Harsh Handicapping

Solwhit

Raised 14 to 141 for winning a conditions event fairyhouse sat.

Sizing europe won aig off 143.

What next for byrne's horse??

He won the leopardstown nov hcap like al eile.

Speed figures are rather one dimensional if used as the sole way of measuring performance given that they are totally reliant on the pace of the race. Any form handicapper, be it official or commercial (or private for that matter) would be guilty of a gross negligence of duty by rating Straw Bear in the 80's.

Speed Ratings rate a horse 0 - 130, 130 is top, its not a guide to an official rating. It determines certain aspects.

My figures brought Straw Bear out 20lb inferrior to Pasco, and all of SB's figures have been similar, Pasco ran a career worse at Exeter, it rated lower than his Cheltenham flop.

Mine are also performance ratings, not just speed, it totals certain factors, the timing of the race isn't that important on them, buts good at identifying well handicapped horses, off level weights it would grade Straw Bear a Max Lay against Pasco.

Last edited:
Speed figures are rather one dimensional if used as the sole way of measuring performance given that they are totally reliant on the pace of the race. Any form handicapper, be it official or commercial (or private for that matter) would be guilty of a gross negligence of duty by rating Straw Bear in the 80's.

I never have, except once over hurdles. However, the scales for speed ratings and handicapping are different and not really comparable. The nearest that I have come across is Warbler's method, where, from what I can make out, he seems to combine time, weight and distance.

As you say, speed ratings depend on the pace of a race and therefore should never be followed blindly. They should be used in conjunction with other factors. A rating of 80+ for me merely indicates a horse worth noting next time out, either in the same company or stepped up to the class above.

I use them merely as an indicator of ability in conjunction with other factors.

Handicapping or speed rating would appear to be a matter of personal choice and interpretation. Either way, DJ, they work for me. I had 15 winners at the Festival last year and average about 8 or 9 most years, so I'm doing something right!

Back