Friday

I don't think this was out of context - the winner was behind Fareer so mentioning the other race is in context. Your opinion is that the winner today did not run up to its best at Ascot, fair enough. Perhaps the manner in which you jumped in and said that just after the breeder of Fareer shared a small moment of thinking the frame of her horse had been franked could be construed to have been saying Fareer would not have won had the other horse been on form. Maybe timing was bad and looked like a dig.

Whatever - it's all about opinons, everyone has them, but let's not get so dogged about it that we cannot share in a fellow forum persons success eh?

I'm pleased for Fareer and for the winner today. No need to get insulting about it.

Today had Fuçk all to do with Fareer. My post was saying genuinely i do not believe it to be a boost as the winner clearly didn't run up to form at Ascot. That's not a slur on Fareer, that's a fact. It's like saying Doctor Fremantle paid a massive compliment to Bronze Cannon. He didn't, he just didn't run anything like his best at Ascot.

Have we now reached a stage where Fareer, or form behind him is not to be questioned?

The issue relates to SS's response to my questioning the form shown by BE in the Britannia. Funny how we can go on, strongly criticising each other over 812 pages, in the Coral Eclipse thread, but without one line of a post which is as ridiculous as that response.

Form is there to be questioned and discussed. If you can't accept that, breeder or not, you have no place on a racing forum.

Thought it was a very decent renewal of the fillies race Gal with Serious Attitude doing well to get up close home to beat Lesson In Humility with Look Busy giving the form a solid look in third.

As far as I am aware none of those fillies ran in the Britannia:p

Today had Fuçk all to do with Fareer. My post was saying genuinely i do not believe it to be a boost as the winner clearly didn't run up to form at Ascot. That's not a slur on Fareer, that's a fact. It's like saying Doctor Fremantle paid a massive compliment to Bronze Cannon. He didn't, he just didn't run anything like his best at Ascot.

Have we now reached a stage where Fareer, or form behind him is not to be questioned?

The issue relates to SS's response to my questioning the form shown by BE in the Britannia. Funny how we can go on, strongly criticising each other over 812 pages, in the Coral Eclipse thread, but without one line of a post which is as ridiculous as that response.

Form is there to be questioned and discussed. If you can't accept that, breeder or not, you have no place on a racing forum.

i have to agree with Hamm...the Dr Femantle example is fair comment tbh.

Missed Serious Attitude as well, altho like her. Pleased she is back, the stable have always loved her.

Over at Ascot I see that Hayley turner got 2nd on her comeback ride, on Prompter for Michael Bell.

And I thought Milan might have his first flat winner in Bernie The Bolt but he ended up third behind Alanbrooke who I think is out of the dam of Alborada. Alanbrooke looks decent. Sweetheart came 2nd, she is consistent, keeps popping up in the long distance races.

Hamm, sure you can say what you think, I am not denying you that. I don't know Brief Encounter well enough to know whether he ran up to his best at Ascot or not. However, I don't see why some of us cannot also think (at least on paper) that his winning paid a compliment to those who beat him at Ascot. Let's face it, plenty of thosepaid to write up races do just that daily - without relaly getting stuck into any one horse's form.

Not sure why all the heat over this one?

Last edited:
Fwiw, I've followed Brief Encounter quite closely this season, and is a horse I like. People are more than entitled to question the form of any race, whether it contains a horse bred by you or not.

The winner Silver Grecian - trained by John Ryan, is he related to the trainer Mick Ryan who used to have Diamond White and Lady Rockstar? Gorgeous looking horse. I was gutted when he won though, looked like young James Millman might win a Grp race for his dad on their smart 2 year old Roi De Vitesse. Who was a big price.....

Last edited:
He's his son.

Mick is still involved and was at the races last Friday when Silver Grecian won and they also had the listed winner at Sandown (name escapes me at the mo).

Silver Grecian has really impressed me and Michael Hills seems to like him a lot.

The fact that you have resorted to swearing pretty much sums this exchange up. Yes, I freely admit I am probably over-excited by FAREER's win at Ascot but today's form franked his win in a very decent way and I am as free to make the comment I did about that point as anyone else on this forum, hence why I queried your comment over BE not running his race. Of course you are entirely entitled to your opinion about form but, bearing in mind your past history with reference to posts I make, I am hardly going to take your comments as being totally without subtext. To say I have no place on a racing forum because I happen to disagree with your take on form is frankly ridiculous and says more about you than anything I could come up with.

