Fair play to Co-op Energy

Desert Orchid

Senior Jockey
As one of the customers affected by GB Energy's going bust, I have to say fair play to the Co-op Energy for honouring my current deal and prices.

My contract isn't up until the summer so I should get through the worst of the winter, which is yet to come, on a very advantageous tariff.

It takes away the concern over the situation at least in the short term.

Have been using this company since it started, always competitive with their best tariffs and receive points which turn into "money off vouchers" which are more than useful as we use their stores for daily requirements as it's just round the corner from us. They monitor our account regularly and reduce monthly direct debits if too much in credit as happened recently with the mild Autumn.They also send monthly reminders to submit our own meter readings for gas and electric, we don't see a meter reader more than once or twice a year.

edit...meant to say I reckon there will be a few more smaller companies folding before the Winter's out.

Last edited:
Has anyone had a 'smart meter' installed? NPower inform me I'll be getting one soon as the government have demanded that every household must have one fitted by 2020: not an initiative I was aware of, but welcome

Apparently there will be no more visits from the meter-man as it'll all be done remotely over a wireless network, and readings will be taken every day so that an accurate bill can be compiled every quarter. Which will make a change from my direct debit paying far too much during the summer and not nearly enough during the winter

There's also some gizmo included that reads the energy usage of individual appliances e.g. kettles

I switch as often as I have to and alighted upon GBE just over a year ago. I was already on a very competitive tariff with my previous provider and although the switching sites were telling me others were coming up a few quid cheaper (per annum) the customer reviews weren't great. Then GBE totally blew the competition apart. Based on the annual usage I'd put into the comparison tool, they were working out £1000+ per year cheaper then my existing tariff.

I submitted readings monthly and they sent round a reader a couple of times a year.

On top of the monthly savings on the DDs (which amounted to the £1k they'd said) I was still over £600 in credit last month. That would probably have come down over the next six months but not by much. I was trying to be a bit more careful with usage without sacrificing comfort but was still surprised to see the credit balance creeping up.

We are heavy users, though. We have a very big house and the heating is on pretty much 24/7/52 because of the very elderly mother-in-law who lives with us.

Indeed. Apparently people who know how to can 'see' into your living room via a smart telly.

(Assuming the telly is in the living room, of course.)

Which? were talking about how to disable the facility.

Yikes, we could find ourselves on Gogglebox without even knowing it.

Last edited:
Scottish Power announcing significant price rises today, fortunately just before all these price hikes began to be announced had locked into a contract with Coop Energy until end of February 2018 so plenty of time to evaluate what to do in twelve months time.

Back