Help Save Our Horses and Lads Jobs

Flame

At the Start
Dear Sir or Madam;

I want to put something to you today, something to think about and hopefully get a number of your backing with. Something that very shortly will effect a lot of us, you could say I’ve morphed back in time to the era of the early 1900’s and met a group of people in the trenches, it was only then when Baldrick turned to Blackadder and said “I have a cunning plan my lord” did I actually think there is some sense in some of Baldrick’s notions in some episodes of Blackadder Goes Forth.

If you’re too young to remember (you’re very lucky) it was Blackadder Goes Fourth that sticks in my mind, Just as they are about to go over the top, Baldrick turns to tell Blackadder he has a cunning plan, we never hear this plan because the whistle blows for them to go other the top. The rest as they say is history. Blackadder and his men of course were killed in the great war but I get the feeling that Blackadder and their men are a bit like a string of racehorses.

As of March 14th 2009, horses rated 45 and under will no longer be likely to race, the disappearance of 0-45 races from that date, means that a number of trainers who train horses rated 50 and under we no doubt be feeling the end is nigh, as if they are about to go over the top. The real point to this is that certain horses who are rated 46 – 50 have a couple of runs lifeline, now I’m not saying all horses under 45 will not be able to race but it’s a high chance they won’t be able to get into races therefore owners will not pay training fee’s, trainers will lose horses, which means stable lads will lose jobs, which means because of the BHA’s wonderful planning, the economic downturn will see more people out of work.

It does favour the rich who purchase much better horses and have free option to race, but whilst many people are welcoming this call, the re-homing of racehorses centres will be overrun with long waiting lists, and those who won’t have facilities to keep horses will end up having to do what many will decide is cruel and that is, unless they are able to give the horse away they will simply have them put down.

The reasoning behind this decision of the BHA is quite simple, they want better quality racing and by replacing no grade racing prize money can be distributed better. However I notice as I look at the card at Lingfield and Wolverhampton today, a few notable factors. The 0-52 handicap on the Lingfield card, needed to be divided, as more than the 12 runners maximum intended to run, in fact they were easily able to get 24 lining up, yet with prize money on offer of £1,700, unless you come 1st or 2nd you will make a loss on the race, however 24 owners and trainers are willing to make that decision. The only non full race today at Lingfield was a 0-70 1m 4f handicap, a race which awards prize money of £2,700 to the winner. The fact only 6 went to post clearly shows there was no demand for such a race. I could easily guess the reason why as well, today at Wolverhampton there was a 1m 2f (or just short of) 0-75 handicap, and a 1m 4f selling stakes. All these three races would attract similar horses, all for similar prize money, and similar grades. Tomorrow at Southwell we are faced with a 1m 3f 0-65 hcp, and a 1m 6f 0-75 handicap. Yet neither of these races are full up. Yet the two 0-60 races on the card, are both full up and one had to be divided. The clear factor is a 1m 2f – 1m 6f horse, horses of that trip are normally versatile have up to 5 options in two days and could probably get in any race they wanted to, but the low grade race is over subscribed and divided and still oversubscribed. Even more importantly oversubscribed offering well over £1,000 less in prize money.

The simple truth is the BHA haven’t listened to the small owner or trainer, they have continuously backed bigger yards and richer people. They lay on more races for horses which have a choice of races anyway and starve out the lesser horses. If a trainer of 20 horses ends up packing in because 15 of his horses cant get in races, around 5 or 6 staff will lose their jobs and more importantly around 10 of their horses will lose their lives.

I believe there is still time to get the BHA to see sense. I would like to see trainers and owners coming together and proposing to the BHA that they re-think their planned action. A show of signatures and speech from Owners and Trainers alone can only save what could well be near 1000 horses, 100s of jobs and a sport we all love.

I struggle to believe that removing low grade racing detracts the punters, a small days racing at Wolves or Southwell may not draw in bigger crowds but I’m sure more punters would prefer to be betting in a 12 runner 0-45 classified race, or a 12 runner 0-50 handicap than a 6 runner 1m 4f 0-75 hcp, which looks impossible to predict.

Owners support racing, as do trainers and stable lads. The economic downturn will certainly have an effect on the industry and many small owners will pack in, but its not for the fact they cant afford it, its because the opportunity they have been presented in many recent years will shortly be taken away from them.

At Newmarket sales in October I overheard Gay Kelleway saying “there should be a race every week for every horse”, she is correct there should be a race for every horse, not 3 – 5 races for one horse in two days and 1 race every 3 weeks for a lesser horse.

