Fallon! - The Movie

krizon

At the Start
Well, not quite, but he's on BBC1 tonight, nattering to Clare Balding for half an hour, from 11.25 - 11.55 pm.

I hope it's more confrontational than the bum licking interviews done so far since his return.

I thought it was poor but as expected. They basically go through all the things he's done wrong in life then basically say what a bloody nice and charming bloke he is.

His defence for the alleged affair and Ballinger Ridge ride were just comedy. Saying he gave the horse a great ride and they should change the rules as jockeys have habits to ease down too much, come on. When he denies passing information for reward and stopping a horse by saying "never", I just find it impossible to believe him.

He's a great jockey but he's simply not whiter than white and still isn't. He knocks about with some absolute vermin, and just because he got cleared in the race-fixing trial doesn't mean that he's never done nothing wrong on a racecourse, there was some pretty shocking evidence in that trial and everyone sweeps it under the carpet.

My thoughts on Fallon are well documented on here but I watched this on the basis that everyone deserves a fair hearing.

I've always thought the Ballinger Ridge ride was possibly the worst bit of prosecution evidence imaginable. I don't think for a minute Fallon set out to do anything other than win that race. He just made a bad mistake in easing off too early.

However, there was a programme on no so long ago which suggested that when a person's eyes involuntarily shift in certain directions they're lying and when they shift in certain other directions they're telling the truth. I'd love to know what they thought of Fallon's eye movements at key points in his version of events.

It struck me as obvious that the guy lacks whatever it takes for people to feel remorse. If he hadn't been a jockey, he'd have made a great hired assassin.

The series is called 'Lie to Me' with Tim Roth in the starring role. It purports to demonstrate the micro-expressions we use when we're trying to not be too overt in our responses to situations. Covering up guilt, lies, anger, or even suppressing happier but perhaps inappropriate reactions to issues (like trying not to smile when told your horrible husband's just been snuffed, and left you £3m). The shift of eyes to the left (the imaginative part of the brain) is supposed to indicate a lie, or at least not the whole truth. A downward glance can be guilt or shame, and Fallon manages to do both for a fleeting nano-second in his reply to that rather convoluted question, DO. Upward glances and especially to the right indicate a search of the memory, or thinking, area of the brain, for example if you're asked to recall a detail from some time ago. Surprise yourself one day by noting when you do that!

The programme is quite fascinating and I must say that the tiny, almost imperceptible expressions, which only an expert face reader might catch, do seem to ring true. I think it's likely that Fallon doesn't feel remorse for any hurt he's caused anyone, and I also think that the finale, where Clare asks whether he's likely to repeat the behaviours, is quite telling - it's almost a "Well, you know me - I might, I might not" response. As for whether he's still consorting with all those 'wrong people', who knows for sure, but it'd be difficult to kick them all into touch in one go.

Last edited:
The Natalie Cecil affair? What did he say, or am I getting the wrong end of the stick?

Clare asked him why he didn't deny it at the time and he responded with "well nobody asked me!"

He's had years to come up with a line and that was the best he could manage!

No idea, it's all alleged.

Surely if everyone speculates you've had an affair with someone you deny it at the time though?

reference Ballinger Ridge, what would any other jockey do when there 20l clear in the final furlong? everyone would ease up, an ill judged mistake, but not an intentional one.

I think it takes true courage to do what Fallon did on Ballinger Ridge. You'd never see someone like Tony Culhane doing that.

Back