Greatest Xmas tv programme ever

clivex

Banned member
The vote was the Office part 2 Xmas special. Apparently.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/cel...these-the-best-Christmas-TV-moments-ever.html

I think that is total rubbish.

it was the greatest hour on tv ever. The scene between tim and dawn when they believe they are saying goodbye is perfection. Beautiful tv perfectly realised. quite a stunningly executed piece of work.The turning of Neil's character was a master stroke too. But of course the final scene was ...well

it was the perfect finale to what was a true masterpiece of television.

Last edited:
My favourite Tv comedy series,The pub quiz scene in the first series is brilliant.
Closely followed by Im Alan Partridge/Knowing me Knowing you.

A generational thing much like the Frasier/Friends comparison a few years ago. I found The Office about as amusing as piles and the top Christmas shows are self evidently Morecambe & Wise and The Two Ronnies.

well i'm 58 and i found Two ronnies about as funny as a pebble in the shoe..but loved the office..so not sure its generational..just personal preference really

I have to say Archie I would rather have root canal than watch the two ronnies. But anyway..

fonz. I think the last 20 mins of the Xmas special of the office were sublime. Remember the interview with tim? The clear anguish underneath? And wasnt lee so wonderfully played? we all know a lee.

The moment she walked in and the Camera lost focus was a few million going oh my god at the same time. It was one moment when I was genuinely speechless.

But the Alan partridge Xmas special was fantastic . Big fan

As it happens, the Morecambe & Wise/Andre Previn sequence is as good as you'll get - "I'm playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order".

I thought you were going to nominate bob hope in white Christmas Archie. When you saw it on it's first run

Last edited:
that Morecambe+Wise stuff me Dad were into it..my generation was initially Goons + Jimmy Clitheroe on the radio..then on the TV a few years later Monty Python

how old are you Archie?

Actual 66, feel 666 :ninja:

I'm of the generation where "I'm Sorry" is followed by "I'll Read That Again" rather than "I Haven't A Clue".

Last edited:
You are definitely right about a personal thing, can't abide Morecambe and Wise, The Two Ronnies and Monty Python, as the saying goes one mans meat is another man's poison.
The Office was like watching a car crash so couldn't really find that funny.
Must admit I love the Only Fools and Horses trilogy xmas specials from 1996 I think, can watch them over and over again.

Last edited:
I like Dads Army. Must admit I could take or leave only fools. Mostly left it. I could see why it was popular though.

royle family was truly a great series followed up by dreadful Xmas "specials".

royle family yes..very good..but somehow the specials completely miss the spot agree..strange

what about Red Dwarf?..kept me laughing through lots of series..got better the longer it went on..found it really funny

what about Red Dwarf?..kept me laughing through lots of series..got better the longer it went on..found it really funny
Very imaginative if not necessarily Christmassy. Little details like the cat spraying 'possessions' with an aerosol plus all the implications of time travel. Just intelligent humour without the embarrassment factor.

Last edited:
Looking at all of those It has to be Fools and Horses for me. Genuinely funny, although it lost the plot right at the end. Men Behaving Badly was pretty funny too. I didn't ming The Royle Family specials either tbh.

Morecombe and Wise was the classic from my formative years.

Its a reminder that TV lacks a really funny sitcom right now, and has done for some time.

Red Dwarf.I loved it when Cat was licking his clothes and said 'I'm doing my laundry'. Following on from that I liked Hyperdrive but I think I must be the only person who watched it [not Christmassy though]. Recently I've enjoyed Bad Education.

Back