I own a horse who is a winner, and placed on four occasions. He is rated 45 after a couple of bad runs of late, he was a winner off 39 when 6lb wrong at the weights last year and was then placed twice off 48 in two 0-52’s. The horse has only managed to show good form at Wolverhampton has literally 2 optional races he could likely run in between now and March at Wolverhampton. We know the horse is better than his mark but the BHA have not given us a chance to prove it.

If he were rated 10lb or 15lb higher he would have over 20 options between now and March at the same course, I ask how this is fair. Also had he been able to stay 1m as oppose to 7f he would have around 5 chances to prove his worth. The real problem is not the level of racing but the fact the BHA planning system means that certain horses and trips are favoured and the rest are pretty much left to rot.

I would like to see a program put together of say ten meetings to take place in April which will contain 80 races suiting horses purely rated under 50, with 50 of the races 0-45 and the remainder 46 – 50 handicaps. Over a variety of trips spread out between all weather courses.

With the opportunity of races divided. If staged at Kempton or Wolverhampton there is no reason why 10 or 12 races couldn’t be put on given the floodlight facilities. In order to draw a crowd I would urge the racecourses if the idea is accepted to offer free admission, this could see a good turnout where the racecourse would make their money on refreshments sold at the track.

Finally in order for these races to work, we need to look at the fact we would be looking at say 100 races, this at 3k a race would be £300,000 for full sponsorship. Now given racecourses charge 1000 – 1500 to sponsor races, the outside investment would need to be around 150,000 to cover these races. If we are realistic as owners, I would say there would likely be around 200 – 300 horses wanting to run at these races, and with entry fee’s added I feel the opportunity to get each owner wanting this series to run should donate £150 to the fund, this would surely see around £45,000 raised to fund this venture r part of it.

The point I’m trying to make is that a small price could be paid to give our racehorses a chance of competing and proving to the BHA that there is a need for this level of racing in this country, at present Irish trainers are bringing horses over to run in our low grade races as they have none, which will make entry to our low grade races harder for our own horses to run in.

The real fact should be raised, do the punters want big fields or small fields to bet in, do racehorse owners want to be able to keep their fun horses in training and do small trainers want a chance to be able to keep their business going which will keep a number of stable lads employed.

I think we should be encouraging more low grade racing as the fact is with the current economic climate, that the bigger businessmen will be pulling out of racing as they need to cut back, but the syndicates will keep going strong as long as there are races to run their horses in.

I approach you today as an owner who wants a number of trainers and owners to agree with me so our voices can be heard by the racing media and the BHA to show that we would still want a level of low grade racing that the prize money is not the issue, as we are clearly still happy to compete for it. Only a show from owners, trainers and general public to keep this level of racing will keep our low grade horses from what is a time of uncertainty. If the proposed increase of the minimum rating is brought into action, a lot of horses, thousands that is, will no longer be able to race, the very thing they were bred to do and for many it will mean they will have to be put down.

I for one don’t want this to happen and whilst my own horse will have a home for life regardless of the BHA’s decision I know there are many horses who won’t have that luxury.

It’s the breeding now that should be limited to prevent a number of low grade horses for the future, a cap should be put on the number of stallion coverings and more importantly a cap on the level of horses ability so it can breed horses (stallion or mare), therefore we are creating a better future for racing. A better future for racing is not to put a number of horses lives at risk, and a number of peoples job’s at a higher risk.

I would like to know peoples thoughts on the above and please if you feel that you would happily speak out to the press and the BHA and back my proposed plan then please let me know, if we want to make racing see the small owner or trainers point of view you need to make yourself heard.

Please reply if you are willing to try and do something about the BHA’s plans. I know that many of the trainers, owners or punters reading this will agree with what I say, but its not about agreeing its about trying to do something about it, something that if enough people make themselves heard then the BHA would have to listen.

Many Regards in advance;

Chris

Completely agree, Chris. Are you planning an online petition?

As you know, having been in the position of one of the small trainers with such rated horses, I would come into this category. Horses do improve. I keep quoting Madame Jones who started winning off 38 when she won 11(?) handicaps that year. She would be unlikely to ever start that run now. What many people forget or don't realise is that handicappers drop horses for the wrong reasons. Kahlua Bear -10lb for banging his hip leaving the stalls on his first start for me at Bath. Then miraculously put up 13lbs for a second at Kempton 2 runs or so later. FFS he hadn't improved that much. I can't remember the number of times I had to ring up the handicapper and say why have you dropped my horse 2lbs when it got anhilated on the bend and knocked out of the race? Or it was lame when it pulled up (Polar Force - 3lbs drop for a fractured canon bone). It is very very easy to get into the "danger zone" for a couple of poor runs which you have genuine excuses for. Its ironic that we have to give an excuse every time we feel the horse has run below expectations yet the handicapper often ignores this.

