Goodwood Saturday

Flame

At the Start

Bluesquarepoker.com Stakes (Handicap)

(Class 3) (3yo,0-90)
£12,462.00
1m3f

Bencoolen looked good collecting last time and he stuck on gamely over this trip winning with a bit to spare. He is 7lb higher now, and whilst I’m not sure why he sports the visors instead of the cheekpieces he is one that could go well.

Woolfall Treasure has likely been bought with jumping in mind and he was found out last time at Ascot. He faces another tough task here.

Off 86 Tomintoul Flyer doesn’t look badly handicapped to me and his work of late at home has been satisfactory matching strides with Kandahar Run in midweek. He can be forgiven a blip last time and has each way claims here.

Addikt done his job well last time and like so many of these appears to still be improving. He stayed on as if this trip would suit last time and whilst he is 9lb higher he is at least progressing.

Wikaala beat an okay sort last time but it was over 3f shorter. Whilst connections have to be respected I don’t really get the impression he needs this trip and he doesn’t interest me.

Greylami appeared to blow up here on his penultimate start and last time over a slightly shorter trip at Sandown he finished well to grab 3rd. The form of that race isn’t that strong but he is progressing and looks the sort to be suited by this trip. He is off a mark of 80 again and could have place claims.

St Jean Cap Ferrat has been an expensive horse to follow and I’m not convinced his yard is in form. He looked like he would prefer slower ground on his last start and is one to pass over until we get some slower ground.

Stow was a fortunate winner for me at Bath and I’m not convinced Hayley Turner gave the second a very good ride. He was soundly beaten last time out and looks off a high enough mark off 78. I could easily pass him over.

Palmerin win was the benefit of a strong ride by Eddie Ahern at Sandown but he was unable to follow up off this mark last time when returning to the Surrey venue. He doesn’t strike me as a Richard Hughes ride and I couldn’t have him here.

Cosmea runs on Friday at Bath where she looks nailed on to me. This could be on the cards tomorrow and her win at Windsor was a competitive race before again winning in good style last time. She still appears to be ahead of the handicapper and is a leading player here for me.

Sinbad The Sailor does represent an in form yard and last time out he showed a gutsy attitude to get up near the line. He will improve for this extra furlong but he takes on stronger opposition here and that may count against him.

Drum Major who made a noise on the gallops for Sir Michael Stoute is one that sold fairly at the sales and does give the impression he will get further. Not given the most inspiring of rides at Sandown a change of scenery may have done him good and it wouldn’t be a total shock if he ran well.

Cathedral Walk has looked one paced over a mile but a 3f step up in trip may be a bit of an ask at this level. The same can be said about Southpaw Lad who also looks outclassed.

Deep Winter is now on a four timer and this was a horse that stood out to me when making its debut at Pontefract at the start of the season. Under a 6lb penalty to take her to 63, she still looks ahead of her mark and I would expect to see her suited by this longer trip. This is tougher than she has ran in prior but I think she is solid each way.

Air Chief hasn’t really gone on from his impressive Bath win in April and has no excuses over this trip last time. He is not good enough on that evidence despite this ground suiting better.

Summary

This is open and competitive and strangely for a handicap of this nature there isn’t too many screaming out that they are very well handicapped.

In the hands of Gary Moore I do feel we will see more from Drum Major and if allowed to go off at long odds I would want him on my side. The same can be said about Greylami as well but for me three look the classier types.

Deep Winter on a four timer is in good form and her trainer does well here. She has improved with each run and is one to have on side. So is Alan King’s Cosmea who has a good turn of foot and has effectively proven herself recently with a couple of decent success’.

However Henry Cecil is a trainer that has been good for me this season and I really rate the claims of TOMINTOUL FLYER. He has been working very well at home of late with Kandahar Run and when he won, he beat a smart improving filly of Sir Mark Prescott’s. A bit disappointing last time but I can forgive that and I think he will take all the beating over this trip off what appears to be a solid mark.

Selection: TOMINTOUL FLYER (8/10) (E/W)

Savers: Drum Major, Greylami, Cosmea & Deep Winter (E/w)

Blue Square Premier Stakes (Registered As The Thoroughbred Stakes)

(Listed Race) (Class 1)
(3yo)
£28,385.00
1m

A cracking mile listed race but this could end up being a pointer to a very high class horse.

