Fighting Fifth

sunybay

At the Start
Nicky Henderson, trainer: "He has been in good form and is ready to run. It's a competitive race and some of them have the advantage of having had a run. It could become a little tactical but AP [McCoy] will know what he is doing. You have to start somewhere. There is a lot of improvement to come. He looks well. He is very burly and solid, he's hard, but there are a lot of battles to be played"

Solwhit is my nap of the day.

Though I'm not too sure the bare form is all that trustworthy! Didn't know whether to post here or the Arse Cup thread for McCoy and Davy Russell's rides.

Shameless, shameless aftertiming but when the race started, the in-running logic was a few quid on Go Native and Sublimity. They were always going to come to the fore in that kind of affair. That said, you would have expected a bit more from Binocular...

The only thing close to that is an elephant standing on bubblewrap...

Got to be good news for fans of Celestial Halo.

Solwhit may not have had race run to suit but should surely have been more in the contest if hes genuine contender for CH. God knows what happend with Binocular

Celestial Halos race..

Shameless, shameless aftertiming but when the race started, the in-running logic was a few quid on Go Native and Sublimity. They were always going to come to the fore in that kind of affair. That said, you would have expected a bit more from Binocular...

I couldn't refuse the 25s on Sublimity-11/2 a place eased the pain.

When they went no pace Binocular should have been a certainty. It looks like Go Native did blow up LTO as he travelled well that day. Id have to agree on the same basis that this makes Hurricane Flys position stroger in the market but an unsatisfactory race for me. My theory of the Champion Hurdle form being bullet proof come March is already dead in the water.

Wouldn't give up on either Solwhit or Binocular after today. Solwhit ran a cracking race given that the dawdle was never likely to suit.

McCoy looked to be niggling at Binocular before turning in but despite not showing his customary turn of foot he was only a length behind Solwhit at the line.

Hard to draw any conclusions given that you couldn't draw up conditions further from those they'll face at Cheltenham than today's.

I dont think McCoy did anything wrong, the pace was likely to suit , especially if the hrose was not fully fit and the placing in the race was good , ahead of Solwhit which looked the main danger previous to the race.

Russell was the one who should have ridden a different race with a horse fully fit and able to stay 2 1/2 miles on soft ground.

About the Champion Hdl
the one to be one for the moment in my book is Zaynar.

I fancied (but didn't bet) Solwhit on the basis that no matter how the race was run he'd have too much toe for Binocular. That part was right. An unsatisfactory race all in all, though, and not likely to have too much bearing on the Champion Hurdle.

I backed Go Native in last years Supreme so out of loyality i'd 15 euro e/w on him at 20/1. He returned 25/1. Noel Meade holds this horse in the highest regard and anyone shrewd enough to notice his comments on the horse this week would have backed him!

Back