Going to Aintree: your advice please.

Tout Seul

Senior Jockey
Together with a friend I'm aiming to go to Aintree for at least the first day, hopefully the second as well. No longer wild ones, if we ever were, we are looking to find somewhere to stay within roughly 30/45 mins taxi ride from the course.
The ideal accommodation would be a comfortable hotel that provides or is close to somewhere that provides the opportunity to indulge in food and drink and swap racing memories in a relaxed atmosphere.

I am about to search the internet but would give more credence to recommendations from forum members. Suggestions please!

I think you'll be doing well to get anywhere decent this close to the meeting.

The Thursday is an absolute corker of a day's racing. Good atmosphere, not too crowded, savage quality horses.

I would go the Thursday and the Friday, and then watch Grand National day from the comfort of a couch / lounge bar / bookies' stool.

Why don't you stay in Southport? I think it is half an hour's drive from the racecourse, with nice restaurants, golf courses and boozers.

I have never stayed there, but I know some people who stayed there for golf during the summer. And they liked it.

Better to get the train from Southport IMO - that way you don't have to worry about parking etc. and it doesn't involve going into Liverpool city centre on the way back so should avoid a lot of the congestion. It's about 25-30 mins on the train IIRC.

Martin

I think you'll be doing well to get anywhere decent this close to the meeting.

The Thursday is an absolute corker of a day's racing. Good atmosphere, not too crowded, savage quality horses.

I would go the Thursday and the Friday, and then watch Grand National day from the comfort of a couch / lounge bar / bookies' stool.

I echo the above, National Day is an exceptionally emotionally trying day! I felt worse than Ballabriggs ever did leaving the racecourse.

Laurence, Southport may well be your best bet now. Plenty of bars / restaurants for post racing refreshment, and not too far to travel in from by car or train ( you will need one change if by train ). May possibly go again this year Thursday and or Friday, so would be good to catch up for a pint again.

Southport's lovely, Tout Seul. I stay there most years.

Pretty town, central railway station, frequent trains, some good pubs, cafes and restaurants and friendly natives.

My mate checked reviews of places suggested and we are at the Premier Inn. I hope they don't close too early ( might sneak off to Southport). Many thanks for the replies.

Last edited:
Going to Aintree

I travelled in by train last year from Manchester and found once arriving at Licverpool Lime Street staff were well organised in directing you where to go and purchase tickets for frequent trains to the course and even after racing trains travelling back into the city centre were well mashalled and average wait was 20 30 mins no trouble at all. Recomend this way of travel to anyone.

Back