Frankel!

Champion Trainer is what??... Money ..wins??
Henry cecil is the best trainer ever in my opinon and this freak horse is in the best hands ever!!
He will be looked after and then look out next year!:adore:

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say AO'B doesn't look after his horses but am glad FRANKEL is with Henry Cecil as he will be well campaigned and Henry's also done it all before, so while there is pressure, he knows all the pitfalls there are and how to avoid them!

Kri - the 'field' Gal was referring to was in relation to ARAZI's blistering speed in his Breeder's Cup Juvenile win - not FRANKEL's performance yesterday. However, FRANKEL's performance was an outstanding one, simply because of the way the colt was agreeable to being dropped out off a slow pace, accelerated like a class horse has to be able to do and then happily went away from the rest of the field. So not only does he have obvious ability, he looks to have the correct temperament as well to be an absolute monster. I only hope the gorund conditions are suitable for him to attempt his 2yo G1 but, as said above, at least we know that in HC's care, all those factors will be properly considered.

Well, bearing in mind what has happened previously re the December foaling being covered up by Philip Mitchell, you might be forgiven for asking that one!!

Fantastic to see him in the flesh yesterday and he was pretty much eased down close home. The side on pics that showed his acceleration were pretty amazing.

I disagree Ardross bar mayeb the last few yards.Watching it again and I still find it surprising that Queally continued to ride the horse out hands and heels despite being way clear of the opposition. That is two races when the horse is in a different league to the opposition and he has been ridden out and basically been given a harder race on each occasion that need be.

I was actually pleased to see Queally do that. Its all very well the horse cruising past horses but he needs to learn about racing as well so that when he does come up against something that could give him a race he is mentally and physically up to it.

When you looked at him in the winners enclosure after the race, he was barely breathing let alone blowing so I don't think it took much out of him.

I was actually pleased to see Queally do that. Its all very well the horse cruising past horses but he needs to learn about racing as well so that when he does come up against something that could give him a race he is mentally and physically up to it.

When you looked at him in the winners enclosure after the race, he was barely breathing let alone blowing so I don't think it took much out of him.

If I was the owner/trainer I would want to be giving the horse at this stage of his career as easy as possible a race. The horse clearly knows his job well which is not surprising considering the operation he comes from. Again it is no biggie but just a preference.

I dont see anything wrong on what Queally did, in fact, I think it was perfect, no use of the whip but now they have an idea on what the horse can do.

I think he should go to RP Trophy is the going is good or gs , if not, waith until next year.

I don't consider it was hard on the horse at all. Had he been allowed to coast in in his own time, the horse could well end up thinking all he has to do is pass horses and ease up. He needs to learn he has to keep going when asked otherwise when a horse comes at him, he may not realise that he needs to.

I suppose you could liken it to a talented child who is top of the form and consistently getting the answers right. Is it best to let that child stay at that level or should you push them a bit harder to ensure their development?

At home he will be working with 2 - 3 others and will most likely work a furlong or two short of his racing distance. He will sit in behind, learn to settle then quicken up as the tempo increases. Usually he will quicken up to and past the others with 1-2 furlongs to go. A really good horse doesn't tend to work all out although Henry does do sharper pieces of work than alot of trainers (in the old days trainers used to have to use 2 horses to work with their top-class horses and have the second one jump in when the first one was spent). Some trainers such as Stoute & Hannon gallop thier 2yos in big bunches early on so they get used to the hurly burly of a race but I have never seen Henry do it. So he still needs to learn and by doing it on the racecourse like that, Queally is saying "right lad, this is what I want you to do at this stage in the race, understand?"

Couldn't fault Queally's ride on the colt either - quiet, professional and just what I'd want for the colt were I fortunate to own him. Jinnyj's right - the colt will have learned a huge amount from that experience.

Not entirely sure whether I would be hell bent on him now running in the Dewhurst or RP Trophy either. If he trains on as you would hope/expect him to, then he'll get his G1s next year and it honestly won't have any effect on his stallion value, as he'll be a Juddmonte inmate and folk will be clamouring to use him.

