Finding the winner of our bumper

Grey

Senior Jockey
As all of you know by now, our bumper takes place at Navan on Saturday. It is of course only normal that we get to back the winner of our race, so the following letter and questionnaire will be going out to the trainer of each horse entered.

Dear Trainer,

As you are aware, the much anticipated winningways.ie and Talkinghorses (Pro/Am) INH Flat Race takes place at Navan on Saturday. Some of those involved in sponsoring this major event are travelling considerable distances in order to be present on the day, so any help you could offer with finding a few winners would be greatly appreciated.

We are of course particularly interested in identifying the winner of our own race and to this end enclose a questionnaire that you would perhaps be good enough to fill in and return to us.

Without in any way wishing to influence the outcome of the race, I should mention that several members of Talking Horses have expressed their strong desire to meet Ms Nina Carberry on the winners' podium, and indeed have made their contribution to the prize fund conditional on this occurrence. However, the opportunity to participate in a good old-fashioned coup might sway them to favour your horse instead.

I therefore hope you can give this matter you most careful consideration and fill in the attached questionnaire as carefully as possible.

Best wishes,

Mr Henry Root
The questionnaire:

winninwaysracing.ie & Talkinghorses (Pro/Am) INH Flat Race

1. Is your horse going to win this race?

2, If yes, by what distance?

3. For the assistance of those of us who like to bet in running, will your horse hit the front on the line/at the furlong pole/lead all the way?

4. Will you be backing this horse yourself?

5. If yes, how much will you be having on? EUR10/EUR100/EUR10,000/EUR100,000/EUR1,000,000?

6. In order to allow the rest of us get some money on, when do you intend to have your bet?

7. Is your jockey appraised of your intentions? In the name of openness and transparency, please ask him/her to sign this questionnaire.

9. To assist those of us who go in for spread betting, if your answer to question 1 is 'no', please state in which place your horse will finish instead:
2nd/3rd/4th/5th/6th/7th.....24th.

10. Please not that in the unlikely event that more than one horse is expected to finish in a particular placing we shall be in touch in order to resolve this difference of opinion.

Last edited:
I would be very surprised if any trainer filled that in.

I certainly wouldn't want to fill one in as abrupt as that if I were a trainer.

I have received the following communication from an capall.

I took the liberty of sending the questionnaire to Tony Martin and his responses are as below.

It will probably win. If it doesn't it will be tailed off.

Win a shd or tailed off a furlong.

3. For the assistance of those of us who like to bet in running, will your horse hit the front on the line/at the furlong pole/lead all the way?

Not sure. I'd wait until 2 out if I were you though.

Yes. But I may lay it off.

5. If yes, how much will you be having on? EUR10/EUR100/EUR10,000/EUR100,000/EUR1,000,000?

Don't be silly. It'll be a bar at least.

6. In order to allow the rest of us get some money on, when do you intend to have your bet?

Back 3.05pm, lay off 3.47pm.

7. Is your jockey appraised of your intentions? In the name of openness and transparency, please ask him/her to sign this questionnaire.

No and No. Actually, never and never.

9. To assist those of us who go in for spread betting, if your answer to question 1 is 'no', please state in which place your horse will finish instead:
2nd/3rd/4th/5th/6th/7th.....24th

See 1 and 2.

Further replies are eagerly awaited.

Colm won't have a runner in the bumper but might have one or two on the rest of the card. If people are interested, I'll see if I can sort out a visit to our suite/box during racing, depending on logistics of runners etc.

I think An Capall will be deeply insulted that it is felt that a questionnaire is required to find the winner. Gearoid you should probably look for other means of transport to the racecourse for the day...

I think An Capall will be deeply insulted that it is felt that a questionnaire is required to find the winner. Gearoid you should probably look for other means of transport to the racecourse for the day...

And how do you suppose an capall gets his winners if not through using questionnaires?

Anyway, I've just had a reply from Oliver Brady.

