Hanagan to take over from Dickie Hills.

good job for Hannagan

De Sousa second jockey to godolphin

wondering when Coolmore will announce they have signed Ryan Moore

and how long Buick will continue as Gosden jockey

I really hope it works out for him and I hope Shadwell have a nice pipeline of horses for him to ride. I think he's a good enough jock and a thoroughly decent guy. He can ease back from flogging himself round the gaff tracks to be champion now, without any loss in profile or income.

With both the SDS and Hannagan announcements opening up the flat jockey’s championship, could 2012 be the year of the Hughes??

Last edited:
Fahey's not appointing anyone. He'll be using his current jockeys (Lee Topliss, Tony Hamilton, Barry McHugh and Frederik Tylicki) as well as Hanagan when available.

Not sure about Johnston but I imagine Joe Fanning will get the bulk of the rides, plus Johnston's always liked Neil Callan who is now a free agent.

Would love to see Hughsie win the championship now Hanganan and De Sousa are all but out of the running.

Huge boost to Paul's career....quite shocked really I would have had my money on a southerner.

Fahey's not appointing anyone. He'll be using his current jockeys (Lee Topliss, Tony Hamilton, Barry McHugh and Frederik Tylicki) as well as Hanagan when available.

Not sure about Johnston but I imagine Joe Fanning will get the bulk of the rides, plus Johnston's always liked Neil Callan who is now a free agent.

Really ? The arrangement with Varian did not last long then ?

Hanagan is a vast improvement on Hills and I suspect he is ideal for a Maktoum jockey as all the Maktoums like to tell their jockeys how to ride the horses as does AOB .

I suspect Hughes would have won the jockeys' championship last year but for the ban and the totting up thing hanging over him in the summer . He was almost close enough to make a late challenge when the whip ban hoo hah stymied that . Hannon apparently has an enormous string this year and it may well be his best chance especially as Moore is clearly not arsed about racing round the country for rides .

Last edited:
I feel a little ashamed thinking about the flat season 2 weeks before Cheltenham, but 4/1 Hughes with Ladbrokes looks decent value. I reckon it’s a decent bet & will also provide an interest throughout the season

De Sousa quoted as saying he was offered the Hamdan job.... Which would you have chosen? Second string Godolphin or the Hamdan gig? I'm not convinced De Sousa is guaranteed Dettori's job when he hangs up his boots either with Barzalona knocking about. I'll be interested to see where he ends up - He would probably drive AOB mad and you would think he must be viewed as Dettori's long term replacement?

At least they've moved on the camel man.

Ajtebi the camel man? Probably not - I think he will still be working for them but just not getting so many rides.

Hughes supposedly has picked up a big ban in India and will miss the first month of the season if that will have much bearing on the title challenge.

A massive ban for not riding to instructions ! He is appealing but in any event I think he has a good chance of getting the BHA to refuse to reciprocate the ban as that is not an offence in the UK and because it is in any event grossly disproportionate

Last edited:
He has been banned again.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/feb/24/richard-hughes-reportedly-ban-india

The way I read it, he is definitely out for 19 days.

It depends whether it is racing days in the UK, or days in which racing is on in India.

So either March 11 to 29 or so, which would leave him free for the start of the championship season, or

19 days from March 11 to April 29, which would probably see him miss around 10 days at the start of the season.

Last edited:
Back