I just think there was no need for him to win his two races by a total of 23 lengths! It is nit picking I know but he looks such a potentially brilliant colt that there is just no need to ask him for such an effort at this stage particularly as he is such a generous horse throughout his races. It may look like he didnt have a race but we all know that sort of effort and performance takes it out of horses regardless of how it looks visually.

I would personally prefer to see him go straight to the Guineas now.

Richard Hughes would have wom the race by a head.

Not quite asking for that level of restraint...but it is no surprise that the real great horses of recent years have often (there will be exceptions) not been the flashiest or the type to win by great distances.

What I like about Frankel is the very natural and willing way he goes about things. He may well have beaten nothing, but so what. He looks decent enough to me.

I cant see the horse was being asked to do anything that was in any way putting any pressure on him, that is exactly the way i would have wanted him ridden if he were mine, it will do the horse nothing but good.

He may well have beaten nothing, but so what. He looks decent enough to me.

Exactly. Certain horses have the aura no matter what the opposition. I had the same feeling watching Harbinger at Royal Ascot. It was obvious that was a tip top performance no matter the grade.

A colt I was especially taken with at two was Mill Reef. He would do it well within himself and when opened up just glide away from them. Frankel has something of this about him.

Timeform rate Frankel's win in the Royal Lodge Stakes as "one of the best performances from any juvenile in recent years".
They now have Henry Cecil's unbeaten colt on 129p, making him their highest-rated 2yo in Europe since Xaar in 1997 (132).
To further put this into recent historical context, New Approach was rated 127 after his juvenile campaign, while St Nicholas Abbey and Shamardal were awarded 126p.
Frankel still has some way to go to match the astonishing Timeform rating of 138 put up by Celtic Swing in winning the Racing Post Trophy by 12 lengths in 1994, but the world-renowned ratings organisation are in no doubt that they saw something "very special" on Saturday.
Their report on the race reads:
"Less numbers than in recent renewals of the Royal Lodge, but any lack of quantity was more than made up for by the quality of Frankel, his effort not only smashing the standards but exceeding any 2-y-o so far this season, in a complete league of his own as he stormed clear of useful rivals; the gallop was on the steady side until around halfway, and it was literally a one-horse show as soon as Queally decided to make his move from last place.
"Frankel is on his way to the top, quite rightly now a clear favourite for next year's Classics, as this was something very special, not only jumping to the head of the 2yo division in 2010 but, when allowing for the amount he had in hand, producing one of the best performances from any juvenile in recent years, verging on top-class after just 3 runs and having the potential to do more still, including this year, with the Dewhurst or Racing Post Trophy reportedly on the agenda.
"Connections apparently view Frankel more as one for the Guineas than Derby, holding stamina doubts, from the manner in which he races (has high cruising speed and sharp turn of foot) rather than his pedigree (Galileo close relation to Bullet Train from the family of Powerscourt), but after making an eye-catching move from last to first approaching the turn in here, he powered clear in the straight and certainly wasn't stopping at the line; a big, strong colt, there's no reason whatsoever to think Frankel won't train on and he is a truly exciting prospect, in expert hands to fulfil his potential, too."
Betfair spokesman Tony Calvin added: "Timeform are of no doubt that they saw something very special on Saturday, and quotes of as low as 2-1 for the 2,000 Guineas are understandable, if a touch of over-reaction.
""I can't recall a horse being shorter for the Newmarket Classic, at this stage of the season, in recent years - if at all."

Does a 10 length beating of a horse rated officially at 99 equals 129? Not sure, unless you think Klammer improved a lot. I also think the O'Brien horses were of much lower standard than in previous seasons.

Last edited:
Klammer should be a better horse than 99, I have him in 104 or 105,
Also the manner of the victory should allow the winner 3 or 4 more pounds, also the pace was slow at the beginning of the race and that makes more difficult to put distance between himself and the field.

I think he can hit 130 and could be even better.

Back