baby brother is always screaming and being sick, my Dad keeps shouting at my Mum, and my big sister has just got pregnant, so I can't think what to write.
(Amy age 6)

Some fish are dangerous. Jelly fish can sting. Electric eels can give you a shock. They have to live in caves under the sea where I think they have to plug themselves into chargers.
(Christopher age 7)

My mom has fish nets, but doesn't catch any fish
(Laura age 5)

When you go swimming in the sea, it is very cold, and it makes my willy small.
(Kevin age 6)

When me and Sarah went to the sea side in the summer holidays, we hid in the sand dunes and watched my big sister doing it with her boy friend. It was fun.
(Lauren age 7)

A submarine goes under the water like a fish, but it has lots of seamen inside. (Emma age 5)

When I grow up, I want to be captain of a big ship, and have lots of sailors (Valerie age 6)

Divers have to be safe when they go under the water. Two divers can't go down alone, so they have to go down on each other.
(Becky age 8)

On holiday my Mom went water skiing. She fell off when she was going very fast. She says she won't do it again because water shot up her fanny.
(Julie age 6)

Copy of an e-mail received by B&Q customer services:

Dear Sir/Madam

My congratulations to you on getting a yacht to leave the UK on 28th November 2004, sail 27,354 miles around the world and arrive back 72 days later. Could you please let me know when the kitchen I ordered 96 days ago will be arriving from your warehouse 13 miles away?

Yours Sincerely

John Roberts.

Back