Alexandros had excuses at Chester having been going nicely before being hampered and missing out on a place. He ran well next time at Epsom lacking the tactical pace but disappointed at Ascot last time. This is a drop in class but he may require a tad further than this.

Alfathaa ran good at Ascot and then improved on that effort with a close 2nd in a race tailor made for him at Newmarket. No match for the winner, this extra furlong is probably not ideal and is best watched until going for a 7f handicap or something similar over that trip.

Atlantic Sport for some reason didn’t give his showing last time and he may have bounced or he may have just flattened out under a too confident ride. He is likely to get the strong pace he needs and he has continued to please at home. The yard rate him very highly and with Eddie Creighton back on board he could go close.

Duntulm won a nice couple of handicaps but this is a big step up in class taking on horses with group aspirations. The trip should suit but I would have thought there were a couple better than him in this.

Meeriss is struggling to find a trip but does have early speed. He is in this to make the pace for Atlantic Sport and should ensure there is no messing about.

Moyenne Corniche is one I liked when winning his Newbury maiden and I did think he was slightly unlucky at Newmarket next time. He has disappointed since however and cant be fancied on recent form.

Perfect Stride was not right in the Guineas and after a break and some impressive gallops he looked the business destroying fair handicappers off a tentative mark at Ascot last weekend. Always held in high regard, he does need to improve at this level but does at least have the scope to do so.

River Proud who was a useful 2yo showed good form in the Craven and suggested he would be smart over ten furlongs this season. He was short of room when they quickened up in the French Guineas and is value for improvement on that. He does however look a horse that may want a bit further and whilst he is clearly classy he may get cone for speed here.

Stubbs Art is the proven class act in the race and he looked god when finishing 3rd in the English and Irish Guineas. Disappointing at Ascot he wasn’t ever really going and whilst he came back sore, he was disappointing. Claims on his best form here but hard to know what improvement is left.

Summary

An open race with a few potentially smart horses in.

River Proud (Absent since France) and Stubbs Art (disappointing last time) are the proven class acts but they still have questions to answer and may be short at the head of the market. I really didn’t like the way Stubbs Art finished poorly last time and would be inclined to favour River Proud of the pair.

Another improving sort is Perfect Stride and undoubtedly impressive as he was at Ascot it was only a handicap and he didn’t really have to be asked serious questions on that occasion. 2nd run quickly after a little break may also be a worry but he is open to improvement and has to be respected.

That said the fact Mick Channon has employed a proper pacemaker in Meeriss means this will be run at a strong gallop to suit the highly regarded ATLANTIC SPORT. It just didn’t happen for him at Newbury last time and its possible he bounced.

He is up to the mile that he needs today and Eddie Creighton is welcomed back into the plate with open arms. He really has been catching the eye on the gallops of late and the strongly run mile here will really suit. He can see off Perfect Stride and River Proud who are the dangers.

Selection: ATLANTIC SPORT (8/10) (E/W)

Savers: River Proud & Perfect Stride

Blue Square Nassau Stakes (Group 1) (Fillies & Mares)

(Class 1) (3yo+)
£113,540.00
1m1f192y

A fair group one but in all reality this should be between no more than four horses.

Heaven Sent has had a busy campaign and has been running well in top class races but doesn’t appear to be the most finding in a finish at this grade and that’s why she is up in trip. Working well at home but needs to improve to give the weight to the 3yo’s.

Majestic Roi has proven very disappointing this season and whilst she has ability to go well at this level, she cant be fancied on what she has shown of late.

Passage Of Time returned right back to form at Newbury last time out and showed a real gutsy attitude to see off the much improved Bankable in a strong battle. She would have preferred the ground a bit slower but back to her best after some impressive work lately and has to be respected.

Soft Morning is gutsy and ran well last time but this is much tougher and faces a hard task at this level.

Cape Amber who will want rain was disappointing in her latest gallop and has struggled at this level lately. I really cant see her getting involved here.

Classic Remark of Harry Dunlop’s showed a real good attitude to score last time at Newcastle and looked value for a step up in class. However a step up to group one level clearly looks beyond her at the moment and she would prefer a slower surface.

Halfway To Heaven is another who has to come under serious consideration and far from disgraced in France she ran a belter to cling on gamely at the Curragh. This step of 1.5f looks a good opportunity for her and she is clearly a proven class act. I’m not quite sure if she is good enough to beat the other Irish runner but she should be involved.

