Frankel

Thousands talking about it on Twitter. We'll see in time, I suppose, but usually Twitter hears news first, like with Ruby this afternoon being 10 minutes before BBC reported it.

Turns out Paddy Power tweeted "Hmm. Rumour mill is whirling round again. Told there is a big racing story breaking imminently and it's nothing to do with the National." Everyone then started tweeting it must be Frankel and it all went from there.

Turns out Paddy Power tweeted "Hmm. Rumour mill is whirling round again. Told there is a big racing story breaking imminently and it's nothing to do with the National." Everyone then started tweeting it must be Frankel and it all went from there.

Which is exactly what I said on Twitter an hour ago :D

Not retired yet, but it doesn't sound good:

Grimthorpe:
"He hasn't been retired. We very much hope he has a future on the racetrack. It's too early to talk about retirement. We are positive and optimistic."

We very much hope he has a future on the racetrack, hasn't got me brimming with confidence.

Last edited:
Frankel went out today second lot.

He is having a precautionary scan which you have to do once the swelling has subsided to get the clearest picture. He over-reached his hind foot onto his front leg which caused the leg to fill/swell (most likely soft tissue swelling/bruising). In most cases you wouldn't bother to scan but wisely they do not wish to take any chances.

Frankel went out today second lot.

He is having a precautionary scan which you have to do once the swelling has subsided to get the clearest picture. He over-reached his hind foot onto his front leg which caused the leg to fill/swell (most likely soft tissue swelling/bruising). In most cases you wouldn't bother to scan but wisely they do not wish to take any chances.

Thanks Jinny for the informative update. When you say he went out second lot - was he just walking then? I read he was on the "easy list" for the forseeable..

I gather he was ridden whether that incorporated walking or cantering I am not sure but I can find out.

I gather he was ridden whether that incorporated walking or cantering I am not sure but I can find out.

Grimthorpe confirmed the scan -"towards the end of the week", as he had earlier told the Racing Post - remains crucial in determining whether Frankel can race as a four-year-old.

Given this it is most unlikely he would have been ridden today, or indeed before the scan. They no doubt would want to walk him if that were possible though.

I'm only quoting what my friend told me who works in the yard. He said the horse went out 2nd lot. As I said what that exercise amounted to, I have no idea.

I'd imagine they had him walking. I'd be amazed if they had a concern about him and rode him out. Clearly he's not lame and they need the swelling to go down before getting a clean scan. If it was bad, he'd be on box rest. But it doesn't sound brilliant either.

This is how I'm thinking too. A bit more on it:

[FONT=&quot]“His bone is clear,” Grimthorpe said April 16. “If that was the issue, we would be more relaxed about it as we would know it would heal over time. Soft-tissue injuries are different; they are often more problematical.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“We are still positive, Henry has a lot of experience and he suggests the horse might well be OK, although the situation is a little like being a bit pregnant. If anything shows up, a little hole (in his tendon) is as bad as a big one. There is nothing for it but to wait and see what the scan shows.”[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Racing Post ‏ @Racing_Post Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

Frankel reported to have been given the all-clear to resume training following a scan on his injured leg. More soon at

Back