Falmouth Stakes

DARJINA'S run in the UAE Hydra Properties Falmouth Stakes at Newmarket on Wednesday was in the balance on Monday night after the hot favourite was held up for ten hours in Calais.

Princess Zahra Aga Khan's triple Group 1 winner left Chantilly at 6am local time on Monday morning, but as a result of rough seas the ferry that was due to carry her to Britain was unable to cross the Channel.

Darjina had been installed asfavourite for the Falmouth - with William Hill as short as 6-4, but trainer Alain de Royer-Dupre, nearly 13 hours after Darjina's departure from his yard, told racingpost.co.uk last night: “The ferry has just left and she has already been in the lorry for ten hours.

“She has an hour or more to cross the channel on the boat and then another five hours on to Newmarket, which is very tough on her. We will see how she recuperates tomorrow before making any decisions on her participation in the race.”

Looking at the weather, I would have kept her at home.

The forecast was for heavy rain on Saturday last, for the Eclipse meeting. It was blazing hot for most of the day until a breeze got up about 4pm!

Can anyone make head nor tail of this? If the ground stays good I think the French filly will do it well, but aside from her it looks so open. Finsceal Beo cannot be backed off her prep and the others look like they need to step up a bit to land a Group 1. German filly could be interesting if it rains?

3:05 Newmarket - Falmouth Stakes (G1)
95.71 - Infallible (WIN)
93.84 - Nahoodh (EW)
93.07 - Darjina
92.78 - Kasumi (EW)
92.23 - Finsceal Beo
91.85 - Heaven Scent
91.93 - Majestic Roi
88.99 - Lady Gloria
86.74 - Love Of Dubai
* Hold no rating for Seachange.
* Hold no rating for Briseida.
* Hold no rating for Hip.

My ratings for anyone who fancies losing their money with me. :)

Its hard to judge Briseida, she won impressively but was 20-1, but overall I think this crop is not up to British Gr. I class - Briseidas runner-up got beat by Redolent, even though that was admittingly over further, but just to give you a measure. Think its great they go over and try, but should be tough. The colts now have a measure via Top Lock, who clearly run an honest race in the Derby, so thats about where we stand.
Cant have FB, so not looking further than the two Cheveley fillies, and Briseida might get lucky and finish 3rd?!

Winner deserved that but Infallible just did not get home over that mile in that ground.

Finsceal Beo actually ran better for a long way than I thought she would, it was probably the ground more than anything else that got her so tired.

Nice performance from the winner. Came from last. Bet Channon is pissed. Hard to believe that Godolphin didn't think she was good enough for them. Nick Luck is suggesting that maybe they sent her to Johnston as a reward for past work.

Once again Infallible is last off the bridle but can't quite do enough.

Finsceal Beo looked a big danger but flattened out quickly. Mixture of the ground and having to make up the lengths given away at the start, perhaps, but it doesn't exactly dispel suspicions that she's not in love with the game.

Fell in heap Gal, ground and a couple of quick races

I'd probably say enough too, if i could manage a gallop

In Germany the winner would have def. been diqualified. You really get away with murder in England! Or is it the Frankie/Haya-Bonus?

Finsceal Beo looked a big danger but flattened out quickly. Mixture of the ground and having to make up the lengths given away at the start, perhaps, but it doesn't exactly dispel suspicions that she's not in love with the game.

Can`t have that. She hates ground with cut and Bolger keeps running her on it. Heartbreaking to see her toiling behind fillies not in her league again.

In Germany the winner would have def. been diqualified. You really get away with murder in England! Or is it the Frankie/Haya-Bonus?

Nonsene, Dettori was trying to get the horse away from trouble, but Nahoodh was storming and looked hard to control it was going that fast, I think it cost Heaven Sent 2nd, but nothing was stopping Nahoodh today. Maybe you should look at the Irish Derby.

Can`t have that. She hates ground with cut and Bolger keeps running her on it. Heartbreaking to see her toiling behind fillies not in her league again.

Not in her league, well it is a true class horse but when you look at Nahoodh's classic run in the 1000 Guineas it was really unfortunante not to win that day and Nahoodh should not have ran at The Curragh or Ascot where the ground was not in her favour at all although the latter some dreadful tactics from Johnston didnt help her at all, but Nahoodh has alwys looked a Group 1 winner since she won the Lowther and in that field today deserved it most than anyone with the tough year she has had but she has prospered and has come out on top, and not even Darjina would have had an answer to Nahoodh, who has now shown on a straight mile it will take a monumnental effort to beat Nahoodh at Newmarket.

Nahoodh will prove it again.

Just watching the replay tonight, it's a pity that we've apparently seen the last of Seachange. She travelled like a dream for most of the race only to weaken in the last furlong or so. Given the fact that her trainer thinks she's ideally suited by 7f and fast ground (something her action also suggests), a stiff mile on easy ground would have been far from ideal for her and she ran a very promising race in the circumstances.

I would think something like the Foret or perhaps Maurice de Gheest might suit her well.

It was her last race yes, but like you have too in racing yo have to preserve the genes, and lets be honest her trainers had wasted her sending her to Ascot like that, it was a race it didnt need and could have done a fair bit better in the Falmouth if it never ran.

Back