Heat

Desert Orchid

Senior Jockey
I appreciate it's a lot hitter in parts of the UK than here in sunny South Lanarkshire but I'm loving the warm weather.

26C at 9.20am. I pay good money to go to places with that kind of heat.

Yeah it’s not too bad down here. I am lucky in that I live in a very old house (16th century) so the walls are thick and it stays cool. Even last night wasn’t too hot to sleep. We have a through draught and keep curtains closed.
Just made some iced tea as I have a committee meeting here to night.

Animals all seem to be OK as they are in the field which has the big field shelter in to keep them out of the flies and the sheep go into tunnels they have made in the hedges which we keep deliberately high for wind and rain protection anyway. My farrier turned up yesterday to shoe the horses after their summer holidays and brought a huge fan with him. He asked if I minded it set up in the barn to help him keep cool. Fine I said. It was noisy but horses didn’t bat an eyelid and actually Reg seemed to really enjoy standing in the cool breeze. Farrier said many owners refused to let him saying their horses would get upset! But then an ex racehorse and ex polo pony have been there, done that, what’s the bother!

I appreciate it is warmer in other parts of the country but I think the media whipping up the “1,000s will die” are an utter disgrace. Just use common sense! Don’t go outside unless you have to, drink lots of water and don’t cool off in lakes, rivers and reservoirs as you are likely to get into trouble.

I appreciate it is warmer in other parts of the country but I think the media whipping up the “1,000s will die” are an utter disgrace. Just use common sense! Don’t go outside unless you have to, drink lots of water and don’t cool off in lakes, rivers and reservoirs as you are likely to get into trouble.

Yes, it will be a difficult few days for many who just aren't used to that kind of heat domestically and don't know how to deal with it but for the media it isn't enough just to say it's an unusually hot couple of days. They have to dramatise it to the point of striking fear into the viewing audience so that they feel obliged to keep watching for updates.

It's all very coldly calculated.

I'll see if I can find an image I saw on FB yesterday and add it. It was a very apt summary of what's happening.

Well, the Met Office don’t want to find themselves in court being sued for damages , do they :)

Popped round to the beach earlier today - only five minutes away from me. Lovely it was.

It’s raining for me at the moment - and we’ve got a thunderstorm coming in tomorrow I think. Yesterday was ok as well - think we hit 34/35 though overnight was 22 at it’s coldest - that wasn’t so much fun, but again - a fan sorted it out fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This week has been particularly cold even allowing for the winter. -12 at my gaff two nights ago and didn't get above -6 all day yesterday.

When it gets below -5 I have to get up every two hours through the night to ensure the pipes don't freeze - I didn't have to do this at all last winter.

Last edited:
Hmm.. The only times I've ever experienced issues related to the cold were when we were in a poorly insulated house about 28 years ago while our house was being built. I think we had about six weeks with temperature regularly well below zero. Then last year when we were in an old rented property while our current house was being built. It was an old sandstone property, the boiler broke down and the landlord, who lived in Texas, wouldn't do anything to help for at least a fortnight. Poor Mrs O ended up in hospital. The 25 years in between in that house we had built for ourselves, regardless of how cold it got outside, never caused us any issues.

We were undoubtedly very lucky with that house and I accept some people will have issues due to the weather but I still don't find it unusual to be this cold now and again during the winter. It's only been a week or so and is due to ease soon.

I'd rather have it like this than horizontal rain for days on end.

We can all agree that people are generally a bit softer these days

Would agree, different times. We had a coal fire in my parents house until I was 18 as the only source of heat. Mum would have her bedrooom windows open all year and her bedroom door , possibly so she could hear us kids at our various ages. No double glazing. Upstairs would be freezing. Literally. To this day I don't like heating in bedrooms.

Would agree, different times. We had a coal fire in my parents house until I was 18 as the only source of heat. Mum would have her bedrooom windows open all year and her bedroom door , possibly so she could hear us kids at our various ages. No double glazing. Upstairs would be freezing. Literally. To this day I don't like heating in bedrooms.

