Guinnes Kerry National

• Thread starter Thread starter Gearoid
  • Start date Start date
G

Gearoid

This has been priced up the last couple of days. It's on the 14th September. Can anyone remind me why I was so against Adams Island at Cheltenham? He looked the exact type for a tilt at Nationals this year and this race would be a perfect starter. I know good ground is not ideal and maybe three miles is the bare minimum the horse needs. Is there question marks over it's jumping? I really need to dust down my hedge jumping formbook.

I thought I was had a big negative against him at Cheltenhan alright. Assuming they have brushed up on that department he is well handicaped but at 14/1 the risk reward is a minimal. What about Muirhead?

Looking at the usual stats for the race I found that Bideford Legend ticks every box, trip, course, age, OR etc, joint fav so not a surprise but came up some way ahead of the rest.

Gonebeyondrecall at a bigger price is another that really interests me at this stage, just the trip that worries me a little - others that make my stats short-list are Dr Whizz, Norther Bay & Sarteano.

Love this race.

Adams Island is very hard to win with, Gearoid - he's a bit of a 'nearly' merchant. He also has a touch of the not-particularly-wanting-to-go-through-with-it about him, imo.

Gonebeyondrecall drops occassional hints that he might finally develop into the kind of horse promised by his bumper runs, but he never seems to get the job done. I gave up on him a long time ago, but he still seems to generate a lot of market interest in these good handicaps. He could run well, but he's a bit too larcenous for me.

Like Jakers, I think the general 8/1 about Bideford Legend is perfectly fair.

Unlike a lot of these, he remains unexposed (and I'd say progressive) over fences, and I reckon the trainer has handled the horse's chase mark with customary legerdemain.

Trip should be fine, ground should be fine, weight-carried should be fine (even if the top two come out), fitness should be a given after a couple of hurdles outings over the summer, and the yard is in handy enough form. I'd be reasonably confident of a decent run.

I should add that I have an absolutely atrocious record in this race. :ninja:

Last edited:
I know what you mean about Gonebeyondrecall Grassy, though I dont have the burnt fingers, they tried to be too clever with his handicap mark last year and missed out on the race, he ran in the 2m3f chase instead and won easily, looks like they have got it right this year and with the recent effort around Bellewstown he should be spot on...

Like Jakers, I think the general 8/1 about Bideford Legend is perfectly fair.

Unlike a lot of these, he remains unexposed (and I'd say progressive) over fences, and I reckon the trainer has handled the horse's chase mark with customary legerdemain.

Trainer now saying he is not quite sure about the trip and that the horse would prefer faster ground but that he has won on soft and the ground is drying out.

Anyone close enough to the track to give a pointer re weather and likely going?

What chance of the any of the reserves running? Might have an ew on Glenstal Abbey if he ran.

Place lay landed after 20 seconds.

Yep. Done just enough to cover the losses on Bideford Legend. :cool:

Was the jolly given a bit much too do today? He was ridden very confidently until three out, but in minds eye, Alpha Beat was up to full tilt by then, and not looking like stopping.

Maybe not. I'm not convinced the result would necessarily have been different if BL had been ridden closer to the pace.

Still; better than the usual train-wreck I have in this race.

No. Once Alpha Beat took a few lengths out of them turning in it was all over. He was never going to be stopping over 3 miles.

No. Once Alpha Beat took a few lengths out of them turning in it was all over. He was never going to be stopping over 3 miles.

That's kind of my point, Gearoid. Bideford Legend stayed the trip every bit as well as the winner. Ridden a bit closer to the pace, he might have been within a couple of lengths turning in, rather than finding himself having to make up a half-dozen lengths :cool:

Last edited:
Back