Galway-Goodwood Competition

Grey

Senior Jockey
There will be a competition next week based on the Galway and Goodwood meetings. It will run from Tuesday to Saturday.

Participants will start with a bank of £5,000 each. They will be free to concentrate most of their bets on their preferred meeting, but at least £1,000 of their bank has to be wagered on the other meeting.

There will be two prizes of £100 each. The 'yellow jersey' prize will be awarded, in the normal way, to the person achieving the highest profit on their bets during the week, while the 'green jersey' prize is for the person showing the most consistency from day to day.

Spread the word, and keep an eye out for other initiatives concerning forum competitions in the near future.

Yay! Thanks, Grey. Having come a limping, tailed-off stone last over on Atacanta in one of its comps, I'm hoping for a Curleyesque change of form.

I'm not any good at picking winners!
This is just a typical case of rampant pickism!

There'll be no report to OFF (Office of Fair Forums) if i can just keep my £5000 bank ... :whistle:

I live in Galway and you can feel the excitment building. The arts festival is on at present and the city is in full swing. We'll be at the races most days :)

The Goodwood-Galway Grey competition starts on Tuesday and runs up to and including Saturday.

The 'yellow jersey' prize of £100 goes to the person achieving the highest profit on their bets during the week.

If we have enough participants (25 or more), a 'green jersey' prize of £100 will also be on offer for the person doing best based on their position in the rankings each day. The idea here is to reward consistency of performance, given that one decent bet at big odds, maybe placed in desperation by some flukey chancer on the last day, might be enough to do a deserving front runner out of the yellow jersey prize. (Do I speak from bitter experience? :whistle: As it happens, yes! :ninja:)

The following rules apply:

- You can bet up to a maximum of £2,000 per day and £5,000 overall (Tuesday-Saturday);

Do you go for an early lead, pace yourself evenly or keep some ammunition back for later in the week? Or maybe you won't have time to get involved every day.

- You must bet at both Galway and Goodwood. A maximum of £4,000, and therefore a minimum of £1,000, is to be placed on either meeting.

- Win or each way bets only;

- Minimum bet £100 or £50 each way;

- Bets to be settled at SP unless an early price, prevailing at the time of the bet being submitted and available from at least two bookies (not betting exchanges) listed on oddschecker, is specified;

- The person with the most winnings (or least losses!) after Saturday's cards will be declared the winner of the yellow jersey prize;

- The person with the most points based on their position in the rankings each day will be declared the winner of the green jersey prize (10 pts for 1st, 9 pts for 2nd... 1 pt for 10th). Points will only be awarded to persons making a profit on the day.

- In the event of a tie for either prize it will be shared;

- Selections must be submitted for Goodwood and the Galway afternoon meetings by 1pm each day, and by 4pm each day for the Galway evening meetings.

Please read the rules carefully, in particular the requirement to bet a minimum amount on both meetings.

Last year I did the scores myself and made a lot of errors (one or two people aren't entirely sure they weren't deliberate ;)), so any offer of help in this regard will be gratefully accepted.

All are invited to get involved, the more the merrier.

Good luck with this and for putting up the cash,i'm going on holiday for 3 weeks but will look in to see how things are going.I will put some cash up when the aw season starts if there's enough interest to run an aw comp,although i gather the majority will be following the nh from what i've read browsing.

Very promising piece of work by me this morning - definitely hoping for a better showing, even though I've gone down the handicap dramatically since my best win in 2007.

I'll get the ball rolling then as I won't be able to put any up tomorrow before 1 o'clock.

Only one selection for me:

Goodwood 3.45 - Burwaaz
500 E/W @ 12/1 (Freely available at that price oddschecker right now - Totesport, Betfred, Paddy Power, Stan James & William Hill)

Best of luck everyone and thanks for running the comp Grey.

Grey: you say we must bet "at both Galway and Goodwood". Does that mean just throughout the comp, or do we have to have a bet at each course each day?

1,000 win Fiorente 2.35 Goodwood (@ 6/5 per odds noted later)
100 e/w Ask Jack 6.45 Galway (SP)
50 e/w Baskirov 6.10 Galway (SP)

Opening Bank: 5,000
Bet today:
Galway - 300 (300 for week)
Goodwood - 1,000 (1,000 for week)
Closing Bank: 3,700

Last edited:
I presume you have to put on 1,000 a day over the five days.

so here goes

650 win Fiorente 2.35 Goodwood
100 e/w Ask Jack 6.45 Galway
50 e/w Baskirov 6.10 Galway
25 e/w Kings Bastion Galway
(I'm talking a chance that Owen Weldon has been training the Comer horses recently and Tajweed and Yellow Rock have both won. But it is a pure chance)
1,000 total

Good luck everybody

Minimum bet is 100 win or 50 e/way

GALWAY 7.45: IRON MAJOR £250 e/w

GOODWOOD 5.25: BOOGIE WALTZER £250 e/w

There's the first grand down the Swanee! Good luck, everyone.

Goodwood 3.45 church music £200 win @20/1-bet365,boyles,bf,pp,wh

Goodwood 4.20 larwood £200 win.

good luck all.

I'm working tomorrow morning so here's my selections -

Goodwood

2.00 All Action £100 e.w.
2.35 Hunter's Light £75 e.w.
3.10 Balthazaar's Gift £75 e.w.
4.20 Warcrown £200 win
5.25 Sutton Veny £50 e.w.

Galway

5.05 London Bridge £100 win
5.35 Prince Erik £100 win

Thanks for this and good luck everyone

Goodwood 2.35
€250 @ 20/1 Yaseer
Goodwood 3.45
€250 @ 12/1 Burwaaz

I'll edit and add a Galway bet when two or more fiirms have priced up the maidens. Love the format, it's a thinking mans competition.

Last edited:
Kriz, Cantoris, you have £5,000 to use over the five days, and you can use up to £2,000 of it on any one day. In this way it's possible to limit your participation to just three of the five days and still have the same ammunition as anyone else.

At least £1,000 of your bank for the week has to be bet on the 'other' meeting, but there is no requirement to use some of it each day. You could have a mix each day between the two meetings if you want, but it's not a requirement.

P.S. Feel free to amend your entries in the light of the above.

And Cantoris, please note Chef's remark about your entry. Bets below the minimum will be ignored.

Last edited:
Back