My gorgeous doggy is 12 and doesn't want to go for walks over 20 mins just now. He's never faced -5 for a walk and he doesn't like it. Sensible boy. Was in aviemore when it reached -18 overnight and was-12 at breakfast. I was much younger then but would hate it so cold now. If there is a few inches of snow lying it makes it more bearable but right now it is just annoying with the heavy frosts. 10 degrees on Monday mind you. A bizarre swing in temperatures. Its all the Russians fault apparently.🤣

We were only talking about that yesterday. When the children were little we had no double glazing, the heating wasn’t as good: the house had no porch and both the front and back doors were glazed with thin glass. And when I was a child we just had one coal fire in the living room. But I don’t ever remember feeling cold.

I remember being cold upstairs but just got on with it. We had sheets and blankets, no duvets, we'd just shove extra ones on in the winter. My dad did shifts, 6 am -2 pm or 2pm-10pm. If he was on 6-2 he would light the fire before he went to work so there was heat downstairs when we got up, bathroom was downstairs, toilet technically outside also until I was 18 (out back door, turn right, door to toilet was there ) when it was brought inside by the the council but still downstairs. If he was on 2-10, Mum was up first as she always worked and again would light the fire but it wouldn't have been going since 5.30 ish and you could tell the difference!

We were only talking about that yesterday. When the children were little we had no double glazing, the heating wasn’t as good: the house had no porch and both the front and back doors were glazed with thin glass. And when I was a child we just had one coal fire in the living room. But I don’t ever remember feeling cold.

I have to say, I felt cold a lot as a kid. I grew up in a council house (built 1955) that had single glazing and no insulation at all, and just the coal fire in the living room.

My mother was a housewife until the youngest of us was settled in school and she was up before 6am getting the fire lit. Back then it was normal to get both a daily paper and an evening one so there was no shortage of old newspaper which we were well-practised in rolling tightly into firelighters which were left by the fireside.

I honestly don't ever recall being warm - or comfortable, even - in our bedroom (where the five boys slept) even in summer and winter was awful. I hated having to go to bed there. Eventually my parents bought electric convection heaters but my mother was always deeply worried about the cost of running them. They were switched on about an hour before we were due to go to bed and off once we were sleeping, but we were still never anywhere near warm.

Even as late as 1981, the year I was married and moved into a brand new house, there was only single glazing and no insulation. Newly-wedded conjugality was our only heat source beyond the electric bar fire in the living room. During a hard winter that followed the wedding, we bought a Calor gas canister heater which offered extra warmth but caused massive amounts of condensation. One morning the entire inside of the [ceiling to floor] front window was iced on the inside. When I pulled at the edge, the whole thing crashed down on the living-room carpet. We got it cleared up before it melted and immediately organised a visit to the bank to organise a loan for gas central heating, which made a huge difference.

It would be two houses and eight years later before we bought a [brand new] house complete with double glazing, insulation and gas central heating.

When we were house-hunting not long ago, Mrs O fancied older properties and I kept trying to steer away from them so renting the old, cold sandstone house that we did last year convinced her never to consider any house from now on that isn't a timber-frame, fully-insulated and double/triple glazed one with controllable central heating.

It's probably softened me up no end but I reckon I've done my time with discomfort.

Last edited:
I can’t remember if we put coats on the bed to make it warmer but I remember my dad saying that putting coats on the bed was ‘poverty’. Which means he probably forbade us from doing it. The only reason why we weren’t incredibly poor was that I was an only child: if I’d had brothers and sisters that survived I can’t imagine how we could have afforded to live.

We had eiderdowns which I used to love actually. At one point 6 kids plus Mum and Dad in the house, raging from 19 down to newborn, me, oldest brother had gone in the army when 18, he was 23 years older than me, so out of the house before I came along. Mum and Dad had smallest bedroom in a 3 bed council house they were allocated in 1940 when oldest brother was 1. Dad was then conscripted. Luckily some of Mum's family had moved up from Wales en masse so she had support but still worked in a munitions factory while he was in the Army. Different times.

Back