Falmouth Stakes

Goldikova won it very cosily indeed; amazed that the runner up traded at 2.04 for decent sums, although I know how mechanically.

Peslier never looked the least bit concerned, did he?

Rainbow View ran a decent race, but I just got the impression her effort was flattening out near the line.

The winner did it well and looked quite comfortable to me. I guess if RV was going to win a Group 1 this season this should have been it, although I'm surprised Fortune didn't make more use of her given the far from strong pace. RV's pacemaker didn't contribute a lot.

She's the sort of filly that invites excuses. Here they didn't go fast enough on that ground over a mile. She is the Youmzain of the fairer sex.

I hope people continue to trot excuses out for her, she's simply not good enough and the longer people don't realise this, the longer her opponents will be overpriced against her.

She's the sort of filly that invites excuses. Here they didn't go fast enough on that ground over a mile. She is the Youmzain of the fairer sex.

Disagree with this. Youmzain runs well and finishes second in top races like the Arc; Rainbow View is an average - good filly, who will probably end the year rates around 113.

Wasn't an excuse. I don't see how she would have won this whatever tactics were employed, simply surprised they didn't make more use of her today and disappointed she wasn't good enough.

Last edited:
She really leaped forward when she got that last smack didn't she?

That was my immediate impression but I wondered if maybe she was moving away from the whip and the camera angle made it look like she jumped forward. She did it twice.

She also got me out of a hole today :)

He didn't need the whip on the winner. He was trying to keep his mount straight rather than getting her to go. The winner won quite comfortably and will come on for that.

Another expensive lesson for those that trust gallop reports over the form book.

I don't take any notice of gallop reports; as I have been at pains to point out in the past each gallop is tailored to suit particular horses anyway. I also don't believe reports of gallops that I haven't seen for myself.

In the case of Rainbow View I was hoping that with some ease in the ground and having been knocked over at least twice in ther last run, she might have a better run and win her race. As it was she was slightly disappointing, she looked to flatten out in the later stages and didn't show any turn of foot. Maybe she's a filly whose best form will always be her 2yo form but I wouldn't say that she hasn't trained on as most people would be happy to own a filly who was 'only 3rd' in a Coronation Stakes. I suspect that as she was so precocious as a 2yo she has found it harder to improve this year. I also think that she should step up to 1m2f after this as she was caught flat footed in the final stages.

It also turned into a bit of a sprint and she was up against a classier filly to begin with. The race was hardly run to suit RV for starters and she was brought up the unfavoured side of the course. I wouldn't give up on her just yet. In a more strongly run race (which the Coronation was) I'd fancy her to take Spacious and Heaven sent fairly comfortably.

I didn't think there was much to like about the Coronation run in context of yesterday's race, yes she got stopped in her run, but the only horses she ran past are those that burned themselves out by trying to go with the winner.

Interesting to see the older fillies asserting themselves when otherwise the older horses have looked likely tostruggle against STS and gang

I don't take any notice of gallop reports; as I have been at pains to point out in the past each gallop is tailored to suit particular horses anyway. I also don't believe reports of gallops that I haven't seen for myself.

I'm not sure Flame claims to observe the gallops though? I always thought he pays someone else to do this for him, (question of trying to be in two places at once). It strikes me that as a tool for finding winners it's very much down to the ability of the work watcher, as you'll often see gallops reports in the Weekender flagging up a set of different horses.

Back