Favourite TV Comedy

granger

Senior Jockey
Just looked at Fawlty towers after a long absence and it got me thinking as to what are my fav tv Comedies of all time

Here is what I Have come up with

1. Curb Your Enthusiasm
2. The Office (UK)
3. Only Fools and Horses
4. Peep Show
5. Fawlty Towers
6. Phoenix Nights

The office without a doubt. Quite brilliant

Fawlty towers marvellous of course. Bilko i loved and why dontnwe see it now?

Royle family, phoenix nights, porridge up there too

The early auf weidesens are not quite sitcom but classic in own right. Early minders too.

For an obscure one, anyone remember big jim and the figaro club?

1. Frasier
2. Early Doors
3. Porridge
4. Dads Army
5. Fools And Horses
6. Allo Allo
Honourable mentions to Rabb C Nesbitt, Are you Being Served, Till Death Us Do Part and Nearest And Dearest.

Last edited:
Fraiser is good easy viewing and has an excellent cast but I just couldn't have it as my favourite ever

Father Ted was a notable absentee from my original

Not so sure i could put them in a proper order to be fair G, but the character Niles was just a superbly crafted character and had some of the best lines ever.

I lived in Australia for a year in 2000 and discovered Fraiser when there. I saw it basically every day for a year. I admire the simplicity of its viewing and the clever plots developed through a wonderful cast

Partridge watch them over and over along with father teds,black adders,league of gentleman!!:cool:

I have narrowed it down to 21

The Thick of It
Blackadder
Yes Minister
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Seinfeld
Peep Show
Phoenix Nights
Black Books
Porridge
The Simpsons
Father Ted
Cheers
Early Doors
The Royle Family
The Office
Alan Partridge (lumping all versions together)
Frasier
Cheers
Manchester United's Champions League campaign, autumn 2011
The Day Today
Brasseye

In no particular order
Yes Minister/ Yes Prime Minister
Curb Your Enthusiasm
The Office
The Inbetweeners
The Big Bang Theory

Should have added the first partridge series too but not the last...

Dads army was beautifully crafted

Sometimes felt i was only person in he uk who was indifferent to only fools and horses

How about worst comedy ever? Anything with vic reeves?

Should have added the first partridge series too but not the last...

Dads army was beautifully crafted

Sometimes felt i was only person in he uk who was indifferent to only fools and horses

How about worst comedy ever? Anything with vic reeves?

How about An Idiot Abroad? Or that thing about the dwarf? Or anything by the cretinous Ricky Gervais, including ridiculously overated The Office?

Best - Fawlty Towers by a mile, then Steptoe & Son, Dad's Army, Porridge, Early Doors, Outnumbered,Father Ted, Thick Of It

At the risk of **** taking from RG fans and others, both Not Going Out and Mrs Brown's Boys provide the only recent laugh out loud moments

Last edited:
For me the Thick of it lacked real impact because all the characters were grotesque and there was no residue sympathy. That was the skill of the office. Some very clever light and shade and remarkably believable characters. Even understated bit parts like Lee (who we all recognise) were played brilliantly.

Gervais's subsequent stuff has been of no interest. But thats not the point

The thick of it overrelied on what sounded like sixth formers trying to swear and be shocking. I quite liked the series but there was a monotony about it

Monty Python
Steptoe & Son
Red Dwarf

lots more but these stand out

Left Python out, on definition grounds, but one of the greats: North Minehead By Election, The Pirahna Brothers, Buying A Bed etc etc.

Re-enacting them in the playground the following morning; jumpers for goalposts, isn't it...

Back