Falmouth Stakes

Hamm

At the Start
Not sure is there a thread on this, but a good, interesting renewal.

On first glance, Goldikova looks rather big at 5/2, as it's more or less a bet about her coming back to last year's form, in which case she'd have a half a stone or more in hand.

Unless I get the feeling connections are not very confident, I think the chances of her coming back to form are 50-50 and she's worth a bet. Lush Lashes is a timely reminder though of how difficult 4 year old fillies can be.

To be fair to Darjina, she ran very well in most of her races at 4; a frustrating horse to have backed though.

Penny's Gift has to have a shot at least to place if she gets the soft lead that looks probable, 20/1 a bit big IMO.

Four words;

RAINBOW VIEW IS BACK !!!!

Hugely impressive for the first time this season when working with Buckingham Palace Stakes 5th Racer Forever over the weekend and completely left him standing. I've been in Newmarket since Saturday and we have had nothing but rain and lots of it, there will be plenty of cut in the ground today.

As for Penny's Gift easy lead, umm no chance. Spacious and Cosmopolitan will see to that.

I haven't been a fan of Rainbow View all season but what I've seen since Ascot makes me feel she could easily have come on 10 - 15lb since Ascot and the ground will be key to her. She gets herself easily worked up so back at Newmarket on the July course which is the one she made a hugely impressive winning debut, I just can't see her beaten. I don't think its a case of can she win, only how far will she win.

You haven't seen how good this filly really is this season but today she'll bloom and show them what she is made of.

I opposed her in the Guineas and the Oaks, but I'm changing my stance on her today. What I've seen in the last ten days has got me very excited. I think she could be an absolute moral today.

Can also pass on good words for Tiger Hawk (3.45) and Charger (4.20) who are very nice types and are expected to run big races having shown some promise at home with proven prospects.

Last edited:
The ground is now Good, Good To Soft in Places. Not the biggest fan of Rainbow View but she does look to have everything in her favour today and has no excuses.

I think it will become apparent today that Rainbow View hates the going she has been campaigned on so far this season. The ground has come right for her with another 6mm of rain yesterday on top of the 16mm on Monday and the uphill finish will play to her strengths. I could be wrong, but I think she’ll murder them today. Even on her form so far this season I'd fancy her, but like Flame I expect her to leave that form well behind. Remember she was going to be given a break, but is so well that she takes this in instead.

The official going is 'Good, Good to Soft in places' (Goingstick 7.7) after a cloudburst last night. Prosser said: "We had 6mm of rain yesterday, with a heavy shower hitting the course at 10pm. It's starting to brighten up now and I would expect that by the time of the first race today, the going will be riding just on the slow side of good."

Last edited:
The ground is bad news for Goldikova.

Probably so. The soft going was used as an excuse last time, although this is just on the soft side of good (it was firm at the weekend). Still I think the July course will suit RV much better than the favourite and can't get excited about her after her last effort.

Especially now the ground is eased, the race has Rainbow View's name all over it. I think she's better at these shorter trips [than 1m4f] although I suspect 1m2f could end up being her trip. She was taken off her feet in the Coronation yet stayed on well to take 3rd.

I think Goldikova is starting to get overbet for this. 3.1 earlier she is now available at 2.96.
It's not the sort of race I want to get involved in but I will if Rainbow View gets near 5/2.

If it is good ground, then I think the prices are about right for the front two and this is a no bet race.

If Spacious is ridden like she was at Ascot then we're gonna have a fearsome pace with Penny's Gift being a noted front runner as well. Shame about the ground as RV would be a good bet on GS.

Given that the ground looks to be verging on good, I'm willing to chance Goldikova coming back to form at 2/1.

Heaven Sent looks a decent EW price at 9's; wouldn't be surprised to see her reverse form with Spacious, who had the run of the race in the Windsor Forest and is still a filly I don't entirely trust.

Rainbow View...not good enough.

Winner cosy enough in the end but not sure she'll take much more racing.

Well Goldikova's won it, but I'm not sure that's quite the manner we expected if she is back to her best although I suspect the pace, nicely set by Murtagh for the benefit of his filly only, may not have helped her.

Back