Fergus Wilson Gives Up.....

Shadow Leader

At the Start
According to Fergus Wilson, he's getting out of owning racehorses altogether - but he's possibly going one step further than he has done before with his final runner, a hurdler and maiden on the flat, going in the Derby.....!!! Mind you since his wife will still be involved I don't think it's the last we'll hear of the mad old git by a long chalk!

From the RP :

Derby runner to be
Wilson's last

by David Carr

FERGUS WILSON, the Kent-based property multi-millionaire who has made his name in racing by running rank outsiders in top jump races, will fire a parting shot at the sport when Maidstone Mixture carries his colours in the Vodafone Derby a week on Saturday.

Maidstone Mixture is a 500-1 shot with Ladbrokes, having failed to win on the Flat and has been running over hurdles of late, winning at Strasbourg on Sunday, and Wilson said he intends to run him in the Derby before “coming out of the sport” as he prepares for his retirement.

“I doubt he will be last and he won't be disgraced,” Wilson said on Sunday.

“He has been running at two miles and it is quite likely he will belt out and set the pace - some will haul him back in but others won't.

“He hasn't set the world alight as a Flat horse but he has been doing quite well as a hurdler.

“We bought him in 2006 and entered him as a yearling and all along the plan has been to run him in the Derby and stand him as a stallion in England. I noted that the only other son of Linamix over here was Fair Mix and the breeding industry could do with an alternative.”

Maidstone Mixture is to leave Chantilly-based Richard Chotard to join Paul Murphy before the Derby and Wilson said: “Richard and I are going our separate ways because I am retiring.

“I made it clear I was coming out when I was 60 and I will be 60 in a matter of weeks. You can't suddenly pull out in one day as you have got responsibilities to the horses and to trainers.

“My wife will probably continue for a couple of years. I own a half-share in Milan Deux Milles and I will probably give her that as a present but I am coming out of the sport - I am sure plenty of people in the media will be delighted.”

The sooner he goes the better -running no-hopers in big races at the festival would end up causing someone a serious injury if it continued.

Originally posted by Shadow Leader@May 25 2008, 04:41 PM
You can't suddenly pull out in one day as you have got responsibilities to the horses and to trainers.

Made me laugh!!

Back