Frankel WTR rating

SteveM

At the Start
Frankel has been given a World Thoroughbred Ranking of 136, the equivalent of Sea The Stars WTR rating.

If only Sir Henry had the balls to run him in the Epsom Derby.

Every man and his dog could see he had the stamina in his pedigree to stay 12f, it's almost as if he run him that way in the Guineas to force the pressure of running him in the Derby.

Frankel would have won the Derby by at least 10 lengths.

My biggest wish for 2012 - Frankel vs Black Caviar over 7f. Someone should stump up the cash, frame the race and make it happen. With a 5lb pull would the mare win? I would love to see it.

Which course would you choose for this match, Aragorn? Newmarket, Ascot, or Epsom? What I do wonder is if BC would handle undulations here in the UK - Australian tracks look pretty flat to me, although now someone will stomp me to dust and say I'm wrong! Or would you like FRANKEL to travel to Melbourne?

It'd be the race of a lifetime for most of us around now - imagine the take on the gate, wherever it was!

Australian tracks look pretty flat to me, although now someone will stomp me to dust and say I'm wrong!

Moonee Valley is the exception, they run out of a dip into the straight.

I wouldn't worry too much. They will be busting a gut to bump up Frankel's rating this coming season.

He's got a long way to go to be as good as Dancing Brave it seems.

Great as Frankel has been in his 3yo season he didn't do what Dancing Brave did at a range of distances between the Guineas and the Arc... few have. DB got his high rating of 141 primarily for his Arc win at 12 furlongs.

I'd expect Frankel's mark to progress this season as he gradually steps up.

My biggest wish for 2012 - Frankel vs Black Caviar over 7f. Someone should stump up the cash, frame the race and make it happen. With a 5lb pull would the mare win? I would love to see it.

That would be a match. Even though I'd side with Frankel there is zilch chance he'd be stepping back in trip this season. Look forward rather to him taking on the best at around 10 furlongs.

DB got his high rating of 141 primarily because the ratings were inflated back then.

Or: Frankel got his low rating of 136 primarily because the ratings are depressed now.

Pick your favourite :)

DB got his high rating of 141 primarily because the ratings were inflated back then.

Or: Frankel got his low rating of 136 primarily because the ratings are depressed now.

There has been a little slippage, but it's not really correct to call either rating inflated or depressed (I know this is what one handicapper at least claims, but recent ratings for some horses have been very inflated despite slippage... Harbinger on a WTR of 135 for example only 1lb short of STS and Frankel). However, I accept that true comparables probably ought to be a little closer re Frankel vs DB. But DB certainly deserved his rating for a phenomenal classic season. Just as the likes of Mill Reef, etc deserved theirs before him.

Last edited:

Timeform had DB on 140 and have kept a broadly similar scale since. They have Frankel on 143. The IC have been a joke since they rated Old Vic higher than Nashwan.

Last edited:
Timeform had DB on 140 and have kept a broadly similar scale since. They have Frankel on 143.

This would put Frankel 2lb ahead of Mill Reef with only Sea-Bird, Brigadier Gerard and Tudor Minstrel ahead of him. While Frankel may justify this sort of rating in time I'd doubt this should be due to him quite yet.

136 may be a little low, but 143 is too high. I couldn't rate him above Mill Reef on what he has done so far.

Last edited:
If Frankel had to race against the Hawk Wing who won the Lockinge who would win?.

This is the question that intrigues me. People tend to forget how good HW was in this. Despite being more inconsistent overall he may have been as good as we have seen from Frankel on his Lockinge performance. It's certainly one of the few performances from any horse at a mile that would compare.

Last edited:
There has been a little slippage, but it's not really correct to call either rating inflated or depressed

It depends on your perspective. Either way, they're not comparable, as the official handicappers admit themselves.

(I know this is what one handicapper at least claims, but recent ratings for some horses have been very inflated despite slippage... Harbinger on a WTR of 135 for example only 1lb short of STS and Frankel).

A single example of a horse you think was over-rated says nothing for the overall level of the handicap. Again, the official handicappers have admitted that the overall level of these ratings has changed. Straight comparisons are worthless.

However, I accept that true comparables probably ought to be a little closer re Frankel vs DB. But DB certainly deserved his rating for a phenomenal classic season. Just as the likes of Mill Reef, etc deserved theirs before him.

The only requirement for a horse to "deserve" his/her rating is if a single performance, analysed with as much skill and rigour as possible, leaves no other fair and realistic result. A horse who achieves great things doesn't necessarily deserve a high rating, and a horse with a high rating hasn't necessarily achieved great things. The greatest ones manage both, of course.

...and Dancing Brave was one of the greatest.

Although, as I say there has overall been slippage, comparison of respective ratings is not worthless. It is certainly sensible to say that the likes of Mill Reef and Dancing Brave have shown a superior level of form at this stage.

Harbinger is sadly not an isolated case. The fashion these days seems to be to add pounds for what they might have run to rather than what they did run to, which should not have a place in historic ratings (more appropriate as a working hypothesis during the season).

I reckon Frankel's 136 may well underestimate him by the end of this upcoming season though.

Great as Frankel has been in his 3yo season he didn't do what Dancing Brave did at a range of distances between the Guineas and the Arc... few have. DB got his high rating of 141 primarily for his Arc win at 12 furlongs.

I'd expect Frankel's mark to progress this season as he gradually steps up.

STS did though and he has the same rating as Frankel - discuss.

Personally, I would be amazed if the horses from the 60's, 70's, 80's got within five lengths of these two. In the same way that professional football, Athletics, Rugby etc have benefitted from modern training techniques and advances in and medicine, Horse racing has done the same. Compare the 100m record to what it was in 1975, there is no comparison. Trying to compare previous generations is just pointless.

...and Dancing Brave was one of the greatest.

He's got a black mark in the achievement column, but I don't think that's really in any question.

Although, as I say there has overall been slippage, comparison of respective ratings is not worthless. It is certainly sensible to say that the likes of Mill Reef and Dancing Brave have shown a superior level of form at this stage.

You might see it as sensible to say, but you'll find no evidence in the International Classifications to support it (certainly not for Mill Reef!).

Harbinger is sadly not an isolated case. The fashion these days seems to be to add pounds for what they might have run to rather than what they did run to, which should not have a place in historic ratings (more appropriate as a working hypothesis during the season).

If that was the case, then surely the ratings would be higher now than they were in the '80s? They're not, because the "fashion" these days is actually to compress the ratings, and require a horse to do more to hit those 140+ ratings.

Back