Great Beers, Lagers, Spirits!!

Ok

Not much of a lager drinker, but German ones for me

Beer.Again not much these days and usually guinness. Fullers for ale. A world class beer,but so many good ones around these days

I probably drink about 4 pints a month

Spirits. again not much. Scotch or Gin. Whyte Mackay scotch and Sipsmiths Gin (but many good ones around now)

ha I'm not as posh as some of you, but my favourite tasting drink at the moment has to be kopperberg strawberry and lime.
Lager not fussed on but if I'm in a pub I would go for Stella
Beer never drink it
Spirits, never ever drink them :)

Lager: Hahn Super Dry

Beer: Guinness

Spirits : Never

Should do wine as well!

Wine : Brokenwood Cricket Pitch Shiraz

Lager: Of the mainstream ones, I prefer Estrella. Sapporo is a very nice drop too. Frontier is a nice new craft one which Fullers have bought out. Moritz is also a very good one from Barcelona.

Beer: Tribute is top drawer as an ale but so is Farmers Blonde, London Gold (Youngs), Le Peloton from Brains and there are a few good Sussex ones near me. I also love wheat beer and Vedett Extra White just pips Hoegaarden to the post. London Meantime Pale Ale also lovely.

Wine: Not so well up on my wine but Piquepoul is usually a NAP on any half decent restaurant menu.

Last edited:
Lager: Peroni or Estrella on draft (latter harder to get up here), bit nothing beats a Strawberry cider on a hot day.

Beer: Only Guiness

Spirits: most anything, though nothing whisky-based

Wine: Peidmonte reds - Dolcetto the best 'sippin' wine, with a fat Barolo good with a steak. Chablis and Sancerre only for white.
Miscellaneous: love a cocktail, and keep a healthy selection of 'digestivos' handy for a post-prandial skelp.

I think I probably qualify as a lush.

Last edited:
As your would expect grasshoppers suggestions are appalling

Italian reds are too acidic and Barolo is too overblown in strength. Chablis and Sancerre are great wines but far far better value are equivalents from the burgundy and Loire regions. You often pay just for the name

I avoid too high strength wines and nt keen on Shiraz or Pinot noir

Loire reds (hugely underrated)
Claret
South African whites (most elegant of new world)
Spanish Albariño
Austrian whites
White burgundy

Drink a little more white than red

Italian reds are too acidic and Barolo is too overblown in strength. Chablis and Sancerre are great wines but far far better value are equivalents from the burgundy and Loire regions.

Precisely why I defined the Piedmonte region alone. The Dolcetto is as smooth as silk, by the way.

Give me some white options from Burgundy and the Loire then - I'm happy to do the required research after that.

Yeah I know. I must try them.

Will look up some. Do you have a majestic near you?

Or is it bargain booze?

I do recall that m&s do a superb Chablis for around £12

Last edited:

Italian reds are too acidic and Barolo is too overblown in strength. Chablis and Sancerre are great wines but far far better value are equivalents from the burgundy and Loire regions. You often pay just for the name

I avoid too high strength wines and nt keen on Shiraz or Pinot noir

Loire reds (hugely underrated)
Claret
South African whites (most elegant of new world)
Spanish Albariño
Austrian whites
White burgundy

Drink a little more white than red

This is a British thing - they are fine in terms of price here. I went to Sancerre last summer, beautiful place, incredible wines, and so, so cheap.

Yes but the other side of the coin is that in France you do not easily find wines from around the world.

Sancerre isn't always expensive but can be a bit thin at the cheaper end

Back