First Season Sires 2013

Colin Phillips

At the Start
After seeing the snow in Huddersfield on the news this morning I'm very surprised to read that Doncaster, after two inspections already and another to come, are optimistic about their chances of racing this afternoon. So here goes.

Brocklesby Stakes Doncaster 1.25

There are two first-season sires represented:

ART CONNOISSEUR has Mr. Childrey and INTENSE FOCUS Red Biba.

If your memory is anything like mine you might need reminding of the racing careers of these sires.

ART CONNOISSEUR described by the Racing Post as: a high-class 2yo over 5-6f, also winner of Golden Jubilee S. at 3.

His race-winning record:

DATE RACE CONDITIONS WGT RACE OUTCOME JOCKEY OR TS RPR
20Jun09 Asc 6 GF C1G1 278K 8-11 1 /14 nk, Cannonball [20/1] 9-4 Tom Queally 116 92 120
17Jun08 Asc 6 GF C12yG2 56K 9-1 1 /18 2¼L, Intense Focus [8/1] 9-1 Jamie Spencer — 110 115
16Apr08 Nmk 5 Gd C32y 6K 8-12 1 /12 2¼L, Servoca [11/10F] 8-6 Jamie Spencer — 94 99
03Apr08 Lei 5 Sft C62yMd 1K 9-3 1 /6 3¼L, Joe Caster [100/30] 9-3 Jamie Spencer — 73 83

INTENSE FOCUS: tough, Gr1-winning 2yo from high-class family, by Giant's Causeway.

DATE RACE CONDITIONS WGT RACE OUTCOME JOCKEY OR TS RPR
18Oct08 Nmk 7 Gd C12yG1 163K 9-1 1 /13 nse, Lord Shanakill [20/1] 9-1tv1 Kevin Manning — 118 118
25May08 Cur 6 Fm 2y 9K 9-3 1 /11 nk, Super Pistachio [5/2F] 9-3 Kevin Manning — 88 89

On the dam side Tomanivi (Mr. Childrey) has only produced on erather moderate winner.

Vital Laser the dam of Red Biba has produced two useful animals, one winning over 6f. and the other 5f.

Cheers Colin, I was just having a look at the breeding for these animals - not many look all that inviting. Sleepy Joe was looking the most well bred but now a non runner.

Currently sat in Leeds where it has been snowing all morning but the flakes are very small - not settling at all.

Donny shouldn't have too much of a problem unless it starts getting heavy, glad I declined the offer of a ticket today and tomorrow, it'd be freezing!!

Intense focus had a big first crop (157 mares covered) and his progeny look like two year old bit not the types to train on imo.

Curragh 2.00

BUSHRANGER (champion 2yo, won Prix Morny & Middle Park S., by Danetime) is represented by Captain Moonlite.

DANDY MAN (useful 2yo, later high-class sprinter at 3-6) - Topman Dandy

Lingfield 2.10

WINKER WATSON (high-class, precocious, 6f 2yo, later useful over 7f-1m) - Hedy

INTENSE FOCUS (tough, Gr1-winning 2yo from high-class family, by Giant's Causeway) - Intense Feeling

CAPTAIN GERRARD (high-class, tough sprint 2yo, later Gr3-winning sprinter) - Mrilyn Marquessa

BUSHRANGER - Outback Lover

Stan James Prices on First Season Sire Markets

Number of Wins Sire By Prize money
13/8 Bushranger 7/1
2/1 Mastercraftsman 2/1
11/4 Intense Focus 8/1
7/2 Sea The Stars 4/9
16 MyBoyCharlie 33

These prices don't look right to me. I'd suggest recent results point to a stronger correlation between prize-money/number of wins than those prices suggest.

New Approach last year was top on prize money but only 4th by number of wins last year, but in 2011 Dutch Art 1st (prize money), 2nd (number of wins), Dark Angel 2nd/3rd, Red Clubs 3rd/1st. in 2010 Ifraaj 1st/1st, Indesatchel 2nd/10th, Kodiac 3rd/2nd, HRE 4th/3rd and in 2009 Dubawi 1st/1st, Oratorio 2nd/11th, Shamardal 3rd/5th, Footstep 4th/6th, Pastoral Pursuits 5th/3rd.

The price for Sea The Stars to be top by win prize money seems far to short and has been priced up based on what New Approach did last year. The 7's Bushranger and 8's Intense Focus both look value plays to me. The prize money table can often be skewed by the sales races and these 2 should both be well represented in those contests.

Last edited:
STS doesn't really have a stallion profile that screams 2yo either. 4/9 looks way too short; I would prefer to lay that than try and find the winner.

Yes, think we'd all love to lay that price, but not really an option with only SJ betting on it, and no-one queuing up to take it.

Wolverhampton 5.50

CAPTAIN GERRARD is represented by Sunshine Superman who is trained by Bill Turner whose 2-y-os are worth looking at this time of the year.

Bushranger has Outback Lover running for him again but it is not my intention to flag up every runner this year, I'll be putting up on debut and probably leave it at that. We'll see how the season develops.

The threads are a bit mixed up but after consilting soneone who had seen numerous Bushrangers' at the sales he suggested he was the bet at 9/1.

Last edited:
Well, Slim, BUSHRANGER has three chances in the Kempton race today, seems they're coming to hand early.

Kempton 1.45

BUSHRANGER has three representatives; Jalmeiner, Kindanyce and Kitty Brown.
WINKER WATSON has the once-raced Hedy and CAPTAIN GERRARD the once-raced Marilyn Marquessa.

Musselburgh 1.50

CAPTAIN GERRARD has the debutante Lilo Lil

INTENSE FOCUS has the once-raced Intense Feeling.

Forecast up yesterday kaboom! whoosh!:o Master Carpenter providing MASTERCRAFTSMAN with his first winner and Beau Nash (slowly away) claiming second place for DANDY MAN.

Today at Wolverhampton 7.50 Limegrove a daughter of CAPTAIN GERRARD makes her debut and BUSHRANGER is represented by Majestic Alexander.

Majestic Alexander is out of Tshusick who has produced some useful sprinters, among them Majestic Missile and Santo Padre.

Leopardstown 2.05 (over 6f. already!)

INTENSE FOCUS has Focus On Venice running.

MYBOYCHARLIE (I'm not sure if he qualifies but it is his first season as a Northern Hemisphere sire) is represented by Glory Boy.

A winner for INTENSE FOCUS yesterday.

Today's

Newcastle 2.30 CAPTAIN GERRARD - Lexington Rose

Redcar 2.10 DANDY MAN - Danfazi
and CAPTAIN GERRARD - One Boy

Redcar 2.40 BUSHRANGER - Realisitcally

Windsor 2.20 ART CONNOISSEUR - Mr. Childrey

Back