Grand National 2009

To me Casey never gave Snowy Morning a breather, he virtually admitted to as much in his interview afterwards. What’s more he kept bringing the horse out wide to have an angle at his fences (giving up ground) where as Ruby just sticks to the rail…does not give an inch.

He is the type of horse to keep improving and I would imagine (as Garney suggests) he won’t see a fence again after the Punchestown Festival until the weights are out.

The praise that both Ruby and Willie heaped on Casey after Hedgehunter won the Grand National was noticeable. Maybe it was a cooperative decision for Ruby to ride Hedgehunter this year, with in the back of the connections minds that next year would be SM main chance. Will Hedgehunter be back next year for him to restrict the weights perhaps? I think Mullins will be hoping that Denman does take up the challenge.

I think Mullins will be hoping that Denman does take up the challenge.

If Denman runs, filtering out runners over 11 stone wont help much, and you could concievably make an exception with Denman.

I thought they've knocked the Denman notion on the head?

Hedgehunter carried 11.1 to win the National - I can't see Snowy Morning getting any less than 11.7 next year...

Originally posted by Garney@Apr 8 2008, 09:30 AM
Because he finished so close it seems silly to think that Snowy Morning needs chasing experience. Amazing how well he jumped given the hairy round in the Bobbyjo......
I have to admit that SM was the one I got all wrong. I didn't give him much chance this year given his relatively poor season [comp to the previous one] and I felt he'd be hunted round with a view to giving him experience of the race for next year - to some extent that was true as he was taken wide to get a good look. I was very impressed with him, and wouldn't discount him next year if he's not clobbered. But he will be, I fear.

Comply or Die up 3lbs + the 11 previously
KJC up 11lbs
SM same + the 9lbs previously for his improved form this season
SP same
BB & CL both down 2lbs

Seems very fair, thought the first 3 might have got a couple of pounds more.

I've rated this year's race through Slim Pickings running to the same figure as last year.

Comply Or Die has run a few pounds better than at Newcastle and pretty much in line with his 2005 Sun Alliance form. However, the likes of Trabolgan and L'Ami subsequently showed further improvement and COD won with, to my eye, a fair bit in hand. I have him on 156+. If he's now on 152, he'll almost certainly find himself off 155/156, possibly as much as 158 in next year's race, once the handicapper factors in Aintree form. This means he'll have top weight, unless the likes of Denman is entered, but off 156 or more Comply Or Die will have no chance, unless he can run to at least 170 over course and distance. It would be a huge ask.

Similarly, the other principals will be weighted out of it, rightly or wrongly.

Bewley's Berry and Cloudy Lane have now proved they aren't up to it, as had L'Ami and Kelami and others in previous attempts.

I reckon we need to look away from the National for next year's winner. The UK handicapper has now latched on to the true value of the better Irish chases and is hammering the principals when they come over here. The only one he couldn't get a handle on this year was King Johns Castle and that was the one that almost won it for Ireland. He took a big risk with his rating of Snowy Morning but told us in advance that he'd got that one wrong.

To me, the key prerequisites will provide next year's winner:

First and foremost, you need a well handicapped entry, which you won't get if you go for one of this year's first four. Then it needs to have shown form in top 3m+ races. If you find one that also gets in with less than 11-0 that's a bonus, in my opinion, rather than a necessity.

Hear The Echo is on 145 after the Irish GN. Even if he gets in off that, he'd need a top-weight of 158 to get in under 11st. What's the likelihood?

Back