Grand Prix De St Cloud

Wasn't that brilliant ? Go Youmi ! He travelled so well today , no sign of a flat spot when they quickened up.

Enormously talented as Duke of Marmalade is over 1m 2f - their respective prices seem odd for the KG - Youmzain will be a tough nut to crack in the KG and D of M will have to stay the 12f well and at present who knows .

I doubt somehow Yzain will be 66s for the Arc this year .

Do people think Youmzain is a better horse now than when he ran in the King George last year, and if not, does that mean Dylan Thomas' 4 length romp has been underrated, and in turn Manduro's Prince of Wales?

I have Youmizain 127 for today race, this is the first he has been well ridden in a long time,

About last year I have him on 124 or 125 for the Arc and 122 or 123 for the KG.

Soldier Of Fortune needs softer ground,
Getaway very dissapointing, he should be targeted the GP Von Baden, he is not fast enough for a KG or Arc.

I think he has indeed improved with age and confidence - just a Manduro did.

Dylan, Manduro and Youmzain are all three imo exceptional horses, and I feel grateful to their respective trainers and owners for keeping these stallion prosepcts going well past their Classic seasons

Interesting comments Headstrong, though I'd argue they wouldn't have been stallion prospects had they been retired at 3 yrs.

That's probably true! - but I love seeing these older horses come good through patience and fulfill their potential rather than being cast off to japan or wherever. It takes a very good trainer to keep an entire sweet and keen at 5 [or 7 - Yeats] - esp in a yard like Channon's full of 2yr old fillies LOL

As in Irish Derby and Irish Champion Stakes winner Dylan Thomas could easily have taken his place at stud at the end of his 3yo career. That said, he was clearly always going to continue once he failed to act on dirt in his BC Classic prep.

Originally posted by chrisbeekracing@Jun 29 2008, 03:52 PM
I can't wait to read Dom's comments. Looking at that King George Stakes page she talks about him as if he is selling class.

I wonder if we will hear an I was wrong !!!!

On second thoughts can't see that happening. (stir)
My comments in response to what? I don't believe that I commented at all on his chances today, I said I didn't think he'd win the King George and I didn't think he looked overpriced for that race. Nowhere did I say he was, or even talk about the horse, as if he were selling class.

Now, after all the celebrations and cheering have died down would you like to remind yourself that you in fact posted :

Small field wouldn't have me interested in Youmzain, couldn't see past getaway myself

...so I wonder who was more wrong in their comments on the horse's chance in this particular race, since I said nothing whatsoever on the subject? :D

I think Chris may have opened himself up to criticism there, but what Youmzain did today confirmed that he was surely overpriced for the KG. I wouldn't be rushing to back him to follow up now btw ~ a horse always has its price.

I disagree with the criticism of Hughes in respect of past rides on this horse. He was beaten by a better horse in the KG and Arc and when they tried riding him close to the pace before he did not get home in Dubai.

The horse just travelled really well today as he did in the Arc and when in this sort of form is some horse , in fact he got there too easily hence Hughes not asking him till just over a furlong out and was idling at the end. Rory has a good point though , if he runs with a flat spot as he has done a number of times - Duke of M may have flown before he begins a late charge.

Originally posted by rorydelargy@Jun 29 2008, 08:01 PM
I think Chris may have opened himself up to criticism there, but what Youmzain did today confirmed that he was surely overpriced for the KG. I wouldn't be rushing to back him to follow up now btw ~ a horse always has its price.
I did open myself up and I was wrong.

That said i wouldn't want to take an under ew price about Youmzain for a King George, as non guarantee Hughsie wouldnt wait longer.

I personally didn't expect Youmzain to win today, I really fancied the French horse on its Newmarket run. I'm never afraid to say I'm wrong when I know I'm wrong.

Originally posted by chrisbeekracing@Jun 29 2008, 11:32 PM

I personally didn't expect Youmzain to win today, I really fancied the French horse on its Newmarket run. I'm never afraid to say I'm wrong when I know I'm wrong.
Same here, i wasn`t convinced one pacemaker would ensure the fast pace he needs. However i made a vow with myself after the Coronation Cup that i wasn`t gonna miss out when he did win a Group 1, so today i had £60 on Getaway as my main bet and just £20 on Youmzain at the over-generous 9s.

First time I haven't backed him in a long time, but delighted he's finally won a top group 1. I think he'll take all the beating in the King George and the Arc,

He's a better horse than Soldier of Fortune, cantered all over him and the Ballydoyle horse has no excuses.

He's a better horse than Soldier of Fortune, cantered all over him and the Ballydoyle horse has no excuses.

At moment, I'm disagreeing with you here Andrew for the reasons i put up earlier on the thread and what my ratings tell me

Later match up's may prove you right though

Originally posted by Charlie D@Jun 30 2008, 08:07 PM

At moment, I'm disagreeing with you here Andrew for the reasons i put up earlier on the thread and what my ratings tell me
I think they`re on a very similar level ability wise. No doubt that SoF was overrated for his Irish Derby success.

Originally posted by Shadow Leader@Jun 29 2008, 07:42 PM
I don't believe that I commented at all on his chances today, I said I didn't think he'd win the King George and I didn't think he looked overpriced for that race.
Au contraire, Ms Leader. In the KGVIQEDS thread you said "he hasn't realistically looked like he's up to winning the types of races he's always campaigned in"

Given that this race was one which featured in his calendar last year and is a premier 1m4f Gp1, the type which he is "always campaigned in", I put it to you that you did indeed comment on his chances, albeit in an indirect manner.

Now take your medicine like a good little girl! :P

Originally posted by davidjohnson@Jun 29 2008, 04:22 PM
Do people think Youmzain is a better horse now than when he ran in the King George last year, and if not, does that mean Dylan Thomas' 4 length romp has been underrated, and in turn Manduro's Prince of Wales?
Not sure about Youmzain improving David (did he really improve on his Arc run at the weekend?), but I will say that I have a hard time believing Dylan Thomas was at his best at Royal Ascot last year. That's not to take anything away from Manduro.

Dylan Thomas was at his best in the King George.

Youmizain slightly better for me on sunday than in the Arc

Back