Galway Plate

Melendez

At the Start
Cool Running looks a bit of a standout to me at the price. His last run over hurdles, while not offering much from a form perspective, shows he's in good enough heart after a trying time in 2008. I'm satisfied he did all that was expected of him on the day. He seems happy enough on most ground although a preference for somewhere around good. The distance looks ideal. Only 3lbs higher than when coming 3rd last year and probably ran better than that afterwards when 2nd to French Accordian.

Oslot seems remakably well treated by the handicapper and even at his short price in a rough race on an odd track it would seem sensible to at least save on him.

Last edited:
I´ve gone with Irish Invader in this - has been held in well regard by the yard for quite some time and despite the price feel he could go close today.

Not at all original, but I've rowed in with Oslot. I'm quite convinced that he is a better horse than today's rating would suggest.

Brendan Powell was thrilled to tell me this morning that he won this race 10 years ago! Evidently, his staff had the pleasure of watching the video of the race this morning and then he asked them questions afterwards!:)

:D typical!

I'm boring too, I'm with Oslot. Think he has little weight and a lot of talent - and Ruby. Whether he will like the course or not is the question for me.

Oslot jumped immaculately, which allowed him to comfortably hold his position around the inside. A very straightforward win.

Very impressive as the horse is inexperienced esp in such big fields

Some muppett on atr just phoned in to moan that he'd backed Hoo La Baloo and not Oslot because HLB was wearing the Stewart family's first colours, so he felt he'd been misled - why ever doesn't he use his own judgment :cool:

Last edited:
Some muppett on atr just phoned in to moan that he'd back Hoo La Baloo and not Oslot because HLB was wearing the Stewart's first colours, so he felt he'd been misled - why ever doesn't he use his own judgment :cool:

In an ideal world they'd go round his house, kidnap him and have him killed live on the preview programme tomorrow; that'll larn him (sic).

Yes, just wanted to praise Ansar as well - a proper Galway Legend and what a joy it must be to be associated with him!

@ Heads, the guy who phoned might well have been Jimmy - ok, only joking but backed Baloo too ;)

Back