The introduction of minimum ratings have not seen loss of jobs in Ireland....for the last few years there has been a huge increase in the number of trainers taking out a licence and an increase in owners. Things will be different this year but for other reasons.

The minimum rating goes up again in January here.

I think the economics of racing are a bit different in the UK to Ireland.

As well as staging the likes of Royal Ascot and Cheltenham, UK racing also provides the daily fodder to the betting shops and this output is taken up by punters in Ireland as much as in the UK.

The value added of Irish racing, therefore, has to be based on quality and generating live attendances.

In the UK, on the other hand, betting turnover and returns from the levy are a key consideration, and there may be more room for a lower layer of racing because of it.

I'm sorry but I can't agree that this move sounds some sort of death knell for British racing; it doesn't.

I cannot see that the rehabilitation centres will be a lot more over-run than they are now; of course there will be more ex-racehorses looking for homes but it won't be the masses some are predicting. Something that is also often omitted from all the doom and gloom reports about the rehabilitation centres is that TBs and ex-racehorses are very much increasing in popularity with the British riding public - so much so that the qualifying factors for entering horses in the very popular 'ex racehorse' classes (be that showing, showjumping, dressage or eventing) have had to be altered. Originally your horse only had to have been registered in training, now they actually have to have run, such is the popularity of these events. This is one of the signs that the situation is not of utter despair that so many would have you believe. I have seen several slow (for slow read useless, if you must) horses or animals that can't stand up to training sold on, and fairly easily, over the last year alone - to good homes too where they are loved. It can be done if the slightest bit of effort is put in.

I also wouldn't be so quick to believe the doom and gloom stories in the Donkey and Dog about horses not selling at all at the moment - I know of several have changed hands of late, and some for decent money, quickly too. Horses are still selling, people are still buying them, and the latest fashion is to have an ex-racehorse nowadays.

Now that's the rehoming addressed, let's get onto the loss of jobs. Do you really believe that there are so many horses rated under 45 out there that in them not being able to run, so many yards are going to have no horses left so the jobs will disappear? Don't be so daft. Staff in racing are so hard to get hold of it's just not funny - anyone in the industry will tell you that. So, on the contrary, if jobs are to be lost then it will probably be a good thing since so many yards are crying out for staff that anyone will get a new job immediately - if not get offered two, or three, or four. The common cry of the past few years definitely has been "we're desperate for staff, we just can't find any" and it still is, so how on earth anyone can work out that there will be swathes of stable lads wandering around on the streets begging as they can't get a job is utterly beyond me.

Now, the idea that in cutting out poor horses, you are penalising the less than rich owners. How does that work? Do only the rich owners hold the monopoly on owning horses good enough to win a race? In fact, if you look at it logically, you'd want to ask why, if an owner is hard up, would they be willing to shell out vast amounts of money on keeping a crap animal in training that is only going to run down the field on every occasion in bike races at Kempton, Southwell, Lingfield or Wolverhampton? These owners have a choice - if it ain't a racehorse, then don't keep it in training as a racehorse! There are several other options to consider, if you really want to race them then there is point to pointing or arab racing if you really must.

Let's not forget that buying cheap horses does not at all mean that you are buying bad horses. If it transpires that your bargain basement bonus horse is slower than the proverbial hearse then it becomes time to consider your options, there are many before you even come to the rescue centre/falling into neglect/culling spheres.

Not every horse has to be a world beater but conversely, neither do they have to be yaks. Don't we want some kind of halt to the constant decline in quality of British racing?

Only reason why theres so many 0-50 rated horse is because 80% of them are being landed for a punt which is because of such low prize money. I am all for BHA trying to introduce better quallity racing and if its to make redundant the 0-50 rated horses where most of the dodgy betting patternings and rides are given then I'll be happy. I can't see why a racecourse in midweek should charge £15 for 4 low handicaps and 2 maidens then £15 on a saturday with potential high grade handicaps/listed races, thats why theres no money because people don't want to go racing midweek and pay to watch dogs when they can pay the same on a Saturday for much better standerd. I don't see what your actually asking the public to do, its trainers and jockies who should protest and go on strike.

Only reason why theres so many 0-50 rated horse is because 80% of them are being landed for a punt which is because of such low prize money

I think the 80% is more like 0.8%. Besides being untalented and unreliable, they don't actually race. They just run fairly fast (within their alloted distance) and if that happens to take them to the front sobeit. A generalisation I admit but not a wholly unfair one.

I also wouldn't be so quick to believe the doom and gloom stories in the Donkey and Dog about horses not selling at all at the moment - I know of several have changed hands of late, and some for decent money, quickly too. Horses are still selling, people are still buying them, and the latest fashion is to have an ex-racehorse nowadays.

