Exeter Commentary

He's a lovely rider indeed. Just got the two ATR reps at loggerheads as to his best course of action in that one. Putting money aside, and I realise that's very difficult when so much of it must've been down, my own thoughts were that he'd done the sensible thing. If FL really did stumble about, bearing in mind this is a Novice hurdle and he's trying to help the horse keep his confidence, then he was right not to pressure the animal.

By the way, two officials went out after the next race and it seems that one of them nearly lost a welly in a hole they found. Truly, it went in over his foot. The rest of the meeting was then called off. At the wrap, there was a shot of groundsmen back-divoting with spadefuls of earth, so a portion of the track was horribly wrong.

Unfortunately, Lee Mackenzie feels the need to ape the style of his good mate, who often sounds like he is on speed, Anthony Kemp. Unlike Kemp however, he doesn't quite seem to love himself so much nor worship the sound of his own voice.

Lee's quite a good giggle - I once introduced him to my colleague as Rufus Sewell (the actor, for anyone who doesn't know, who's playing the builder in 'Pillars of the Earth' on tv), and I thought he'd bust his stays laughing. He's always cheerful and quite self-deprecating - too bad if Kemp's infected him with his shrieky style. If Lee comes in to Lingfield any time soon, I shall have severe words with him - in a very quiet voice, of course!

Oh, he's nowhere near as shrieky, but especially in the days when he was on the tannoy at Newbury, he'd often sound quite Kemp-esque and can occasionally get carried away, wish I would guess is what Rory is describing. Mackenzie and Kemp are pretty good friends too.

Back