Group 1 World Record Attempt

Guest_

At the Start
I wish the press would learn that the Juvenile Turf (both colts and fillys) are not Group 1/Grade 1 events so even winning both will not help O'Brien reach or surpass the record.

Looks out of his grasp now.

The idea of him doing it was largely based on the assumption that he'd do better in the 2yo races. They sent Bushranger the wrong way!

He was odds on and every one seemed to be talking in terms of its inevitably. I remember looking at it and thinking that I was far from sure that the book was right. I was reasonably confident that his 2yo's were indicating that they were a modest bunch, and the absence of sprinters would take out another entire division. But the certainty that seemed to surround the bid prevented me from doing anything about as I figured it was more likely I that was out of kilter.

For Aiden to pull this off he needs to have at least 3 but more probably about 4 horses to stay fit and be capable of multiple Gp1 wins throughout the season, and when I say multiple you must mean about at least 4 each. Henry and Duke have served him admirably and Halfway to Heaven has been something of a revelation. I suppose he needed to squeeze a little bit more out of Soldier, Yeats and Mount Nelson, but ultimately it's difficult to argue with Gareths assertion that the 2yo's let him down

Last edited:
When does the "season" end? Do races like the Honk Kong events and the Japan Cup count? Maybe he will send something to those events?

It's the calendar year that counts, but his best horses seem to have gone over the top and the greater part of the juveniles are not being rushed.

A quiet introduction followed up by a win in maiden company seems to be the main ambition for most of them this year and there are batteries of them still waiting for a run.

Surprised to see Yeats running on Sunday at Longchamp.

Looks like AOB is not giving up on the record at this stage.

He has 3 in the RP Trophy as well so fingers crossed he gets a step nearer tomorrow!

There must be some sub standard Group 1s around Europe left surely? The Criterium De St Cloud, Criterium International are still to come in France, the Premio Roma and Lydia Tesio in Italy, plus all the Breeders Cup, and the HK and Japanese races. I really hope he does it as its been a great season and even with his mastery difficuly to see AOB getting in the position to do it again for a long time if ever. After all surely Godolphin won't let Ballydoyle have it all there own way for ever.

Has O'Brien ever said anything about attacking the record? I was under the impression that he wasn't necessarily being driven by it, and it's difficult to think that whole Ballydoyle/ Coolmore operation will be campaigned for the trainers vainglorious world record attempt. It's certainly the impression I'd framed at least, as I've kind of picked up that if the record is broken, then thats all well and good, but it wasn't directing entries and race plans etc

I'll conceed that he's being driven by a world record attempt when Istabraq gets an entry in the Xmas hurdle

Correct Warbler, he has gone on record as saying such. However one lives in hope that the sporting side of Messrs Magner, Tabor and Smith surfaces and authorises a wholesale bid for glory and immortality over the next 9 weeks.

"However one lives in hope that the sporting side of Messrs Magner, Tabor and Smith surfaces and authorises a wholesale bid for glory and immortality over the next 9 weeks."

Just a touch OTT don't you think, numbersix.................."immortality"?!?!?!

Great, confident ride by Johnny. I thought Yeats looked his old self beforehand, he was getting impatient and swishing the tail again. Ground really looked against him though - but he was brave. I think he won well considering the ground and that he is not usually at his best this time of year either.

I love him! :D

That's great news!

I think AOB's tactics (inc the judicious use of the pacemaker today) is the thing to praise here - both jockeys surely did precisely what they were told to do? - the other jockeys on the other hand all need horse-whipping for letting the two of them get away like that!

I backed Yeats shortly after the off and made quite a bit. Lovely horse, long may he race - he did seem to be playing with them and enjoying himself didn't he?

Anyone see Kahuna today. He won it at the start.The race was over after 2 furlongs. The only ones who didn't realise it where the jocks.

Anyone see Kahuna today. He won it at the start.The race was over after 2 furlongs. The only ones who didn't realise it where the jocks.

Yep, they were asleep. Great ride on the winner, was funny the way he kept looking round about 4 or 5 furlongs out - he clearly couldn't believe just how far they had let him get clear.

Missed Yeats yesterday, pity as it sounds as if it was a great performance.

Yeats' victory was a joy to watch and if he does stay in training I will have to get my ass in gear and go to see him in the flesh. But I almost fell off my chair when I saw the SP - that really was the E/W value bet of the millenium that got away:mad:

As for my "immortality" comments - one of the things I like most about the sport is witnessing the greats doing things that will take a monumental feat to be equalled. So the fact it is AOB is irrelevant, in response to the poster who asked. But it is little surprise that AOB is doing the business as imo he is a genius. People must remember that you can give someone the ammunition but they don't always know how to fire the gun properly. When MVOB was winding down his son Charles was in the frame to take over. But even though he had the perfect "breeding" on paper, he just couldn't do it. AOB is a rare talent and I believe this record would be a fitting testament to his ability.

Also, usually when a record is so close, often if it is not claimed it takes a hell of a long time for anyone to challenge again. I remember when it became obvious Best Mate's conenctions were going to try and emulate Arkle in the Gold Cup I vowed to follow him in the flesh just in case he did succeed and I could go to sleep at night saying "I was there".

Not a "record" worth bothering about or even thinking about. I sense it hasnt bothered AOB in the slighest because its not what motivates him. And a good thing too. They will do well to come so close next year too
When MVOB was winding down his son Charles was in the frame to take over. But even though he had the perfect "breeding" on paper, he just couldn't do it. AOB is a rare talent and I believe this record would be a fitting testament to his ability

And David Pipe has taken over and arguably improved (in many areas at least), his "genius" fathers stable. Its boring old management ability, hard work and commitment (which AOB has in spades) that are the most likely deciding factors rather than anything else

I agree that David Pipe is doing rather well. Mind you, his dad is still playing an active role in the stable.

By the way David O'Brien, MV's other son, was an excellent trainer until he decided, to great surprise, that the pressure was too much and jacked it in.

Back