There's nobody even buying Donkeys or dogs here at the moment.

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melendez

You should indeed get on to your solicitor. Stealing someone else's line is a serious business.

I am probally nit-picking here but if you start a letter with Dear sir/madam, then the letter should finish with - yours faithfully

IS.

What is technically the difference in many regards in advance or yours faithfully, they mean pretty much the same thing.

Also I would urge you to do more research IS, very few 0-50 races actually have dodgy betting patterns and very few horses would be plotted up at that level.

The dodgiest betting patterns come in maidens.

Also IS, you couldn't get into hardly any decent Saturday meetings for £15, I'm very much sure of that.

Last edited:
What is technically the difference in many regards in advance or yours faithfully, they mean pretty much the same thing.
I agree that if you are writing a formal letter that you should follow formal rules, since the addressee will tend to make a subconscious judgement about the writer based on how well the letter is written. It's harsh, but true.

The simple truth is the BHA haven’t listened to the small owner or trainer, they have continuously backed bigger yards and richer people. They lay on more races for horses which have a choice of races anyway and starve out the lesser horses. If a trainer of 20 horses ends up packing in because 15 of his horses cant get in races, around 5 or 6 staff will lose their jobs and more importantly around 10 of their horses will lose their lives.

Please define "small owner". There is a common misconception that a small owner is one that pays very little for his horses when in fact a small owner is one that has only one or two horses, irrespective of quality. I, on behalf of my syndicates, pay good money for our horses but we are small owners in that each syndicate owns only one horse. Would I be classed as one of those "richer people"?

Competitions are supposed to bring talent to the top. That's what horse racing is and if it doesn't suit one 38 rated horse who went onto become a star, then so be it, there were 100 who didn't. The ratings bands in Ireland needed to be increased to keep numbers down. It should not be economical to have a 45 rated horse in training yet they have races worth €7k in Ireland when a horse rated twice as high races fro the same prize.

Alright, if we're going to be technical about it, Baldrick is unlikely to have addressed Captain Blackadder in the trenches of the first world war as "my Lord". Lord Blackadder originated from the second series (the Elizabethan adders). By the time the fourth series was aired the Blackadders had lost their noble lineage.:p

More seriously Flame, I'm not sure that the opening paragraph works, and I'd be more inclined to leave Blackadder out all together as I'm sure there must be more pertinent and punchy ways of making the same point more concisely.

But don't ask me, I'd be the last person to advise on such issues. Why use 2 or 3 words when 20 will do?

Whilst not wanting to support any initiative that loses people their jobs, the abolition of substandard races can only be a good thing for the sport.

There should be less fixtures, with those at the bottom end cut out.

Whilst not wanting to support any initiative that loses people their jobs, the abolition of substandard races can only be a good thing for the sport.

There should be less fixtures, with those at the bottom end cut out.

You've just supported an initiative that loses people their jobs.

Me? No, not at all. I would cut down the calendar dramatically, no 0-50, and less races for horses rates 50-65. I have no idea who to solve the overproduction problem.

The only reason I inserted the opening sentence before my point was to not seem completely unaware and unsympathetic to the fact that initiatives like the above, whilst imo good for racing, affect people's livelihoods. However, I don't think racing has a duty to keep people in employment.

Me? No, not at all. I would cut down the calendar dramatically, no 0-50, and less races for horses rates 50-65. I have no idea who to solve the overproduction problem.

The only reason I inserted the opening sentence before my point was to not seem completely unaware and unsympathetic to the fact that initiatives like the above, whilst imo good for racing, affect people's livelihoods. However, I don't think racing has a duty to keep people in employment.

I was directing it at Flame Hamm! I completely agree with you.

Everyone admits there is huge over production in the breeding industry right now and measures should be taken to deal with the issue. Any measures that lead to the reduction of the foal population will lead to the loss of jobs.....so by Flame's assessment that should not be done and we should enourage mass over production to get even more jobs regardless of the quality of the stock.

Any trainer with 20 horses and 15 of which are due to be removed from the system due to these measures SERIOUSLY needs to look at themselves.

While Grey brings up some fair points about the comparison of Ireland and The UK I still cannot think of a single trainer in Ireland that went solely out of business due to the last minimum rise in handicap minimums.

If people are willing to pay training fees for useless animals, I don't see what the problem is. There is a market for the lower end product in the betting shops and top end product is not being diluted, in fact, I suspect, it is being somewhat subsidised, by the dross.

People interested in Horse Racing as a sport, rather than a casino, can decide for themselves what actually constitutes the proper racing level and ignore the rest.

Last edited:
Back