Sorry, Aidan, to have to respond publicly again and sorry everyone else who may be reading through these tedious exchanges. If it's unacceptable to comment about form in connection with a homebred, then would the Mods please amend the Board rules accordingly.

That's a decent win on the board for HAAFD with SILVER GRECIAN - agree he's a very good looking colt and nice to see such a decent winner coming from this yard.

Songsheet

i am as pleased as punch for your success with Fareer..but I can see..indepedently ...what Hamm is on about re horses behind not actually franking the form when they have run too bad to be true.

i don't think Hamm were knocking Fareer..he was just arguing from a purely form reading point of view

Thank you EC1 - in the interests of forum harmony I will cease and desist from mentioning the colt again.....

Although I don't think coming ninth (7th in group stands side) exactly qualifies as being a run too bad to be true... but BE did meet a wall of horses, which was somewhat unlucky. My point was that several other horses in the race had troubled runs too - it's the nature of a race like the Britannia, isn't it??

That's a decent win on the board for HAAFD with SILVER GRECIAN - agree he's a very good looking colt and nice to see such a decent winner coming from this yard.

I missed that - doh! I should be pleased then, like the horse a lot and was shocked to see a grey by Haafd. The stud I work with has two in the paddock and so far the sales guys are not exactly thrilled with the idea of selling them for us. Odd, as Haafd has had his winners. It's just all about fashion isn't it? Maybe this will help him.

Last edited:
Thank you EC1 - in the interests of forum harmony I will cease and desist from mentioning the colt again.....

Although I don't think coming ninth (7th in group stands side) exactly qualifies as being a run too bad to be true... but BE did meet a wall of horses, which was somewhat unlucky. My point was that several other horses in the race had troubled runs too - it's the nature of a race like the Britannia, isn't it??

you mention him as much as you want Songsheet..you are proud :cool:

the britannia is traditionally a nightmare race in running for sure..one thing for sure..if all horses behind came out and lost you wouldn't be happy..so there is the other side to it as well..it doesn't do any harm horses coming out and winning.:D

So, no-one is allowed to express an opinion that doesn't question the running of some of those who ran behind Fareer in the Britannia?

If you don't care less, stop blathering on about fareer. Today has nothing to do with Fareer, yet you have to keep mentioning him.

The only fact is all ratings prove Brief Encounter did not run to form in the Britannia.

I don't think this post does you a lot of credit, Hamm.

And your subsequent ones much less so.

Last edited:
Those of you who like Brief Encounter might be flabbergasted by the price of Hartley in the first at Chester tomorrow...

Couldn't be as gormless as Seamie on Drumbeat this evening,was not enjoyable viewing at all.

Oops see you've started a separate thread on that.

Last edited:
I would love to own a horse like Plum Pudding, he won his eighth handicap yesterday. Six of them over the Rowley Mile course but the last two have been away from there, Warwick last time and yesterday.

Such a trier.

i was trying to control my rage last night over the drumbeat ride shocking and i am talking out of my pocket as that sank my lucky 15 which had cool strike 14/1, serious attitude 7/2 and street power at 7/1. what on earth was he doing looked like a carbon copy of the fag ride in the irish derby apart from the fact he completely ballsed it up!

Murtagh misses the first day of Goodwood and two of the three days of the King George meeting (but not the King George itself.)

I'm delighted for John Ryan with the win by SILVER GRECIAN - the wee yard is really on the up, along with OCEAN MINSTREL's brilliant win a couple of weeks back. A couple of really solid performers for this very cheerful, nice-to-know smaller trainer.

I was interested to note, though, that RUK's wrap showed the subliner "Another win for Shadwell stallion Haafhd" under a shot of Grecian's run past the post. I've probably got this wrong, but along with ads for Blue Square and other sponsoring organisations, there are references to wins by Darley and Highclere TBs. I imagine that RUK is on some sort of retainer to flag up their stallions' winning progeny by various studs, no? But it touts its service as 'free to air, without all those nasty adverts', so what are these, if not commercial promotions? I think we should be told...

Murtagh misses the first day of Goodwood and two of the three days of the King George meeting (but not the King George itself.)

How may more days does he need before he reaches a 'totting up' ban? At the stage in the season if he receives one he's bound to miss something significant.

Back