Hayley Turner stood down 1year

Aldaniti

At the Start
Sad to hear this on ATR a few minutes ago, obviously had good reason but its got to be gutting for her

Last edited:
Better to be safe than sorry, she's still very young and has plenty of time left and this is only a short set back.

Has this happened to any other jockeys? Only one I can think of is Alan Munro, but that was down to him suffering a seizure.

Absolutely dreadful for Hayley, when she finished the last season on such a high and had kicked down all those doors. Inevitably this is going to put her career back again after the incredible graft she has put in to get rides for so many yards. She'd been hoping and expecting that this season would bring her better horses - she will have to graft even harder now, when she does come back, just to make up the ground she will lose; it should not be so, but it is so.

Now that's it's been revealed that Hayley had bleeding on the brain you can understand why they took the decision. When you look at what happened to Natasha Richardson after an apparently simple fall it's scary. I do feel for Hayley, I was looking forward to seeing her ride some great races and silencing some sexist comments....

I'm not sure Colin. I read that she'll be under regular medical review throughout the time. Let's say she had a check up in October, and everything was back to normal, she'd presumably still have to wait until the 12 months were up before resuming race-riding?

There's something in today's post about challenging the 12 month wait.

Can't remember exactly, but it's something to do with if she gets checked out by her own doctors and passed fit, she can then appeal the 12 month wait.

Yes I heard that this morning, apparently she can go back to riding out in about a months time which is why they are finding it hard to accept the 12 month lay off,

It does seem excessive at this stage. I think they should review every 3 months or something like that.

I think the doc is erring very much on the side of caution - I wonder if that is insurance related??! - isn't he the official BHA doctor? I would not be surprised if the decision is overturned at some point.

BHA cannot stop her riding out can they? You do not need a license to ride out.

When I was in Dubai I heard that Hayley's own doctor said to her at the start of the year that the only license she could try and take out for the foreseeable future was a trainers license. So while she is obviously disappointed I am surprised she is so surprised.

Whats more I do not think we should be second guessing medical professionals saying its too harsh etc when we do not know the full facts.

Last edited:
Nope, it was whilst putting one of McEntee's through stalls. If the accident wasn't so bad she probably would have got away with it (meaning she probably could have gotten away with not being stood down since it didn't happen on a racecourse) - I know of a jockey who recently managed to fudge the doctor when he had concussion; when he got off a horse after a race he had to ask where he was! I also know of two others who both broke their necks in riding accidents at home (one of them broke it twice!) but still subsequently btained licences to ride as the powers that be didn't know of their injuries.

Last edited:
I've been very surprised that it's okay for Hayley to continue to drive, if the doctor is worried about her blacking out, as she indicated during her i/v with Jason Weaver on ATR. Also, she said she could (or maybe actually is) riding out, so what's the big problem about race riding, then? If it's possible she could black out, then it's possible she could black out doing 80 mph on a motorway, or cantering a horse on the gallops, surely? She sounded then as if she would contest the "sentence". Does anyone know why she would/could black out when racing, but not during driving or other riding?

She's not riding out at the moment and has said that she's hoping to start riding again in around a month and a half or so.

If the reports are correct and she has the two neurosurgeons reports - the BHA will need expert evidence of its own to contradict that and her neurosurgeons to have commented on it unconvincingly for her not to succeed.

From the RP site:

Turner passed fit to resume race-riding

By Racingpost.com staff8.22PM 9 JUL 2009
HAYLEY TURNER has been passed fit to resume race-riding following a hearing with the BHA's medical appeals panel, chaired by Professor David Silk, in London on Thursday night.
The rider suffered head injuries in a fall on the gallops in March, after which she was informed by Dr Michael Turner, the BHA's chief medical advisor, that she would not be allowed to reapply for her licence until 12 months had elapsed from her accident.
Turner, who was accompanied at her appeal by neurosurgeons, successfully contested that decision and is likely to resume riding at Ascot on Friday.

"Following a hearing of the medical review panel, having heard the latest medical reports, they have recommended that Hayley Turner be granted a licence," said spokesman Paul Struthers.

"Therefore Hayley Turner will be free to ride from Friday."
Turner is set to ride Prompter and Great Charm at Ascot, both of whom are trained by Michael Bell, who was delighted with the news.
Bell said: "I'm very happy with the news. It's been so frustrating for Hayley as we have had the neurosurgeons' reports recommending that she is fit to ride for three weeks but shehas just been waiting for an appeal date.
"It's been frustrating to have to sit and wait but we're delighted with the decision.
"She's going to ride two at Ascot on Friday and she's very excited to be back where she belongs. Hopefully now it will be onwards and upwards."
Turner chalked up her landmark century of winners last year and had partnered 11 winners on the all-weather this year before her fall, in which she sustained memory loss and bruising to the brain.

Back