Great Weekend In Dublin - GWID 2013

Grey

Senior Jockey
After last year's success, Leopardstown's Irish Champion Hurdle meeting is once again a two-day affair, on 26 and 27 January, and provides a nice opportunity for the next Great Weekend In Dublin, a chance for old and new friends to meet, and for some who have repeatedly threatened to make it to finally show up.

The other Grade One apart from the big one is the Irish Arkle novice chase. There is also a Grade Two novice chase and novice hurdle, and two big handicaps, the Leopardstown Chase and the Sweeps/Ladbroke/Pierce/MCR Hurdle.

Dublin will be cheap to get to because there are no other big events that weekend and Bewleys Hotel, ten minutes walk from the grandstands, is putting on special deals that include admission to the races. There is a direct Aircoach service from the airport.

The idea for Saturday would be for locals and visitors alike to meet up at the races, and afterwards go for a few drinks and a meal somewhere convenient to the racecourse. A foray into town after that is not excluded.

Anyone interested?

Ah you're killing me Grey!! Cant remember where I was last year, but couldnt make it. In Australia now! DEFINITELY next year.......IF Del Boy doesn't manage to ensure that all Talking Horses forumites are banned from Leopardstown....again!

After having so many nights away recently that my memory foam matress doesn't recognise me or else she has moved in someone else :eek:

Pulled up after a circuit last year but re-emerged to stay on at the end....I'll be doing my best to make it.

Kanturk RFC are hosting Tullamore in the All Ireland Junior Cup Semi Final on the 26th at 2.30 pm so I cant make this one much as I would like to........ enjoy the weekend in Dublin

Dublin Racing Club have a balcony level box at Leopardstown on the Saturday, for which they are offering tickets at €20. This is extremely good value, because it's the same as or even less than the normal admission price to the general enclosure and the view from up in that part of the stand is excellent.

Cantoris might be able to organise a few tickets for us, so let him know if you want one.

So far we have three or four definites and several maybes from here, plus a few of the Winning Ways crew.

That's a pity, Miesque, but I have to agree the forum stallions are probably best avoided.

Meanwhile irishracing.com reports:

The Arkle Chase scheduled to be held at Leopardstown on Sunday has been transferred to Saturday's card as part of a revision of the program for this weekend's two-day meeting.

The changes are being made due to the adverse weather forecasts and concerns about the chase course.
The Ryan's Event Cleaners Beginners Chase has been transferred from the Saturday card to Sunday.
The Solerina Mares Novice Hurdle (Listed), which was due to be held at Fairyhouse last Sunday, will now be held at Leopardstown on Sunday.
Fresh entries for this race will close at noon on Wednesday.
Leopardstown chief executive Pat Keogh said: "We have made this decision early to give as much time as possible to owners and trainers to make their arrangements.
"The decision was made to ensure that we were able to run the Frank Ward Solicitors Arkle Novice Chase over the weekend. "With all the uncertainty over the weather we have decided to err on the side of caution."

Last edited:
That is very good planning by Leopardstown. I was just looking at the weather forecast, and it is pretty horrible over the weekend.

I am a definite non-runner on Sunday, but I am toying with the idea of a trip to the races on Saturday. Doubtful, but I am still locked in intense negotiations.

Back