Friday

Gamla Stan

At the Start
Great card at Newmarket with some informative maidens, a group race and a couple of listed races. There's also apparently some reasonable slow animals running over some obstacles of sorts in a field in Gloucestershire for those of you into that sort of thing.

Think Rio De La Plata is a false favourite in the Group Three, he's not done a great deal this year to warrant being top of the market here and I've always been keen on Glass Harmonium who's time at Royal Ascot was exceptional. He looked like he needed the run last time out and should get a good tow into the race. 9/2 looks a very reasonable price. At a bigger price, Supaseus could run a big race, his form over C&D is very respectable and whilst he'll be no Pipedreamer or Tazeez, Cambridgeshire winners are usually a bit above handicapper level, at 14/1 (Took some 20s on Betfair and 7/2 to place) he represents a decent each-way bet.

In the fillies listed race, Plaisterer makes some appeal. She ran a blinder last time out at Ayr and she's always giving her best at the finish. I think Leocorno is hugely over rated and the Cecil filly was flattered at Haydock by racing down the middle. Chris Wall does well at his local track and 20/1 seems incredibly generous given she'll have no problems with the ground and trip and the competition contains no world beaters.

I'm off there right now. Is anyone else really pee'd off that these two meetings clash?

I'm quite keen on Rio De La plata. He travelled well first time out and found nil, as if someone had forgotten to get him fit. This seemed to be confirmed when he left that form behind next time. I think there may still be a bit more to come. Although expecting improvement from Godolphin horses is probably not a clever punting strategy, the form with Confront is probably good enough if I'm wrong.

I really like Rio de la Plata as well, and I'd echo what Melendez said. I do however think the second favourite is the only danger, and perhaps a forecast could be the best option.

I actually like Leocorno, and think her second in her last race is quite good form if you take the view Flame of Gibraltar ran her race. I think the drop in distance will suit her, and i don't think Stoute is anywhere near maximising her level of performance; she's only had 4 runs and looks to me to be capable of reaching 110+, so I make her a bet at 3s, especially as I've never quite taken to High Heeled.

The favourite in the first at Newmarket looks a horrendous price; for all the fact he must be burning up the gallops, Best is operating at around 6% strike rate with his juveniles, and this one can be laid at 7/4.

Sara/HS,
I don't see the issue with 2 good meetings in one day; in fact, I think it's a good thing. If there wasn't good racing tomorrow, I could maybe see your point, but at the end of the day, they are different codes, and should not pay attention to either's race planning.

It would be good to see Rio de la Plata back to something approaching his best. He was a really lovely 2yo.

Yes, agree, but I think he actually put in some very good performances at 3. His second in the French Guineas was from a very long way back, as was his third in the Prix Jean Prat, to Tamayuz and Raven's Pass was top class. I think he also ran well in the Derby but don't know for the life of me what he was doing running over that trip. Nice looking horse as well.

Fancy Palavicini to ourtun his price in the 3.10. No doubt he's got to improve a bit but I think this trip suits him better than further despite him having plenty of stamina on his dam side. Dunlop's still going well at the minute.

Nice horse, and I would agree he's overpriced, and he could well keep improving, if not this year, then next.

I am surprised they did not run Rio De La Plata in the Challenge Stakes tomorrow. Do not like him over this trip.

I think the trip will be ideal. The fact that he's handled by racing's answer to Homer Simpson is the only thing stopping me from having a really good go at him.

Last edited:
Snap Tie looks very short for me at 1.62 on his chasing debut. Rippling Ring and especially Pigeon Island should make a race of it.

I didnt back him and Im indifferent on this matter but I perfer to see these horses win and justify the connections faith. Obviously, bookies love these sort of races and like laying them and thats what they do. Even though a lot of bookies dont like to lay bets these days to anyone thats not half stupid.

Back