Grand SteepleChase de Paris

chroniclandlord

Senior Jockey
Looking at the prize money on offer (243k to the winner last year), is it a wonder that some of the British or Irish stables don't have a crack at it?

How do those that follow French chasing think that the top French chasers compare to those in Britian or Ireland?

They're generally rated around 10-12lbs below the best over here by those who rate both UK and French jumps races - I know Mullins has sent Pomme Tiepy for a few cracks at the GSDP in 2008 she was 7th beaten 13 1/2 lengths by Princesse D'Anjou and in 2009 beaten 39 lengths by Remember Rose.

It's worth noting that the GSDP is run over 3m 5f and isn't left or right-handed but both, there are a wide variety of obstacles rather than the plain birch we have and horses carry less weight than over here too. I know Nicholls considered it for Denman prior to inspecting the ground which he was unhappy with (it can look patchy at times due to seeing plenty of action, though they're trying to rectify that).

I think it would be worth sending something over and attempting to make all - possibly something like Midnight Chase? Bit below top class over here but will stay the trip and front runs.

IMO it's difficult to compare the two as they're run in vastly different circumstances, the best over here could go over and bomb and vice versa - Master Minded was a decent horse at up to 2m 5f as a 4yo in France but was a revelation over here whilst Mail De Bievre was beaten in an Exeter bumper prior to switching to France and proving to be a very useful 4yo Chaser.

The prize money as you say is so much better than here and Nick Williams sent two over (Shalimar Fromentro and Horatio Caine) last autumn and those two are entered up again this Sunday at Auteuil whilst Gary Moore's Fruity O'Rooney is also entered this weekend.

Martin

What Irish said....though he forgot to mention the bit about 99% of UK and Irish trainers nit having the foresight or savvy to make Auteuil raids.

As for the GSdP, you want a thorough stayer who goes on bottomless ground. Notre Pere was the type of animal who would have thrived in the race, imo.

As Grassy said I forgot that bit - I should probably have put whilst most of the owners are over here moaning about running for 3k when they could hop over the channel at any moment and run for ten times that at Auteuil or Enghien or 5 times that at any provincial and easily accessible course (think Le Touquet, Saint-Brieuc, Clairefontaine or Dieppe all of which are locate near ports served by the UK).

It seems to be only you and I who occasionally voice that opinion, Martin, along with the excitement of French chasing. When finances improve, I plan to hop across to see some of it - you can be my guide, and instead of you buying the frothy coffees, I'll treat you!

It seems to be only you and I who occasionally voice that opinion, Martin, along with the excitement of French chasing. When finances improve, I plan to hop across to see some of it - you can be my guide, and instead of you buying the frothy coffees, I'll treat you!
There's a few people out there who like the French racing - I've a friend who went to Lyon La Soie yesterday via the Eurostar and the domestic French trains, Lyon-Parilly looks a nice course.

Dieppe is easy to do with a hotel stop overnight - 9:30am ferry and a 4pm evening meeting, sorted :)

This summer, I wouldn't mind Cagnes-sur-Mer - it looks very pretty, and perhaps there's a nice seafood restaurant nearby.

Nice itself looks lovely Kri - sadly CSM appear to only race from December until Feb during the AW season and the winter jumps season that I can see at the moment.

Can recommend all the Paris tracks (not been to Fontainbleau, Compiegne or Chantilly which are just outside Paris mind) - Maisons-Laffitte has it's own training centre so possibly like a more urban version of Newmarket whilst Longchamp, Auteuil and Saint-Cloud are relatively close together.

Chantilly is definitely worth a visit. Trains go out to it from Gare du Nord, the same station into which the Eurostar arrives from London, and the airport trains from Charles de Gaulle/Roissy.

Oh, how strange that Cagnes doesn't race during the warmer months! I look forward to going racing in France a few times in future. Really want to see Auteuil's chases and visit Chantilly. Got my Horseracing Abroad brochure, but blimey, their prices have gone supernova in spite of pockets having shrunk. Probably much cheaper to do it for oneself.

Oh, how strange that Cagnes doesn't race during the warmer months! I look forward to going racing in France a few times in future. Really want to see Auteuil's chases and visit Chantilly. Got my Horseracing Abroad brochure, but blimey, their prices have gone supernova in spite of pockets having shrunk. Probably much cheaper to do it for oneself.
It most definitely is - can do 4 or 5 nights return with Eurostar for about £250, I'd imagine RA would charge that for 2 days.

I'm finding that out now Grey - booking in advance (think within 2 weeks of tickets being published) and you can do a return for £100 or so IIRC.

Far from being great but www.etaphotel.com are great value Travelodge type hotels throughout France and do a decent continental breakfast too.

Actually they do have summer racing there, unfortunately it is of the trotting variety. Seem to recall from a few summers spent on the blue coast, many moons ago, that they had evening meetings two to three times a week.

For summer racing in France, middle of July thru end of August Deauville and the picturesque Clairefontaine more or less across the street from the Deauville track are the places to visit.

Chantilly is definitely worth a visit but better to go for the Derby than the the Diane as the track is simply overpopulated on the latter day.

Thanks, Brendan - I've never seen a live trotting race and I've no bias against them as some people have. The interesting thing is that French trotting is both with sulkies and ridden, I believe. My first pony (I say pony, but built like a tank) was a brilliant trotter and won some kids' trotting races with me aboard - once he really threw out his shoulders he went as fast as he did at a canter. Super feeling.

Back