Favourite Aintree memories

Absolutely my favourite meeting, although I've never been to the course (and have no plans to go! - it might spoil the romance for me LOL).

Most of my strongest memories of Aintree are the disasters, from Devon Lock through to McKelvey, via Beau unseating twice and What's Up Boys getting mugged, and One Man losing his life... and that awful year when Eudipe and three others came down vertically in line, and he was killed. But that just about sums up the sheer drama of it. Nothing else touches it for me, though I'm warming to Cheltenham in my old age.

Good memories - Corbiere, Mr Frisk, Earth Summit, Aldaniti, getting the 1/2/4 in Papillon's year when I was still having just the 'yearly bet' on the GN - lots of good memories too!

I just watched thre video of Foinavon's race again - never realised he'd run in that year's Gold Cup. I bet Sir Peter was cross he wasn't on the mic when the pile-up happened!! Sorry I never watched Attivo run - Sir P's favourite of his horses

Not a meeting for which I have a great deal of affection - one year I backed five winners on the Thursday but it was a bloodbath and several horses died :( Strong Promise was one I think ?

The National is a race I now can watch after all the safety improvements they have made though it is still a race where you end up with fingers crossed - after Alverton's death at Bechers in 1978 broken neck , writhing on the ground,when I was a kid I don't think I watched it live again until the mid 90s

Back