Hayley Turner stood down 1year

I'm not a neurologist (probably haven't even spelt it right) but I'd start with whose notes he was using. I believe that Hayley had concussion and as stated in early articles remembered everything clearly. The story then changed some what. Had she had any bleeding to the brain it would have been, she is not allowed on a horse for 6 mths minimum and or any physical exercise especially contact sports. It is due to the stress factors involved and any possibility of further slight knocks. Returning to exercise also has to be done in a fairly controlled manner. Plus she was provided with the correct medical treatment following and was in hospital within what is termed the golden hour, therefore reducing the chance of secondary brain damage which occurs if the person as I understand it, has been moved incorrectly etc. It is the secondary part that is the most fatally dangerous I believe, (if you don't take the person to hospital immediately In such circumstances), and the reason as to why medics are allowed to induce coma in order to ensure safer transportation.

Having said all that I am really rather glad Hayley is back in the game and that her injuries were not the hyped up form portrayed. I'd say now for her, what horse is going to give her that group/classic success she quite rightly deserves.

More seriosuly Toobe, would the precautions you're describing be consistant with what happened (or didn't happen) to Natasha Richardson? She had a seemingly less then serious bang on the head and continued ski-ing without being treated in what you term the 'golden hour'?

Hayley's been riding out six lots a day since the fall and kept up her personal fitness regime - hasn't had a fit, passed out, or shown any signs of brain damage, so of course she should be racing. The original report should've said 'until passed fit to race ride', rather than stipulate a finite date - it's not a prison sentence, after all, although it was a denial of earning her usual livelihood. I know all the safety reasons why the caution was in place, but in view of her activities since, it would be pretty daft to insist on continuing to err on the side of it.

More seriosuly Toobe, would the precautions you're describing be consistant with what happened (or didn't happen) to Natasha Richardson? She had a seemingly less then serious bang on the head and continued ski-ing without being treated in what you term the 'golden hour'?

Very similar, I think it is caused by any small damage deeper in the brain which occurred in the intial fall and is further aggrevated by movement especially sudden or severe which in the case of Natasha Richardson would count if she was skiing immediately afterwards. The inner sections of the brain basically rub together during any further disturbance from what I can make out. When an ambulance transports severe cases it is why the head is cushioned to prevent such movement. There is also a process called the blood brain barrier which alters its constitution in a response and one of the reasons as to why you really can't drink alchol in that condition. One thing that may have caused Natasha not to notice may have been the cold believe it or not. I believe in very severe cases a form of hypotherimia is induced to reduce the negative effects of the injury, which also has something to do with the blood brain barrier effects, so in this case it is possible I suppose that the cold may have reduced her noticing the effects to a certain extent. I am a layman on the subject so cannot say in entirety, but I believe it all goes along these lines or similar.

Hayley's been riding out six lots a day since the fall and kept up her personal fitness regime - hasn't had a fit, passed out, or shown any signs of brain damage, so of course she should be racing. The original report should've said 'until passed fit to race ride', rather than stipulate a finite date - it's not a prison sentence, after all, although it was a denial of earning her usual livelihood. I know all the safety reasons why the caution was in place, but in view of her activities since, it would be pretty daft to insist on continuing to err on the side of it.
She has a ride for Bell at Ascot I beleave and I wish her well, but rare riding would shake your brain and that's the reason I would think for the ban. Any head injurry will increase the risk but even in this nanny state we are free to choose it sounds from what she said she.s been going bonkers and driving her mum up the wall,

good luck tomorrow Hayley

:cool:from Andy

Seems as though she is on a good 2yo for her comeback then - Prompter. It looks as though she'll make the seemingly obligatory winning return to the saddle.

I was at the Curragh yesterday and said "welcome back" when she passed by after riding Lady Deaville. She had a smile on her face and and seemed genuinely happy to be welcomed back. She was in the winners enclosure after Sariska won and she was looking very well in her dress and high heels.

She really does - she always has a word for you if you have one for her, never seems to be grouchy or grumpy, and philosophical if a ride hasn't gone the way she expected - no blaming the usual List of Excuses. I have the sense she's open and honest about her rides, and her riding.

Back