Films

I'm going to buy it tomorrow and watch it when back home in Ireland (TV on the blink here).

Have you delved back through the rest of Audiard's other stuff BM?

I was going to invest in a box set of his, Haneke or Rohmer next time I get to France.

Only a beat that my heart skipped and read my lips. Two more impressive anchors in Duris and Cassel respectively.

Duris has a new movie out soon called Irresistable I think - seems an atypical film for him just based on the poster i saw!

I can't imagine there is a better actor at the moment.

Watched this again on DVD last night, absolutely majestic. I've not seen a better film in years.

Just to temper that Hamm, I thought it was a well above average gangster movie but a bit unbelievable in patches. The characters didnt grab me to any great extent (unlike Goodfellas say) and unlike truely great films, it was a film that didnt stay in the mind for long

Fair enough, it would be boring if everyone thought the same about films. Watch for the moment at the airport when he sticks out his tongue though. If that doesn't grab you then I don't know what will.

A Very Long Engagement. Unbelievably excellent. I can't believe it's taken me so long to watch some of these brilliant movies - I should have picked this one up after seeing Amelie. My only criticism is Marion Cotillard isn't in it enough.

White Material is worth a look. Has its moments but i did find it slightly unconvincing. Not as resonant as directors previous superb 32 Shots

Saw Somerstown by shane Meadows over the weekend. lovely film. he really is our very best director

Last edited:
He might be our best director but I never warmed to Somerstown; and it wasn't the Eurostar sponsorship. I just felt the pacing was wrong.

I need to watch Dead Man's Shoes again. Haven't seen it for ages.

Yes, it is. Jane Horrocks is so talented.

Watched an all time favourite of mine last night, just for the feel-good effect. Kinky Boots - great fun.

I went to see Gainsbourg last week - I was hoping for a serious biopic but read afterwards it was an adaptation of the Director's comic book, so it was a bit more tilted towards that kind of thing at times. Still interesting, and I loved the music. Maybe better on a second watch.

Betsmate - are you still around?

It's been fairly panned, it seems, for much inadvertent humour, such as a wizened old crone wisely intoning, "I knew you were a bender" to the young genius. Sure to play to raucously appreciative crowds here in Brighton...

I saw Inception a few weeks back. My sons who are film buffs were really keen that I should see it though I was convinced my wife wouldn't like it. I was also concerned that I might not keep up with the plot. Wrong on both counts as she and I got totally immersed in the film. I enjoy seeing something original, ie not the usual Hollywood crap and Inception didn't let us down in anyway.

I also watched Girl with a Dragon Tattoo on DVD last evening. This was the original Swedish version, there is a Hollywood remake in progress, and despite taking the dubbed option, thought it very clever, thought provoking and original. Well worth watching.

I spoke to a colleague the other day who'd just seen Inception. I asked her what it was like and she admitted to falling asleep during it. I suggested that given the subject matter, that might have been somewhat dangerous.....

Back