Lush Lashes is that other filly to consider and in my opinion she is as close to a nailed on certainty you will see. I’m convinced she is a class above these even for a group one and the way she won the Coronation she was majorly impressive. This ground suits her to a tee and she is hard to oppose.

Muthabara has been crying out for this trip, and for me is a good solid each way bet. Not disgraced in the Guineas, she was finishing well at Ascot. This longer trip is what she needs and if a bit more rain falls she could become the chief danger to the Irish filly.

Sugar Mint stays 8f well giving the impression she wants 10f but every time over 10f she doesn’t look to quite get home. She also looks outclassed at this level.

Summary

For me this is very one sided and I think LUSH LASHES (Nap) is a different class to her rivals. Her impressive Ascot romp saw her look something special and she didn’t shape as if she was stopping. Already proven over 10f she returns to the trip she impressed over at York and will be hard to beat here.

Muthabara who finally tries this trip and the consistent Halfway To Heaven look the main dangers, whilst Passage Of Time has claims if in the same form as when she won at Newbury.

Selection: LUSH LASHES (10/10)

Savers: Muthabara & Halfway To Heaven

Last edited:

Bluesquare.com Stewards' Cup (Heritage Handicap)

(Class 2) (3yo+)
£62,310.00
6f

The sprint yesterday will prove the best guide to where you want to be drawn but for me its low to middle. I think that stalls 18 – 28 look the stalls you don’t want to be in and therefore I will eliminate the following. Confuchias (18), Prime Defender (19), Hoh Hoh Hoh (22), Buachaill Dona (27), Patavellian (25), Bentong (24), Northern Fling (23), Off The Record (28), Hinton Admiral (21), Rising Shadow (26) & Orpsie Boy (20).

Here are my views on the remainder;

Edge Closer (10) ran okay at Newbury and is 2lb lower for that 5th to Intrepid Jack but he found carrying a high weight in a handicap too much for him at Ascot. That counts against him here.

Borderlescott (1 )is a very consistent sort and he always runs his race. Only 1lb higher than when second last season he is well drawn again and can be expected to run his race once again. Likely to be involved even if a bit high in the weights to win.

Beaver Patrol (6) is a nice sort and has a good finish to his races however he is very high off 104 at present and he just couldn’t find his feet last time behind Hitches in a decent contest. Clearly been kept for this race but for me he is a couple of pounds too high at present.

Hitches (5) probably needed the run at Ascot last time and he also looked a non stayer over 7f. He looks a class horse to me and back over 6f he is still open to improvement. His mark of 107 is winnable off and I really think he has outstanding claims on ground he loves and back over his trip.

King’s Apostle’s (3) 3rd in the Wokingham was not bettered as some would have expected in the International but he doesn’t stay 7f and this 6f is his real trip. Drawn on the apparent unfavoured side in the Wokingham he showed that day he is capable and whilst 4lb higher than that effort he is back on his ground and this time has the draw to boot. He can track the likes of Borderlescott from his position and I can’t see him being far away.

Knot In Wood (17) is interesting and he held on gamely to see off Baby Strange last time out. He does need to improve for this as the 3lb penalty makes it hard and whilst running up the centre late may well suit him, he just lacks that killer instinct to win a race like this for my liking.

Protector (11) is 5lb higher than his last win still and is better on softer ground so I’m keen to look elsewhere.

Indian Trail (9) wasn’t unfancied in the Wokingham but didn’t show enough. It was the same story last time and he may need to drop a few more pounds yet.

Mac Gille Eoin (8) is another leading player and he loves it here, he stays well and he’s got a formidable turn of foot. The ground really suits him and trainer reports him in good form. The ground at present should be ideal and he could be dangerous finishing off a strong pace.

Ashdown Express (2) will be a well cheered winner given he has been great for his connections over the years, now off 97 he has slipped to a mark where he could be dangerous and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him bounce back to form on a track he has a good record at.

Machinist (7) is 2lb lower than when staying on in the Wokingham but whilst he is slipping down to a winnable mark I’m not convinced he has enough in hand to do it in a race of this nature. I don’t think he’ll be disgraced but this may be a bit too hot for him nowadays.

Something (15) is another dropping down the weights but he hasn’t shown enough in recent races for me to have confidence in him.

Sohraab (13) has a 3lb penalty for his win at Newmarket and then he disappointed last time out, back to 6f I’m not sure it will suit and I wouldn’t be having any confidence in him.

