Have A Race Named After You

Grey

Senior Jockey
Have a race named after you

How do you like the idea of a race being named after you or your company?
see more ›
Navan Racecourse is giving you the opportunity to sponsor a race, to present the prizes and to entertain 10 guests in style.

Your package includes:
  • Race Title (covered in National / Local Media) and Live on At The Races
  • Race Card Advertisement Table of 10 for Corporate Hospitality (to include admission & race cards)
  • On course Signage as agreed
  • Race Value €12,500
  • Saturday December 20th approx race time 12.15
  • Trophy Presentation
  • Place a bid on this item to support cancer research.
hide ›

I would like to draw your attention to the above item which is being auctioned on line at present.

http://www.winterlightball.ie/auction.cfm

Perhaps you know some people who might be interested, it's for a good cause.

Or perhaps some on here would consider making a joint bid and name the race after the forum? It's usually a decent card that day and it offers a refuge from the madness of Christmas shopping.

If we can get ten people prepared to offer €50 per head I will match those amounts, which might give us a decent shout of winning the auction.

Please contact me by PM if you're interested. It's about time some of us met up and this provides a fine excuse!

I did it the other week,about an hour on the bus to Navan and then a couple of miles to the course from the town centre.

Good question. I had assumed it would close on Nov 8th, the date of the ball, but I'll find out.

There has been a very good response from forumites so far. We're well on our way to putting in a four figure bid.

I think it's a good idea. I have a feeling it will go for a decent amount. It includes corporate lunch and admission for 10 which would be worth around €750, race spnsorship which is prob another €2-3k etc etc so reckon it will go for a few grand given the cause. I'd be happy for Winning Ways to support this is some way shape or form but just don't know how exactly it would work. but open to suggestions.

When does the auction close ?
looks a few good things up for grabs on that page.

Yes, good stuff on there...

I've still got Gabriel Byrne's bath towel! He rented my flat in London for a few weeks in 1981, and took the wrong towel. Lovely feller, shame he was married :D

Hope you all get the funds to secure the race, it will be fun to watch on atr!

Good question. I had assumed it would close on Nov 8th, the date of the ball, but I'll find out.
I'm told the organisers don't want to be too specific about the closing date for the on-line auction in order to avoid what happens on e-bay, where most of the bids come in just before the deadline. My best guess is that they'll let it run for a day or two beyond the ball itself.

I think it's a good idea. I have a feeling it will go for a decent amount. It includes corporate lunch and admission for 10 which would be worth around €750, race sponsorship which is prob another €2-3k etc etc so reckon it will go for a few grand given the cause.
So much the better for the cause if it does, even if we are priced out of it.

I'd be happy for Winning Ways to support this is some way shape or form but just don't know how exactly it would work. but open to suggestions.

I suppose the first thing is to spread the word to other people who might want to put in a bid of their own, especially if they are the sort of people for whom it is worth their while to offer a full commercial rate. Meanwhile we need a few more people to back a bid that will at least put a four figure amount on the table.

The latest bid submitted is for €1300. This is a joint bid between ourselves and Winning Ways, thanks to Cantoris. If successful we will call the race Friends of Talking Horses And Winning Ways, or some such.

There have already been some very generous offers of support. Anyone else wishing to support the bid is more than welcome. The simplest thing to do is send me or Cantoris a PM.

Bidding is now at €2,500, which is beyond our reach. Many thanks to those who supported our bid, it might have been fun if we had been successful.

Anyone interested in making a donation to the cause can follow the link.

http://www.winterlightball.ie

Fairyhouse Racecourse is selling the sponsorship of a race at the 2008 Winter Festival (29th & 30th November) on the auction website Ebay.

The 2 mile, 3 year-old Juvenile Hurdle is the first race on the card on Sunday 30th November. Sponsorship of the race is on the market for an opening bid of €49.99. Bidding will finish on the Monday 24th November at 19.43 (6 days and 8 hours left!).

The successful bid will be allowed name the race, will present the trophy to the winning connections and will receive 10 entrance tickets to racing on the day. The race name appears in all national newspapers including industry papers such as the Racing Post and the Irish Field and will be shown live on At The Races.

Commenting on the new sponsorship approach Amber Byrne, Sales and Marketing Manager at Fairyhouse Racecourse said “This is a new initiative for Fairyhouse Racecourse; we hope that by selling a race sponsorship on Ebay it will broaden race sponsorship appeal. It is open to anyone apart from bookmakers as it will conflict with our feature sponsors Bar One Racing. The race could go to a company or to someone looking for a novel way to propose or wish a family member happy birthday. It is a bit of fun but will hopefully serve its purpose and attract a new sponsorship audience to Fairyhouse.

There is a perception that racecourse sponsorship is very expensive but in fact it is an extremely cost effect form of marketing for any company. In tough economic times race sponsorship ticks all the marketing campaign boxes and works within the tightest of budgets.”

The Fairyhouse Winter Festival takes place on the 29th and 30th November 2008. This two day festival features three Grade One Races and some of the best National Hunt racing in the country. For more information on tickets, hospitality and race course details visit www.fairyhouseracecourse.ie or call 01 625 6167.

The direct link to the sponsorship on Ebay is http://shop.ebay.ie/items/?_nkw=Race+sponsorship&_sacat=0&_fromfsb=&_trksid=m270.l1313&_odkw=Fairyhouse+Racecourse&_osacat=0

… ENDS …

For more information contact Amber Byrne on abyrne@fairyhouseracecourse.ie

Tel: 01 825 6167 Mobile: Mobile: 087 9299 648

Have they left it a bit late? There's less than a week between close of bidding and start of race.

And the race is already named!! According to irish racing dot com it is the Dunshaughlin Fine Gael hurdle!!

Back