Highland Reel

LBM

At the Start
Any views on this horse?
I was very impressed by his performance today.
I think he is very green, still doesn't know what this game is about but he's got an engine. Head carry is a worry, but I hope he improves that with experience.
His pedigree is very good as he is from one of the most successful female lines in Australia.
He looks like a mix between St Nicholas Abbey and Rip Van Winkle, If that makes any sense....
Anyway, I know I shouldn't have but I couldn't help myself and I back him for next year derby e/w at 40/1.
Really looking forward to follow this horse in the future.

Good engine,
difficult to rate the form at the moment ,
if the anticts are because of greened very promising and good pedigree, but they dont send the best horses to Gowran very frequently.

not a great time compared to the other races with 50 odd rateds in them...did they go slow early?..if they didn't then its no great shakes...if they did could be anything

not a great time compared to the other races with 50 odd rateds in them...did they go slow early?..if they didn't then its no great shakes...if they did could be anything

The handicap over the same distance looks an odd race. Winner is 8yo but won by 10 lengths. Would probably get an OR in the low 70s after that if he wasn't so exposed (might anyway!).

HR ran the same time carrying a little bit more. The official WFA scale doesn't actually cover 2yos running over a mile in July, but in early August its 37lbs dropping 3lbs per 2 weeks, so it would probably be as much as 43lbs. Good thing we already know the official WFA scale for 2yos is bollocks, isn't it?

The Timeform WFA would probably be about 28 lbs, so we're still looking at a rating around 100... but as I say, that handicap looks odd.

Edit: Just watched the replay... apprentice handicap, winner sent to the front early, given way too much rope, rest never get close.

only gave it a glance tbh..will have another look later

wfa poundage on the clock at a mile on my scale is about 25lb at this time of year

thought i might as well rate the whole card..used RP standard times

Date - Speed Fig-Course...+/- OHR

01-Jul-14 89 Gowran Park..+09...HIGHLAND REEL
01-Jul-14 65 Gowran Park...-17...ANGEL OF JOY
01-Jul-14 62 Gowran Park..+11...BADGER DALY
01-Jul-14 36 Gowran Park...-34...ARTISTIC INTEGRITY
01-Jul-14 76 Gowran Park...-05...EIGHTEEN SUMMERS
01-Jul-14 56 Gowran Park..+09...WILDCAT KITTEN
01-Jul-14 51 Gowran Park...-24...LEAF

Going = 35lbs fast per mile= G/F nearing Firm

Last edited:
Difficult card to make sense of; certainly looked to pay to race prominently.

I was impressed with Gleneagles in the maiden on Pretty Polly day.

Back