Getting shot of the handicapper

krizon

At the Start
I can't think who it was, talking on ATR recently, who thought handicapping was the spawn of the devil, and ought to be chucked out. Was it Mark Johnston? Nah, can't recall, to be honest. Anyway, his thoughts were that handicapping is punitive for a horse's efforts, punishing him for winning, and not overall fair.

His suggestion for its replacement was that horses would rise in grades according to the amount of money they won, whether it was for 50 2nds or just one good 1st. Thus, you'd be looking at horses who were in the (I assume) 1-5K, 6-10K, 11-30K and so on grade races. Carrying the same weight throughout in their respective money grades.

It throws up some issues of weight in that lighter jockeys would always be lumbered with lead, dead rather than better live weight, but should we dismiss this as La-La Land, or really quite a good idea?

It would stand traditional racing on its head, but does it make more sense to put like with like, rather than often seeing runners 'out of the handicap', 'in the grip of the handicapper' and so on, eventually defeating the most talented and most genuine by crushing it with weight?

My guess is you would have trouble finding opportunities for currently 90+ rated horses, and the number of 6 year olds plodding around trying to avoid ballots in 1 - 5k races wouldn't be a great advert for new owners coming into the game. Although I prefer the idea of horses running off level weights and the best horse on the day wins, rather than whichever horse the handicapper got most wrong, it still is subject to horses being penalised for winning and the usual suspects will find their way to benefitting out of manipulating the system.

No reason it can't be run alongside the handicapping system, it could offer some nice opportunities for horses who have reached high ratings through consistantly decent performances that don't pay the bills.

It would certainly be desirable to reduce the number of handicaps. One advantage of a winnings-linked system would be its transparency, and it might work ok for horses while they are on the up. But would there be a way to fairly treat horses that have won plenty of money in their heyday but are in decline?

And it would be important to allow lower grade horses the chance to go for a big prize now and again.

Back