1. My horse will win and all the fine people out there should back it.

2. How far? He'll not just win it, he'll walk it.

3. He'll never be sighted, he'll be that far in front. Des Scahill
won't know which way he's gone, but that won't be anything out of the ordinary where that good man is concerned.

4. Of course I'm backing him. Me and the whole of Monaghan.

5. Ms Shah might be reading this so I'd rather not say how much.

6. When? I've already had my money on, I mean Ms Shah's money. Otherwise you'd have heard nothing from me.

7. Don't worry, my jockeys always know what's expected. And they know we have long memories in this part of the world. Up Monaghan. And please say hello to that Mr Chapman. He's a bit soft in the head but nice enough with it.

Last edited:
Brilliant :lol::lol::lol:

That's the best laugh I've had for a week
Any more rpelies yet lads?

Indeed, Stamp

I've had a reply from Willy Mullins.

1. Will my horse win? Which one? There are 38 horses entered in the race and I've got 43 of them. Given its outstanding prestige this is a race I'm set on winning.

2. How far? See 1 above. Given the likely high winds my runners will set off as a peloton. One of them will go clear at the furlong pole while the rest fan out across the course and keep the rest at bay.

3. See 2 above.

4. Back one of mine? I wouldn't know how.

Nicholls is shipping one over:

Yes, but I never said I was targeting the Irish Trainer's Championship

I don't mind, its the prize money I'm interested in.

I think Kauto Star deserves more respect.

I'll be covering on all the Mullins and Meade runners.

The championship goes on prizemoney not bet returns right?

I just need a few big Saturday winners back home...

Ruby is fully appraised of the horse's chances in every detail. Unfortunately he is riding one of Willie's.

How far down do they pay?

10. Please not that in the unlikely event that more than one horse is expected to finish in a particular placing we shall be in touch in order to resolve this difference of opinion.

Some great replies but I love this one:

Ruby is fully appraised of the horse's chances in every detail. Unfortunately he is riding one of Willie's.

:lol:

Martin Pipe has resumed training and has entered 47

They're just entries, very nice horses.

Very nice horses, Richard Dunwoody, very good jockey, very pleased.

Depends if Jenny Pitman is running one

Very nice horse, Peter Scudamore, very good jockey, very pleased

I'll have to check the sporting life, nice horses, very pleased, should run well.

Tony McCoy, very good jockey, very nice horse, very pleased, should run well.

Roger who ?

Very good horse, Very pleased, David Bridgwater, very good jockey... oh er erm, wheres question 8 ? I would have given a straight answer to that one.

Martin Pipe has resumed training and has entered 47

They're just entries, very nice horses.

Very nice horses, Richard Dunwoody, very good jockey, very pleased.

Depends if Jenny Pitman is running one

Very nice horse, Peter Scudamore, very good jockey, very pleased

I'll have to check the sporting life, nice horses, very pleased, should run well.

Tony McCoy, very good jockey, very nice horse, very pleased, should run well.

Roger who ?

Very good horse, Very pleased, David Bridgwater, very good jockey... oh er erm, wheres question 8 ? I would have given a straight answer to that one.

Classic! I can actually hear him say that!

In a shocking twist, I've received this from Jim Bolger:

winninwaysracing.ie & Talkinghorses (Pro/Am) INH Flat Race

Not relevant, as the horse will absolutely not be running in the race.

Again, that is irrelevant - the horse was entered by mistake.

Were he to run (which he won't) I would leave it up to the jockey.

Gambling is behind only failure to attend mass on my list of the world's greatest evils.

:mad:

Again irrelevant, though I have heard some of my staff are planning to back the horse (though he won't run). Rest assured, the offending members of my staff will be dealt with in due course.

N/A. The jockey will possibly be booked tommorrow, but that will be a mistake as well.

I've had Kevin Manning sign his name (in blood) on the bottom of the form anyway.

No.

Back