Fighting Fifth

Guest_

At the Start
The going is currently Good, Good To Soft in places.

Al Eile (IRE) John Queally, Ireland Tony Dobbin
Blythe Knight (IRE) J. J. Quinn Dougie Costello
Clopf (IRE) E. J. O'Grady, Ireland A. J. McNamara
Harchibald (FR) N. Meade, Ireland P. Carberry
Katchit (IRE) A. King Robert Thornton
Mephisto (IRE) J. Howard Johnson Wilson Renwick
The French Furze (IRE) N. G. Richards Brian Harding
Torkinking (IRE) M. A. Barnes Michael McAlister

I know he doesn´t really have a chance, but heres me shouting for The French Furze! backed him several times in that in a forecast and he will surely give the usual game effort, but this looks tougher than most renewals.

has anybody read Nicky Richards stable tour, esp. reg. him? Nicky made him his "class act", and said in the recent stables open day he (The French Furze for sure) has been lead out with the four-year-olds, as he thinks thats just his age! Def. Spotthedefference - class for emotions and just hope he ( and all ) come home safe.

On the more realistic front I fancy Al Eile as usual, so that will prop. this years forecast.

Know Isinglass loves Katchit, and he is a proper little star, but ....

From ATR:- Meade on Harchi "We are delighted with him, he's in terrific form, he really is. He had a run at Dundalk the other day when he ran very well and he has done a bit of work since that - we were very pleased with."

He added: "Harchi' is in great shape and we could just maybe do with a little bit of rain.

"Jazz (Messenger) has just got a cut below his hock and while it is not that serious, it has just taken him a while to get over it and we don't want to take any chances with him."

Katchit & Blythe Knight are out to prove their Champion Hurdle credentials. Clopf is a very promising horse who travelled really well before blowing up in the straight last time out, I think he's worth another chance here. Harchibald made an encouraging reappearance and is the real class act of the race if on song. It's going to be a really interesting race to watch.

Katchit (11/8) , Harchibald (9/2) , Blythe Knight (11/2) , Al Eile (6) , Clopf (8) , The French Furze (40) , Mephisto (50) , Torkinking (100)

I think that Katchit may be nearly backable at that price. I don't think that there is a Champion hurdle in him, but I don't think there is a Champion hurdler in the field.

Go The French Furze!!
My heart is definatly ruling my head, but in all honesty, this race always brings out the very best in him and I can't see him being out the top 3.

Originally posted by LUKE@Nov 29 2007, 09:58 PM
I would love to see Harchibald run a big race-at his best he would demolish the opposition.
My sentiments also Luke :D

I believe this season will provide plenty of opportunities to take on Katchit. Saturday may well be the first of them.

Now I wait for the beast to prove me wrong.

I expect to see harchibald outbattle katchit :D

but a pity Jazz messenger isnt running. a slightly underrated beast ive often thought (unlike Clot... or whatever hes called)

from sportinglife.co.uk:

Robert Thornton believes Katchit will take all the beating in the WBX.COM "Fighting Fifth" Hurdle at Newcastle on Saturday.

The four-year-old has only lost once in nine starts over hurdles and his victories at the Cheltenham and Aintree Festivals emulated the feats of the ill-fated Detroit City.

However, despite already scoring at the highest level twice, connections of Katchit expect Saturday's race to tell them if they have a serious Champion Hurdle contender on their hands.

"I'm looking forward to it obviously. I schooled him on Thursday morning just to keep him sharp and I was very pleased with him," said Thornton.

"This is a big step up for him, the first time he is taking on older horses, and I just hope he can bridge the gap.

"It is always in the back of your mind that he wouldn't train on but at the end of last year I just thought that I would sit back and enjoy it, he doesn't owe me an awful lot.

"Arguably, he has improved over the summer. If he can beat Degas Art giving him 15lb, as he beat us last year giving him 8lb, on the bare form he has improved.

"He'll come on for that run at Aintree. It is a step up but he deserves to take his chance.

"It looks winnable. Looking at the prices, Harchibald looks the main danger but if he loomed upsides me going to the last and I was off the bridle that wouldn't worry me, we know my lad will scrap.

"He's all heart and you can't put that into a horse.

"Whatever he does I think he will take all the beating but it is a step up," he told At The Races.

I think Katchit will go a way to silence the doubters by overcoming the 4yo hoodoo tomorrow to prove how good he is.

If he can't overcome the hoodoo I would think Blythe Knight would capitalise on that.

It has to be Harchibald at the prices for me. He has it to prove after his problems last season but he is still only an 8-y-o and that pipe-opener on the flat was a decent effort.

I would rather back a proven top class performer at 11/2 than a 4-y-o taking on the big boys for the first time at 5/4.

We know from his flat form that Blythe Knight has a cracking engine but I am worried about his stamina on a stiff track - especially if the ground gets softer. Apart from anything else, his Aintree win hasn't worked out very well.

Speaking of ropey Aintree form, Al Eile gets the Spanish archer on that count too.

Clopf is interesting as he travelled well for a long way last time and seems sure to improve - although he needs to.

I agree with Arazi and think Clopf is being underated by the market here.

Katchit is the one to beat though.

Jeez.....that's Katchit put in his place awful early......too much, too young.

And good old Archy is back...absolutely thrilling. Got such enjoyment watching him and Denman today.

Back