Conquest (14) is one you have to forget his form figures. He is very much will he or wont he and now off 95 I think he could strike. He needs the ground pretty face and he is one I think will go close despite massive odds.

Sirens Gift (4) has been running off this mark for a while but looks to be in needs of a couple of lbs relief by the handicapper. She also is yet to totally prove she stays 6f and that can cunt against her here.

Fyodor (12) is one I don’t give much hope to apart from a good draw and the fact he is better over 5f counts against him.

Bottom weight Barney McGrew (16) I think is well in off 94 and he just crept in here. He looks in good form and was all dressed up with nowhere to go for quite a while last time out. He was value to finish much closer and is ideally drawn here to sweep late. I quietly fancy him.

Summary

I actually think this is very open and I give six or seven a chance.

Borderlescott is one you can set your watch by and he is sure to run his race whilst Mac Gille Eoin, Conquest and Ashdown Express are ones who I expect to give there all.

However three stand out.

Kings Apostle probably should have won the Wokingham and whilst 4lb higher he is back over his trip after an unsuited prep last week, he is one who will be thereabouts.

Hitchens is another who for me is handicapped to go close and I think he needed that last time to be spot on here. But for me this can go to the bottom weight BARNEY MCGREW. He caught my eye significantly last time and with a clearer passage and a stronger ride I don’t think he would have been beaten. He is in good form and his 2in 3 runs ago when only 4lb lower suggested to me he had a big race in him. Michael Dods has made the long journey down here to take this and I think he will.

Selection: BARNEY MCGREW (7/10) (E/w)

Savers: Mac Gille Eoin, Ashdown Express, Kings Apostle & Hichens

Remaining Races

Blue Square E B F Maiden Stakes (Colts & Geldings)

(Class 2) (2yo)
£12,952.00
7f

This is a very good maiden and I can pass on notes on the following;

Capeability of Mick Channon’s is a lovely colt by Cape Cross and he has been working very well at home with some of the leading juveniles of the yard and whilst he will need the run the yard will be expecting him to not be too far away.

Cloudy Start needed the run on debut and has improved since. He works okay at home but Henry’s Colts are behind his fillies and this lad will be better in time.

Dialogue of Mark Johnston’s is reported as being very nice and he should be one to be involved. He is regarded as one of the better ones and shook up Weatherstaff on the gallops the other morning. He is expected to go well.

Dreamwalk probably has just about the best form here and he was 2nd to a good horse of Richard Hannon’s on debut before a fair 3rd in a decent Newbury maiden won by a nice horse. He should run his race but may do better in handicaps.

Full Toss done nothing wrong on debut and is sure to have improved, but bar the winner I don’t think there was too much in behind and may find some of these too good for him.

Highland Storm can be said similar and he was only placed in modest races, he is best watched.

Master Fong met a good one on debut and should improve from that but this is a very hot maiden.

Monetary Fund comes here instead of running at Sandown the other night. He has been working very well at home and is expected to go close on debut.

Mt Kintyre is nice, he is not one for his maiden but shows promise on the gallops. I would look out for him in nurseries.

However the one I want to be with here is HOLYROOD. He gives every impression he is Sir Michael Stoute’s best 2yo and he has been flying up the gallops of late. He looked top class in recent work and he was just too green to do himself justice on his debut. This 7f will really suit him and he should prove in a different league to these. For me the dangers lie with Capeability, Monetary Fund and Dialogue.

Selection: HOLYROOD (10/10)

Savers: Capeability, Monetary Fund & Dialogue (E/w)

Bluesquare.com Nursery Stakes (Handicap)

(Class 2) (2yo)
£12,952.00
6f

I’m not a real fan of nursery handicaps and this looks very tough.

I was impressed by the way Fault battled at Newbury and thought he could be a nice sort but I just think there may be a couple tougher in this.

Golden Rosie was backed as if she couldn’t get beat last time and whilst she weakened late on the 4lb drop in the weights and this fast surface could suit more.

Noble Jack may have not got home last time but for me the yard have the winner of this with TISHTAR. His 3rd at Haydock was very solid and the 1st and 2nd have since proved capable at group level. He won with alot in hand at Salisbury and the time was solid. For me he looks custom made for this extra furlong and he can prove too good for the solid Fault.

