Have I been hacked?

Desert Orchid

Senior Jockey
I reckon something has got past my security.

When I open google (not my home page) to search for something all I get are ads telling me about critical errors and such like, even though I've got adblock plus installed (or thought I had but it's not showing on my taskbar and when I try to instal it it's just giving me all these ads).

Any ideas how I can sort it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

You probably haven't - I assume you have some sort of virus protection program

Clear out your cache and cookies

• Open Chrome.
  • On your browser toolbar, tap More .
  • Tap History, and then tap Clear browsing data.
  • Under "Clear browsing data," select the checkboxes for Cookies and site data and Cached images and files.
  • Use the menu at the top to select the amount of data that you want to delete. ...
  • Tap Clear browsing data.

Thanks, Granger. Before I do that, will that clear all my saved passwords and other login details for my regular sites?

Thanks too Ali. Again, before I do that, will it conflict with my existing security (Microsoft Security Essentials)?

Shouldn't do, but Malwarebytes is better anyway, hence why you've been able to download the adware in the first place

Downloaded Malwarebytes and ran scan but it seems to be stalling. The number of objects scanned hasn't budged in over 10 minutes.

Also (ans this was happening earlier and prompted me to wonder in the first place) when I click on the down/upward scrollbar at the right to see more that's when ads appear and some of them seem not to want to leave, even when I check for it not to appear again.

I'm thinking it might be because I access free live football streams when this kind of thing sometimes happens but I've always assumed I was adequately protected in general and that this was just a nuisance I'd have to put up with for the sake of seeing the football.

Last edited:
The scan eventually ran its course (over 3 hours) and IDd some 'objects' and appears to have got rid of them in the sense that they - so far - are no longer interfering with my browsing. I do notice that the web addresses of those same sites appear in a 'Waiting for...' dialog box at the bottom left of my screen and I reckon that's been happening for long enough but I'd no idea what they referred to.

Hopefully the problem is resolved so thanks guys for your help.

I reckon I'm due a new laptop anyway. This one is now about 7 years old.

Who he?

(No way would Orchidette be able to afford that and I don't imagine Mrs O's Christmas spirit would be so expansive, especially since she found my 'secret' bank account with my betting tank!!! :mad:)

Yes, I might, granger.

The money isn't the issue for me but I do fear the very long losing run. I keep promising myself a Humax but no salesperson has convinced me it will do everything I would want it to do. My brothers and my sister have one and swear by them but they are easily pleased, the souls.

Now I want a TV box that will make my TV 'smart' but I'm not convinced my broadband will stream as fast I'd want. (Anything less than the equivalent of live TV wouldn't be good enough for me).

And I don't really get out often enough to spend time researching and talking to people (I'm the main carer of my 90yo mother-in-law).

And I'm thinking of upsizing cars again after downsizing when I retired. I miss my Jag.

And I want to get into property.

And I haven't been to Spain for months.

There's only so much one can do with available funds.

And I'm thinking of upsizing cars again after downsizing when I retired. I miss my Jag.

Have you thought of investing in a crowbar?

Last edited:
Yes, I might, granger.

The money isn't the issue for me but I do fear the very long losing run. I keep promising myself a Humax but no salesperson has convinced me it will do everything I would want it to do. My brothers and my sister have one and swear by them but they are easily pleased, the souls.

Now I want a TV box that will make my TV 'smart' but I'm not convinced my broadband will stream as fast I'd want. (Anything less than the equivalent of live TV wouldn't be good enough for me).

And I don't really get out often enough to spend time researching and talking to people (I'm the main carer of my 90yo mother-in-law).

And I haven't been to Spain for months.

There's only so much one can do with available funds.

Free to air digital box should cover all your tv needs - no bills after

I have an android box for making my tv smart - fast broadband is definitely an advantage but as good as it can be, if you want live tv without interruption FTA is a much more reliable service

Treat yourself to a nice set of wheels - get to know a trusted mechanic and enjoy driving

Buy a property in Spain - kill 2 birds with the one stone

:lol:

Yes, I might, granger.

I picked up a second hand Humax on ebay for £50. I'm very pleased with it indeed.

What's the picture like on fast forward, simmo?

Can you record to disc?

For all the facilities machines like Humax have, I can never get a straight answer to some of the questions I ask. Even staff at John Lewis, who tend to be more knowledgeable than most, can't tell me.

As for the FF question, my bluray player on fast forward just shows stills - not what I need. What I'm looking for is a picture which is at least a match for the best old VHS recorders where the FF picture is smooth and without visual noise, especially the horizontal type. This is so that I can watch races on FF because I find it gives a better idea of which horse has made its move when. It can be as revealing as sectional times, I think.

The record-to-disc facility is purely personal. I want to keep hard copies of some things that I can stick on the DVD/BR player without having to search through an archive for one item.

I have a Humax as well and its much better than the old Sky box (and cheaper!). The FF etc takes a little getting used to but the stills are quite helpful. I got mine in the JL Clearance Sale in January - marked down from £189 to £99 as the box was opened and they cant sell it on at full price (got a £400 Bosch Fridge Freezer for £200 for same reason!)

Sounds a bit like my year:

Left well paid job with much stress and horrid commute
Took better paid job with less stress and virtually no commute
Sold reliable older car with automatic gearbox
Bought snazzy newer car with manual gears

Started 2016 feeling stuck in a rut
Ending 2016 feeling like positivity ooozing through

Back