Greg Wood on the triple crown

Hamm

At the Start
Time to put a new slant on an outdated Triple Crown

The Triple Crown of the 2,000 Guineas, Derby and St Ledger is dead – it's time to establish a new benchmark of achievement
Sea The Stars on his way to victory in the Derby. Photograph: John Gichigi/Getty Images

Mick Kinane had barely pulled up Sea The Stars after the Derby on Saturday before the thoughts of some racegoers turned to the Triple Crown. It was inevitable, of course, not least in a week that saw the passing of Vincent O'Brien, the last trainer to saddle a Triple Crown winner back in 1970.
But it was, in its way, rather depressing too, because even in a sport that is as bound up with heritage and tradition as racing, there should come a time when you simply let go.
It is not that there is anything wrong with the concept of a Triple Crown – far from it. It is precisely the kind of straightforward concept that the general sporting public enjoys. The Triple Crown of the 2,000 Guineas, Derby and St Leger is dead, not simply as a result of "fashion", as traditionalists like to insist, but for a whole host of irreversible reasons, both practical and commercial.
Triple Crown winners have always been a rarity, even in the distant past when it really mattered, but the problem these days is that it is not simply all but unwinnable, due to the lack of suitably bred horses, it is not worth winning either. As far as the bloodstock markets are concerned, Leger winner equals plodder, no matter what it has done before, and after 30 years, it is daft to dismiss this as just a passing fad.
The brutal truth is that if Sea The Stars actually lined up for the Leger in September, an excusable, non-staying defeat would probably do less damage to his value as a stallion prospect than outright victory. And that is before you consider what the experience might do to him both physically and mentally when much more valuable alternatives like the Arc and Breeders' Cup are just a few weeks away.
The result of this inevitable trend, though, is that a very useful concept in terms of marketing racing to the masses is slipping from the sporting public's consciousness. The idea remains a potent one in America – despite a wait for a winner that has now reached a record 32 years – and there is no reason to think it could not be meaningful in Britain again too, given enough of a marketing push.
But it will never happen if the Leger is involved. Sad, perhaps, but true. So what are the alternatives if the sport wants to establish a new benchmark of achievement for a (relatively) new millennium?
To be a true measure of versatility as well as talent, a three-race series would need to be staged over three different distances. That rules out the King George at Ascot as stage three after the Guineas and Derby, and means that a 10-furlong event is the only viable option.
And, since a 10-furlong Grade One victory increases a Derby winner's marketability no end, this is ideal anyway. There are three obvious candidates in the Eclipse Stakes, which has a rich history in its own right, the International at York and, to acknowledge the fact that racing is an international business these days, the Irish Champion Stakes, which is run around the same time as the Leger.
All three are all-aged races, which runs against the idea of a series restricted to three-year-olds, but you can't have everything. Completing a new-model Triple Crown against older horses would also add to the sense of achievement.
The Eclipse is probably the most credible choice, if only in terms of its timing with regard to Epsom. A Guineas-Derby-Eclipse Triple Crown even has a recent "winner" in Nashwan. One thing is certain, though. The old Triple Crown is defunct, and racing needs to let go and move on.

The excitement that is generated in America when there is a possibility of a triple crown winner makes you think he has a very valid point.

Again, it's things like this and the complaints made by RUK re trainers/jockeys and interviews that could improve racing, and how it interfaces with the general public.

Doing the Guineas-Derby-Eclipse treble would be very notable, but I'm not sure it has that special something about it.

Much of the difficulty of the US Triple Crown is the distance of the last leg. The very short period of time between races, also, but I'm not sure that's something to be replicated.

Having the last-leg an all-aged affair does give it a nice angle though, in that it might help avoid it being won by a merely very good 3yo cantering over a particularly bad crop.

How about creating one for older horses along the same lines:

- Lockinge
- Coronation Cup
- Eclipse \ Juddmonte \ Irish Champion (whichever applies)

so that the potential winners of the older and 3yo "triple crown" clash? Wasn't there something similar for older horses introduced a few years ago?

Using the Lockinge and the Coronation cup for this purpose would serve to get some of the better older horses out of their stables, both are generally poorly supported affairs for all-aged group ones.

There was something similar, but whilst the bonus prize money was more than decent, it was horribly convoluted:

Winners of the Derby, the Oaks and the Coronation Cup - all run at Epsom in early June - and the Prince of Wales's Stakes - staged at Royal Ascot a fortnight later - would qualify for the Summer Triple Crown and Grand Slam.

If one of those winners then went on to land the Eclipse Stakes - at Sandown in early July - and the King George VI & Queen Elizabeth Stakes - the mid-season, middle-distance championship staged at Ascot three weeks later - it would win the Summer Triple Crown and a bonus of £1 million.

The Grand Slam would be completed if the same horse went on to win the International Stakes, at York in August, thereby earning an extra £4 million bonus - the highest in the world for a racehorse.

Doing the Guineas-Derby-Eclipse treble would be very notable, but I'm not sure it has that special something about it.

Much of the difficulty of the US Triple Crown is the distance of the last leg. The very short period of time between races, also, but I'm not sure that's something to be replicated.