Selection: TISHTAR (8/10)

Saver: Fault

Bluesquarecasino.com Apprentice Stakes (Handicap)

(Class 3) (4yo+,0-90)
£12,952.00
1m1f

Well its the final race and a very tricky one at that so I find this a very hard race to get involved in. For me its just too open but I will take two to be with.

Zero Tolerance has run three solid races this and is off a mark he could well win off but I will take him on here with COUNT CEPRANO who to me looked to be crying out for this trip last time when keeping on strongly behind Yamal. Dropped a lb the winner gave the form a boost in the week and he will prove hard to beat over this trip on ground he absolutely loves.

Selection: COUNT CEPRANO (7/10) (e/w)

Saver: Zero Tolerance

Well that completes the final day of our previews and I hope you had a good week.

Good Luck

Chris Beek

Lush Lashes looks a bit of a good thing today. She should be 5/4 tops. I`ve had a ton on her at 2.52 and will lay a third of it off if she gets into the low 2.3s.

Borderlesscott looks nailed on to be in the shake-up in the Stewards. I`ve backed him win and place @ 12 and 3.5 on Betfair.

Having my first and probably only bet of the flat season today.

We deal with the stable and I know the trainer has been targeting Mac Gille Eoin at this for nearly a year not that he will be alone I'm sure.

The trainer's gallops are up and down, so he's used to it and won't mind the undulations at Goodwood. Had a run over five furlongs at Ascot last time, when he finished seventh but I'm told the race was too short for him and the ground was too soft, but he needed to go somewhere for a race because he's quite a stuffy horse and that was the only one suitable for him.

His win at Epsom last month was pretty good and two runs ago at Windsor, when he was fourth, jockey reckoned he would have won if he'd run straight. They were thinking of putting blinkers on Mac Gille Eoin for the first time in his 27-race career today (don't know whether they have ??) because it tends to hang right or left when he's under pressure, so the headgear would in theory keep him straight.

The horse has won twice and finished second in four runs at Goodwood each time ridden by Jim Crowley.

put all my savers and selections in a placepot today and had 5p perm,

10p into second leg. (had done 4 in opener, d major was already non runner pre placing bet)

It will be interesting to see if Halfway to Heaven can outrun her pedigree.APOB got a mile win from Airwave -in view of the stables current form she is a very fair price.

What the fuck has the clerk done with that ground. What a gigantic tosser. I`ve laid most of my bet on Lush Lashes off. All week CH4 have gone on about the chinless twat being in constant contact with some woman from the Met Office, so why did he water last night??

I thought they only watered the g/f areas on the bend.

How much rain was there? They said after the first race the time suggested the ground was still riding quick.

Lots of blue sky so i`m assuming it was a brief shower. Funnily enough Lush Lashes is 2.2 now, the shortest she`s ever been.

you won't see a more unlucky loser all season, best horse by a mile was 2nd, would have hacked up with a run, fact.

Lush Lashes looks a bit of a good thing today. She should be 5/4 tops. I`ve had a ton on her at 2.52 and will lay a third of it off if she gets into the low 2.3s.

That was absolutely infuriating - esp as I'm in a big sweep and Lush Lashes is one of my allotted 6 horses! :mad:

And much as we all admire Ballydoyle it would have been so nice to see some other yard get a big prize... esp as Lush Lashes was the best in the race by far! Bad jockeyship by so many, and JM had the balls to go on, so deserved it

He might not be the best ever jockey, but I dont think I can remember a jockey in better form - riding consistently brilliantly in Gp races - than Murtagh. Closing the door on Lush Lashes without interfering.

Manning was unlucky. Just made the wrong choices.

Nice ride Mr Manning. Just unbelievable. I`m on my knees looking for a good winner, have a nice value bet on easily the best horse in the race and get raped again. Pleased for Mr O`Brien though, i`m sure he needed that more than me.

I disagree it was a bad ride, just unfortunate, she tracked the winner and was ideally placed, however the doors never opened. Also Heaven Sent pushing into her didn't help matters, I wouldn't say it was a bad ride, just an unfortunate series of events.

However just noticed, Kevin dropped his reigns 100yds out

Last edited:
It was a shit ride because early doors he was in an ideal position and then lost it. Does Murtagh lose if he`s on her???

I agree it was unfortunate, but burying yourself in like that off a slow pace is always liable to get you in trouble, especially when you are the one everyone knows they have to beat.

It's not as if she has shown a particularly need to be covered up.

Last edited:
Back