Findlay/Bloom Partnership winding up

rorydelargy

At the Start
Reported in the press today that the partnership between Harry Findlay and Tony Bloom, which has produced thirty-five wins (plus several more in different partnerships) is being wound up less than a year after being set up. The reasons cited are the differing visions of the two about what kind of horses they want, but plenty of speculation about a cooling of their longstanding relationship. They first got involved in racing together when Bloom, under instruction from Findlay, bought Garruth from the Tim Easterby yard after that horse won the Sefton Novices Hurdle at Aintree in 2001.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/sep/09/racing-johnny-murtagh-aidan-obrien

I didn't realise Bloom was the purchaser of Garruth as he ran in Barber's colours for Nicholls. Amazing that purchase didn't sour him for good!

Like most things, I'd say it comes down to money. Owning a big string of horses is not cheap and they are probably a long way from covering their costs, even with a group performer. While Findlay will gamble to make up the difference, Bloom is probably not as keen on that given his other interests.

While Findlay will gamble to make up the difference, Bloom is probably not as keen on that given his other interests.

I can assure you, Cantoris, that when Cleisthenes was punted from 7/4 to 1/2 at Brighton in May, it wasn't because of Harry's money!

I didn't realise Bloom was the purchaser of Garruth as he ran in Barber's colours for Nicholls. Amazing that purchase didn't sour him for good!
Harry Findlay was quoted at the time as saying that even if the horse never won, it was worth the purchase price to get the inside track at the Nicholls yard. I'm guessing that the original sale was to Paul Barber (if memory serves, the previous owner was Martin Burke who sold a lot of his racing stock around that time) and that Findlay (Bloom) bought him out privately. The horse certainly raced in the Bloom colours in 2002.

What is the rumour mill saying about it?
That Findlay and Bloom have had a catatonic falling out. I'm told there were flashpoints at both Royal Ascot and Goodwood. The news that Harry F has allegedly been arrested at Doncaster this afternoon might bring all those stories into sharp focus sooner rather than later.

Catatonic falling-out? Well, that's certainly not going to lead to any serious fisticuffs, then - I think you meant 'catastrophic', Rory!

Not necessarily, Krizon. Catatonic is perfectly acceptable in this context, so long as they were acting particularly mental (which would be no surprise in Harry's case).

Interesting to note that the horse who may have been at the centre of this falling out re-appears in the USA tomorrow night - his first run since said alleged incident.

Back