Having the last-leg an all-aged affair does give it a nice angle though, in that it might help avoid it being won by a merely very good 3yo cantering over a particularly bad crop.

The idea of a triple crown is for the Classic generation – i.e. the three-year-olds. When you start calling 'all-age' races classics, e.g. the Irish St Leger, it becomes meaningless.

The triple crown is meant to be difficult. I like the fact that Nijinsky was the last to win the colts version and Oh So Sharp the fillies version.

If we had winners every other year a triple crown winner would become typical and ordinary.

As it stands our triple crown is the greatest test of young thoroughbred’s ability and resolve. Leave it as it is. If they are not good enough to achieve it that’s that.

What might be an idea though is not to have two-year-old (as they are still growing and the bones still forming) racing at all and run the classics when they are four (when the thoroughbred is closer to its peak)… the breeding industry would not stomach this, however, and it would become more expensive for owners to keep them an extra season before racing.

The idea of a triple crown is for the Classic generation – i.e. the three-year-olds. When you start calling 'all-age' races classics, e.g. the Irish St Leger, it becomes meaningless.

The triple crown is meant to be difficult. I like the fact that Nijinsky was the last to win the colts version and Oh So Sharp the fillies version.

If we had winners every other year a triple crown winner would become typical and ordinary.

As it stands our triple crown is the greatest test of young thoroughbred’s ability and resolve. Leave it as it is. If they are not good enough to achieve it that’s that.

What might be an idea though is not to have two-year-old (as they are still growing and the bones still forming) racing at all and run the classics when they are four (when the thoroughbred is closer to its peak)… the breeding industry would not stomach this, however, and it would become more expensive for owners to keep them an extra season before racing.

I agree entirely and as the French now seem to be clamouring for the return of the Jockey Club to 12f as the Jockey Club has now simply become the Lupin or a trial for the Grand Pris de Paris Mr Wood's comments seem a bit out of date . Especially when one considers the pre-eminence of middle distance sires in Europe at present.

The summer triple crown beloved of Peter Savill was the dampest of damp squibs .

Perhaps the answer lies in the European pattern, and establishing a European Triple Crown which would mean getting the French Derby shifted by 3 or 4 weeks. To make it inclusive though the Irish would need bringing on side which means that their Guineas would have to supplant Newmarket.....

nah it's a daft idea, will never happen.

You'd have to go

Irish Guineas
Prix Jockey Club
and Derby

but there's not a cat in hells chance of Newmarket running with it. I suspect trainers would rather go,

English Guineas
Prix Jockey Club
Irish Derby

As has often been lamented, Epsom despite its uniqueness wouldn't be a track of choice.

Last edited:
I agree entirely and as the French now seem to be clamouring for the return of the Jockey Club to 12f as the Jockey Club has now simply become the Lupin or a trial for the Grand Pris de Paris Mr Wood's comments seem a bit out of date . Especially when one considers the pre-eminence of middle distance sires in Europe at present.

The summer triple crown beloved of Peter Savill was the dampest of damp squibs .

Well Greg Wood looks in on these pages Ardross, and I'm sure if the mood takes him he'd be very welcome to expand on his thoughts

I remember suggesting on here a while back a Derby/Irish Derby/GP de Paris Triple Crown that the BHA, HRI and France Galop could come together on and offer ridiculous prize money for.

Create a new pan-Europe 'Champions' race for 3-yo horses & fillies?
Revolve the running between Eire, France & GB.

I do like SteveM's idea of not racing until 3 years of age.
However, too many vested interests to allow it to happen, even though it could(?) be beneficial to the horses' well-being ... and might actually produce a much better flat calendar(?)

The whole point of the US Triple crown is that it only takes about 6 weeks to achieve as Gareth says - to be comparable, we'd have to stick in a 10f race in between the Guineas and The Derby, would we not? The time frame is too short for European horses racing on turf, which is of course why it is so very rarely achieved.

To be realistic, we'd need a series of three races with more time in between, which would mean shifting The Derby to insert a 10f race in the middle and somehow I don't see that happening!!

I like the St Leger but realistically nowadays no Guineas/Derby winner is likely to attempt it purely because it wouldn't enhance his commercial value. It's too close to The Arc and the prestige of winning that race far outweighs winning the Leger, sadly.

I remember suggesting on here a while back a Derby/Irish Derby/GP de Paris Triple Crown that the BHA, HRI and France Galop could come together on and offer ridiculous prize money for.

In my opinion, this would be the way to go. All three races would attract the cream of European three year old colts.

To chroniclandlord:

Only if the French agree to the Irish Derby going last!

Last edited:
In my opinion, this would be the way to go. All three races would attract the cream of European three year old colts.

Why ? All three races are over the same distance. Surely the whole point of a triple crown or series is that it demonstrates the ultimate versatility of a thoroughbred able to win over a variety of distances, so demonstrating inate speed and stamina - a rare combination.

Don't see that happening Grey - particularly with them having the GPD Paris on Bastille Day, slim chance of them moving that at any point.

Derby - 1st Saturday in June
Irish Derby - last Saturday in June
GPD Paris - 14/7 Bastille Day

Back